Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Icom IC-4KL Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-4KL
Icom IC-4KL Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6,700
Description: 1 kW solid state amp with integrated fully automatic antenna tuner. 160-12 meter bands, easy mod for 10 meter band. FULLY controlled by Icom tranceivers for seamless operation. Remote control head compliments and places next to tranceiver while main unit is out of the way on casters (wheels). This amp was made from aproximately 1990 to 1996-97.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-4KL.

K7IM Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2002 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this 4KL for several years now. Bought it used. Simply the best amp I have ever had the pleasure of using. No issues noted, it simply works great everytime I put it on the air. I will keep this amp as long as I continue with ham radio.

W7AX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2001 09:50 Send this review to a friend
one of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been the owner of this fine amp for the last year now. I must say that it is the ultimate in performance and ease of operation. I use mine with the Icom 781 and it is a perfect matrix. I use several other amplifiers here and they all work well but for simplicity and quick QSY, the 4KL can't be beaten. Some folks don't like the fan noise but to me it is hardly noticeable. It is not as quiet as the Collins 30S1. Nothing is as quiet as the 30S1! I can give this Icom an easy '5' ....the engineering in this rig deserves no less.

W0HFG Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2001 10:13 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST I'VE OWNED  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'VE HAD TWO OTHER SOLID STATE AMPS (ALS 600 AND IC2KL) BOTH WORKED VERY WELL, AND THREE OTHER TUBE AMPS FROM 500 WATTS TO 1.5KW, BUT THE 4KL IS IN A CLASS OF IT'S OWN.. STILL BRINGING $3500 ON THE USED MARKET MEANS IT IS A HIGH END AMP..
I CAN WATCH THE WEB CLUSTERS AND JUMP FROM BAND TO BAND WITHOUT EVER THROWING A CARRIER ON THE AIR,(OR INTO A DUMMY LOAD). THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS THAT IT ONLY WORKS WITH ICOM RIGS, (NOT A PROBLEM WITH ME AS I'M 100% ICOM ANYWAY). IF YOU WANT A FULL KW OUTPUT AND EASE OF OPERATION, GET ONE IF YOU GET THE OPPORTUNITY. THERE AREN'T TOO MANY OUT THERE FOR SALE.. I KNOW I'LL HAVE MINE A LONG TIME....

W4AWI Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2001 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Time Proven Tech Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a high-tech wonder. Got rid of old-tech tuning knobs and wasted time on amp and antenna tuners. Now I hop from band to band instantly. Some bands I need antenna matching, some I dont. It does not care. It even remembers what matching was needed last time on a particular band segment for even faster tuning. Output ranges from 900W at 10M to 1250W on 20M and lower bands. Ive run RTTY for hours without a hiccup at full output. The temp guage always in the green. I recently bought it after learning of this model from nearby DXers. Found it second hand as it is no longer being made. It seems a lot heavier-duty than the newer/cheaper PW-1. The only drawback are the multiple fans, one of which is quite a hummer, alarming during the first week, used to it now.