Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters HT-32 Transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters HT-32 Transmitter
Hallicrafters HT-32 Transmitter Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $675
Description: ham band transmitter 80-40 meter SSB, AM, and CW

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters HT-32 Transmitter.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2008 11:49 Send this review to a friend
A fine Piece for shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine at the Livermore,CA hamswap from a gentleman for sixty dollars!He had bought it in the late 1960's and it died sometime in the 70's. Either he was not very observant,or just wanted an excuse to buy a new rig because all that was wrong was a blown fuse in the line cord! That's right sports fans. This jewel has not one, but two fuses right at the plug where it goes into your house AC socket! To make a long story short. I love this radio and even though my SX-101A is not the EXACT matching receiver it sure is fun to put these two behemoths of yesteryear on the air. My transmitter is the mark1 model which has 11 meters. No that's not a typo. 11 meters used to be a ham band before the FCC snatched it away in the late 1950's. I like the idea that my rig is at least twenty years older than I am(born in 1976)and still works well. Not to mention that when I have friends in the shack, both ham and nonhams comment on the Hallicrafters station more than the Icom 756Pro or the new Yaesu FT-450. I guess a rice box is still just a rice box when you put some distinguished american steel next to it. Don't get me wrong, I love the quick QSY and DSP. Not to mention knowing that you are right on frequency with the new stuff, but dust cooking on your finals and the glow that boatanchors emit after dark is just mesmerizing to me. Get one if you can and you will see...

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2007 13:50 Send this review to a friend
One of Hallicrafter's best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my HT-32A for about 15 years now. It has been one of my favorite boatanchors to use. Coupled with the SX-101A receiver, the two make a really nice combo. I've always received great audio reports on SSB and AM. CW works fine with no problems as well (definitely get the T.O. Keyer!). This was my main HF setup for a number of years after I had to sell my Kenwood TS440S (noticed I dumped the modern stuff when I needed the $$ after smacking up mom's car before selling the tube gear!) A few years ago I brought the pair up to the Field Day site for my shift at the CW tent. It was a blast to use the pair and I was able to keep up the pace with no problems, probably did 100+ Q's! These can be had for a few hundred in nice shape and I would highly reccommend one for someone looking for a real boatanchor.

W1BKZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2007 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Ahead of its time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
At one point during the late '70s, I had the triplets, the HT-32, SX-101A, and the HT-33B. Quite a combo. As a system the units functioned well together. Individually, I wasn't too thrilled with the rcvr, but the xmtr and its big brother were superb. The transmitter was clean and quite stable. It also performed very well on CW (what's that??????). The amplifier works better if you have a 2:1 xfmr to get 230 down to 115. The house lights don't flicker quite so much...Back to the HT-32. It is simple to operate, and once you get used to the function of the controls, it is a snap to change bands, tune up, and get into making contacts. I do not recommend taking it out for field day, however, unless you have a good back...hi,hi.

KC9OD Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2003 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Impressive bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
My HT32 was part of a lot purchase from a CB shop owner disposing of all non-CB radios. It needed exterior cleaning but seems to work o.k. The vfo control is really smooth. Some controls work differently than latest rigs but are effective.

W0ZPT Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2003 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Transmitter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased my HT-32 from our local used radio store who aquired it from the estate of a silent key. The owner of the radio store was told that the HT-32 was last used 15 years ago, so it was slowly brought up with a variac to make sure it was in working condition and to make sure it would'nt blow any capacitors. I took the transmitter home, naturally risking a hernia and a back injury carrying it into the house. I tested the transmitter to find out that it only worked on 80 and 20 meters. After studying the theory of operation, it was real easy to figure out that it had a bad 6AB4 heterodyne ocillator tube, which I robbed out of my HT-37, since I did'nt have an extra one laying around. After that, the transmitter worked perfectly, and I decided to set up a station with it by pairing it with my Racal RA6790 receiver, a fairly tricky process but it can be done. I checked into a local 10 meter SSB net with this combination and got a great signal report from the net control operator, who also commented on the excellent sounding audio. I was very impressed by this transmitter, having sat all those years and needing almost no work at all to get it going again. I highly recommend this tranmitter for the boat anchor enthusiast that also enjoys operating vintage equipment.

W4IIV Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2001 23:14 Send this review to a friend
NICE FIXER UPPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
Came to me with a bad power transformer.
fixed it and been good ever since very stable
excellent audio called "the best signal on the band"
proud to have it as a part of my main station