Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone
Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$399.00
Description: Yaesu Newest Desktop Microphone, Hi-Fi
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone.

ON4MHO Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 01:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this mic for several months now and all I can say is wowww! Beautiful design, rugged, excellent audio, a really nice addition to the shack. Just a little compression and I am often complimented about my audio. A real keeper.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: more than 12 months
It looks super and also works just as good as it looks

Used with my FT-897D, all functions work as they should.

No need for an adaptor cable, as the lead is reversible so i can use the modular or circular connector - Genius

A little pricy, but very unique and worth the investment

SV1QOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 13:37 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great mic,
Design,sound,settings.
I combined with my yaesu ft -950.

GOEDK Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2013 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced glamour piece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the MD-1 which I use with my FT950, I have been given great reports which for $60 second hand is ok, I had the chance of the MD 200 for the same price so I did a side by side test with local hams, "they sound exactly the same", so not wanting two mics I gave it back. Maybe I should have kept it as a spare, but I am on here to give a report, and I recon the Mike is way over priced-like everything!!

N2FSU Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic with Modifications  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Mic for my FT-847 about a year ago. I love the retro look of the mic. I use my 847 for HF as well as VHF/UHF FM. On HF I had great audio reports using the Mic, however on FM the reports were that my audio was low even with the mic gain turned all the way up. To fix that, I bought a 3 wire electret condenser microphone element which was easy to add as the second mic element. Now while on FM I am told that the mic has the best fidelity of any other mic I have ever used. The only other complaint with the mic I have is that to access the low cut switch you have to completely dismantle the base of the microphone. To fix that I de-soldered the switch from the current location and re-soldered it to the opposite side of the same board. Then I cut a small hole in the bottom cover of the microphone. Now I can get to the low cut easily. I know I rated the mic a 4 out of 5, but since I have done all these mods I easily rate this mic a 5++.

W9KDX Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2012 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs some tweaking.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I read a number of old reviews stating that there was too much bass and that there was a "secret" switch on the back of the circuit board in the base that needed to be reset to "B". This is still the case. For me, this mike still has too much base. Possibly, bass response is hard to do and the manufacturer felt a Hi Fidelity mike would be one with more bass than the rest. In any case, I needed to adjust the ring around the element to the 7 o'clock position as well as significantly roll off base response in my transceiver to get what I felt was a realistic response. At that point, the audio was excellent; crisp and clear.

From my perspective, the fit and materials are worth $100. The quality of the element and the adjustments are another $100. Yaesu charges another $100 just to get their name and a match for their other products and the last $70 is just an overcharge. However, it looks like nothing else I can find. If you like this look, you will love this mike. Just do your best to forget how much you will have to spend.

K9EE Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2012 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my MD-200 for about 12 years and find it to be a great microphone to match my FT-1000MP MKV. I get great audio reports all the time. However, I am now having the intermittent problem mentioned several times in the forum. I called Yaseu and they told me they didn't carry the main PTT switch or the circuit board any longer. Has anyone changed out the PTT switch and what switch did you use.

PD2MZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
After I switched the hidden switch in A position its okay with EQ on in the FT-DX 5000 and looking good works great on the 857 on 2 meter fm

VA3KNY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Originally I was getting complaints of the mic. having too much base. I was not happy with the complaints I was receiving and after some investigating I found the answer. I use the mic. on a Yaesu FT920. Remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the mic. base and you will see a switch on a board labelled A and B. This is a tone switch A being the higher of the two. It comes set in the B position and the VSPC ring around the mic. element I moved to about the 5 o'cock position. Everything is great now and no more bad complaints nothing but good compliments now. Why there is no mention of this switch in the manual is beyond me. Hopefully this may help someone as I have read about others having the same problem.

IZ3JJD Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2010 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Great, Great !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use one with my Yaesu FT-950 and it's working very well. Before I used a MD-100 selecting the step mený 64 J3E of the rig to 4-26, having a good modulation. But now it's another thing...I just can say Great, Great!