Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone
Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$399.00
Description: Yaesu Newest Desktop Microphone, Hi-Fi
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone.

K2KOQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Like a expensive Broadcast Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Use it on a FT-2000. Best sounding Mic I have ever used on ham radio...For Rag chew audio..this is the one you need...If you just want to break a pile up a cheaper one will do.

LU1DAW Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Great Audio!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this mic in a FT-897 and the sound is great, but when I use it with the FT-950 is simply AMAZING!!! THE BEST!!! I compare with the Kenwood MC-60 and they are the day and the night.
If you want to have a great loudness sound with presence, I recomend you this mic, if you only want to use for DX, maybe you can use other mic more cheaper.
Best 73´s

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2008 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Still Execellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my Feb 25, 2008 note and of course no change. I still like my MD-200 and have received NO complaints from hams that they can't understand me. No complaints that it's overdriven, just No complaints at all. Just conditions are the only complaints but then we all have that complaint. If your still not sure then listen to someone that has the Mic and you will understand what we are all talking about that it's a great mic. Buy one you won't regret it. Not only will you like the way it works but you will also like the way it matches up with your Yaesu radio including the matching Yaesu speaker. So go to your local Ham Radio store and put those sheckles that are loading down your shorts pockets on the counter and get your own mic.

73's, Mike, N0mud

W2TB Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2008 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Great for my voice...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many mics over the years, and I can honestly say, I really like the way this mic sounds. Very clear, great range, true reproduction of my voice. The on-the-air reports I get from my Mark-V Field are the best audio reports I have ever received.
I picked it up second hand and I am very happy with it.

EI5GJB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2008 15:13 Send this review to a friend
a pleasant mic..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i have been using this mike for about 6 months now and i cant fault it. the radio reports speak for them selfs. i use it with a yeasu ft1000mp mark v.
i had a kenwood ts870s and a mc-90 mic, that was a good combo but this is like ham and mustard. a bit of setting up at first to suit your voice and when thats done,enjoy..5++++++++

VK2FTNY Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Better buys for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this mic for over 12mths and actually find this a very nice mic both visually and in audio characteristics,But for the money you can definatly pick up a much better mic and boom combo especially for studio use as the md-200 is marketed.Behringer,Heil and numerous others make better sounding and visually appealing mics at much lower prices.But having said that if your after that matching piece for your yaesu setup you wont be dissappointed in the md-200.Your wife my hate you but the bank manager will love you instead.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for four years now and it's hooked up to my Yaesu FT-897D and works just fine. I've never had anyone tell me they can't hear me. If they can't it's because of my antenna. It's a hustler 6btv and not very high. When I had my beam up I never had any negative reports. Soon my beam will be back up. I like the looks of the mic, it sits in front of my radio and the two of them are a perfect match. Yes it's expensive but it's well worth the money you spend. If your going to spend alot of money on your radio well then you should spend alot of money on your desk mic and the MD-200 is the best way to go. If you have a friend that has one try his first, I guarantee that you will be surprised as to how well it sounds. Go listen to your radio and hear him talk you will like what you hear. Then go buy your own, you won't regret it.

73's Mike, NØmud

KA2EEV Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2008 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think that my expectations were way too high when I ordered this microphone new from HRO...and I'll have to admit, the good looks of this mic persuaded my purchase as well. It was kind of like a hot chick with a great pair of legs in a mini skirt giving me one of those coy smiles with a sly wink.
The MD-200 can certainly boast some very nice design features with its solid die cast aluminum construction and its flattering good looks, but I have to honestly say that its overall performance was hardly what I expected and it turned out to be a real disappointment. My old EV 664 actually sounds far superior. The two main character flaws that I discovered with this mic is the lack of true fidelity and its lower than average output. The frequency response is adjustable from "flat" to full "high fidelity"...yet, the results are hardly what you would call studio quality. Its audio seems to have somewhat of a muffled effect and it is necessary to talk close with the audio gain on the rig cranked up higher than normal to compensate for the mics low output. The inside of the microphone housing allows for the installation of a separate mic element if desired by the user. There is a slide switch at the base of the mic which then selects between the MD-200 element or the user installed element. Perhaps this option was included just in case the operator is not satisfied with the mics own internal components, but still wants to show off its attractive appearance?
Yaesu touts the MD-200 as being your deluxe desk microphone capable of exceptional fidelity. Maybe Keith Richards was on hand with the Yaesu audio crew along with a bottle of Jack Daniels at 3 a.m. in the morning during the sound check?
If you want a microphone that's real pretty and has that classic look, then you'll get a lot of admiration with this beauty sitting by your rig...but, you better be prepared to make use of that separate optional mic element too. Finally, the retail price on this microphone averages between $379.00 to $399.00. You'll be wishing you had a bottle of Jack Daniels after shelling out that kind of cash for this piece of eye candy. The MD-200 is highly inflated...certainly not worth it...and definitely not recommended.

KB1KVL Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2007 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your time with it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this mic NEW from ebay.I paid $305 for it. The mic is sharp looking. Very professional looking. The audio quality is good, however, the volume sux. I have it hooked up to a Yaesu 857D and the modulation meter reads very low. I asked for an "on the air" report. They told me the stock mic is much louder than the MD-200. As an example, on SSB I run the mic gain at 30 with the stock mic. The meter goes up to about 70% of the scale. With the fancy desk mic, the meter barely moves. I raised the mic gain to 100 and the MD-200 puts out about 1/2 of what the stock mic will do. It is barely adequate. I feel that I wasted $305 on that mic. The way that I feel, if the mic doesn't perform as good as the stock one, it deserves a big zero. It looks good but it doesn't have as good a volume as the stock mic. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS ONE.

2E0JPT Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 03:16 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
great mic and sounded good, looks are amazing, BUT if your going to spend this much buy a PR-40 like i have now.