Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Heathkit HW-16 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HW-16
Heathkit HW-16 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $50-100 on E-Bay
Description: A golden oldie-Get the VFO too!
More info: http://kcom.us/OldHeathkitParts/hw16-parts.htm

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HW-16.

KC0GXX Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2001 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun as heck, get the VFO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first RF transceiver, I got it used from E-bay in 1999. It works fine, a little down on 15 meter, but 75 watts on 40 and 80 meters. It is known for its nice reception, and sends quite a nice "CW only" signal. I also picked up the HG-10B VFO and recommend you do also. Without it, you are literally "rock-bound", and can only operate at whatever freq your xtal is! Some day I will recondition and fix that problem with 15 meter, but it so fun I just may keep it the way it is. I love these old Glowbugs, and hope you do too!

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2000 14:54 Send this review to a friend
My first rig, like my first girl...oh well, u get the picture!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My very first rig as a newly minted ham back in 1977, while in high school, was the HW-16 with HG-10 VFO. I ran an attic dipole on 15 meters, and to this day, had the most fun i've ever had with ham radio. I was entranced at the fact that I could work lots of DX with this inexpensive rig, and this radio afforded me a chance to really build my CW skills. Great piece of nostalgia!

WB9OFG Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2000 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Ah, Nostalgia....  Time owned: more than 12 months
well, here we go down memory lane again. I owned a HW-16 When I first got my Novice ticket in 1971. Paid $109 for it, without the VFO (Novices were rock-bound then) Checked into 80M traffic nets, worked a lot of DX on 15, Couldn't figure out why all those SWBC stations were sitting on MY Xtal freqs.....I cant remember if I disabled the sidetone or not, but I ignored it, since the HW worked full break-in and you could hear yourself on Xmit. Sold it for 50 bux, was going to get a new HW-101 when I upgraded, and blew the test.....It wasn't until 10 years later that I got back on HF again. Always regretted selling that rig, now I have another, only this time I got the HG-10B VFO, too....This one's here for keeps. I don't recall the rcvr being that bad. Optimized for CW, and it seemed sensitive enough.

WA1PIX Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2000 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Fun to refurbish and operate.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a Heathkit HW-16 about two years ago, and just now pulled it off the shelf to work on it. I was impressed with its performance, compared to what I had expected from a vintage, inexpensive, CW-only rig. Mainly, I was surprised at its selectivity for CW and sensitivity on 15 meters. In fact, I'll be working 15 more, now that I have a neat little rig that performs this well on the band! One thing you should be aware of: The product detector uses high-side injection, which means that (disregarding the narrow CW bandwidth of the radio) you will only be able to hear SSB converstations on 15 meters, where the normal practice is to use upper sideband modulation. Any SSB heard on 80 and 40 will come out as inverted modlulation. I do get a kick out of listening in to Canadian hams who have phone priveleges inside the US CW portion of 80 meters. A simple solution for this would be to replace the 3396.4 kHz crystal in the BFO with a crystal cut for 3395.6 kHz, producing low-side injection. A switch between the two crystals would be nice. Also, the rig contains a totally separate receiver and transmitter. One could switch off the heaters of the three transmitter tubes when only monitoring. As with any Heathkit, go easy on the mods and don't ruin the front panel. Unlike most other Heathkits rigs, the HW-16 has a totally self contained AC power supply. I'm having a lot of fun with this rig and hope the tubes last me for a while. If you can find one in reasonable shape, grab it and you can have a lot of fun too. It's easy to work on and glows!

N4LQ Rating: 3/5 Nov 11, 1999 08:32 Send this review to a friend
3 Band CW rig  Time owned: unknown months
Here is a simple 3 band CW rig. The HW16 was really a transceiver or sort-of. The receiver is tuned from the front panel but the transmitter was xtal controlled or you supply your own vfo like the HG-10. It had a single conversion superhet receiver with a double pole xtal filter in the IF amplifier and a fixed 500hz bandwidth. Full breakin or QSK was used which really worked well. Sidetone was generated by a neon bulb circuit producing a horrible and unstable raspy sound. These rigs are popular at hamfest and can usually be found for around $75 which is a bargin. Keying is excellent, sensitivity not so hot and stability fair. Certainly a fun little boatanchor.

K5WZI Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 1999 18:16 Send this review to a friend
A very nice cw rig!  Time owned: unknown months
I built and operated a HW-16 back in the 70's. I don't remember having any problems with it. I wish that I still had it! I sold it and bought a HW-101 kit which was also a nice rig. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used HW-16 that was in good shape.