Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Force 12 Sigma-5 vertical dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Force 12 Sigma-5 vertical dipole
Force 12 Sigma-5 vertical dipole Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $369.99
Description: 5 band HF vertical antenna. 9 ft. tall
More info: http://www.force12inc.com

You can write your own review of the Force 12 Sigma-5 vertical dipole.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2003 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you can't put up full sized dipoles at least 1/2 wavelength on 20 - 10, then this antenna will perform about the same. If you have horizontal antennas that suffer from high angle noise during crummy conditions, and you want an efficient vertically polarized antenna without traps or radials then this antenna might be your anwer.

With some patience and skill, you can work DXCC with 100W and this antenna.

I experienced the same tuning as everyone else -:1.5 : 1 or less except on 20M. But it tunes 1:1 on all bands with my TS-2000's internal tuner, so no problem - I won't be touching the coils.

Pretty amazing given its size!

VE6SH Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2002 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up the display model of the Sigma 5 a the Dayton Hamvention. I have a ZR3 at one QTH and was pleased with the performance.

The Sigma 5 works great. Easy to set up and mount. From a restricted QTH I have run a full KW with great results.

Like all F12 products the support is excellent.

KT4QD Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2002 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Fine antenna, worth the wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited about 6 weeks for the antenna. I ordered before the QST review, which probably helped. Only hitch in assembling the antenna was one set of screw holes which didn't exactly align.
A little force got the job done. Like MANY reviews (even QST), I had to adjust the 20M band which was originally centered around 13.9. It is hard to believe that all of us have installation anomolies that require this adjustment to the "factory tuning". Anyway, the adjustment is straight-forward.

The antenna performs FB on all bands with a very stealthy profile. I have painted mine with flat paint to aid in hiding.

KW0L Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2002 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Imposible to adfjust  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna until I tried to adjust 12-15-17 meters. I have never been able to get these bands to a usable SWR. I E mailed Force 12 and was told I should have not adjusted any coils other than the 20 meters coils. The others are set at the factory and should not be touched. Now I have a vertical that is good on only 10-20 meters.
So a word to the wise and touch only the 20 meter coils. I think the antenna is of poor design when it comes to field adjustments

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2002 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say.....this is one great antenna and it is PERFECT for a "stealth" setup. I have only had the antenna for about a week and I have already worked plenty of DX with it, with only 100 watts. It is the simplest antenna to put together and no tools are required to put it together. It took me all of 20 minutes or so and within an hour I had it mounted on a pipe in the back yard. Antenna construction is excellent and the materials it is made of are first-class.

I am in a CCR restricted area and this little beauty is VERY easy to hide. It is only 9 feet tall and is very lightweight. If CCR's are your problem, this is THE antenna for you. Heck, you could even mount it in a 5 gallon bucket of cement(as Force 12 suggests) and put the antenna away when you are through operating. The SWR is low on all bands, I don't even need my tuner. There is one adjustment for 20 meters(very simple) and once set for the portion of the band you operate, no other adjustments are required.

In the short time I've had it, I've worked: J75, G4, 9K2, CT1, ZV5, SM5, FG5, JY5, HK3, YV5, LZ2, S59, ZS6 and the ZL7C DX-Pedition! Reports have ranged from a low of 55 to 20 over S9. I've made these contacts on 10, 15,17 and 20 meters. I've not tried the antenna on 12 or 24 meters yet.

If you are looking for a stealth antenna that looks and works great, take a look at this one.

AE6AZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2002 02:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fixed in a 5 gallon bucket of concrete (with a plastic sleve insert for the base) in the private ground floor courtyard of my condo in downtown Palo Alto, CA, this antenna puts out a great signal.

During the last week since I assembled it (very easy to do), working 20m, 17m, and 10m I have made contacts in Australia, South America, and Eastern Europe along with numerous US stations with strong signal reports. My rig is an ICOM 706 MKIIG wwith the AT 180 Tuner.

Surrounded on one side by a 5 story building (of which my Condo is but one unit), a 6 foot fence around the 10ft by 20ft courtyard, with a two story building 30 feet away opposite the condo, an urban valley, I still get out.

And...no radials! And no complaints from neighbors.

I did tune the 20m band for voice so that I would have less than 2.0 swr in my operating range. Very easy to do.

I will buy another unit for use at my alternate QTH!

G4RFF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2001 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is great. I have it on the flat roof of a five storey building in downtown Manhattan. My QTH is pretty bad -- surrounded by high buildings, a large Manhattan "water tower," inquisitive neighbors, noisy air conditioners etc. It is "mounted" in a bucket of cement. I am essentially a weekend HF operator. Despite all of this, over the last two weekends, I have worked, effortlessly, using 100-150 W with my Yaesu FT 1000 MP Mark V, stations in South America, New Zealand, Europe, and the Caribbean. I have even busted a pile up or two. Several stations have even asked whether I'm using an amplifier. The antenna takes minutes to set up and is very portable. The VSWR is consistently around 1:1.5 or less across all bands. What a great way to get back into HF after a long absence! Check out this antenna.

PS: The customer and after sales service at Force 12 is phenomenal.

W2/G4RFF

AA7DG Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2001 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Great new antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While attending the recent Hamvention, I happened into the Force 12 booth and saw the prototype of a new 5 band vertical. I ordered it on the spot and received delivery around 7/19. This was one of the first shipped.
The performance is incredible. Better than any other vert. I have tried (Butternut, Cushcraft & Hy-Gain) It's only 9 ft tall! It really is a vertical diopole as it is center-fed. you won't be sorry.