Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | DXTelnet Help

Reviews Summary for DXTelnet
DXTelnet Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $35 USD Lifetime Registration
Description: Software for monitoring various DX-Clusters on the internet also connection to real time DX-Chat nodes (Telnet and IRC). Has a fully functional demo version available for download. Download site: http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/telnet.htm
More info: http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/telnet.htm

You can write your own review of the DXTelnet.

W8TRN Rating: 0/5 Jan 28, 2008 00:18 Send this review to a friend
POS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried this and, like other software, is woefully lacking in user friendly instructions. The usual response from the community or the software developer is: read : "help" section. Here's a simple problem: immediately after downloading DXTelnet, it reset my computer clock to GMT. I have tried everything I know to restore the computer clock to local time. Nothing works to restore the time. I simply won't waste my time on software that is not idiot proof, yes, you read that right, idiot proof. Nor will I waste my time with endless e-mails to the software guru who can't or won't address the problem. His monetary loss, not mine.

K1ZX Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2007 03:50 Send this review to a friend
Download It !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
YES, It works like a charm with LogEQF, couldn't be easier. Download it without reservation!

Just toggle back & forth between screens from DXTelnet (F8 or F9), then switch back to LogEQF (Esc). It also works beautifully with CT Contest software as well. Many convenient Menu features, like turning ON/OFF Sound announcement, setting up spots from this Continent only (NA) or All Continents, filtering to show only the bands you're interested in, etc.

Best of all it's Shareware from IK4VYX, just like WinEQF/LogEQF, so you can try it out for free. Tom Dandrea (N3EQF) must have had something to do with it. Perfectly complimentary/compatible.

Lorraine, K1ZX

EI4HQ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2002 09:54 Send this review to a friend
With a bit of ingenuity-fabulous!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Further to my earlier review of DX-Telnet I re-visted the problem I was having with a slightly different telnet configuration (2 connections instead of 1). After some to-ing and fro-ing (and again more very patient advice from Fabio, DX Telnet's author) I've managed to find a very successful workaround. I'm now happy to report we have a fully automated, relaible and efficient bridge - thanks Fab!

KB8GC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2002 22:14 Send this review to a friend
You simply MUST at LEAST try this!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, you should know that support is second to NONE, period. Lot's of features, integration with logging program (like VQLog), very fair price, and prompt support communication. I simply love having it talk my wanted DX spots to me so I can keep it going in the background whilst I get other things done. Yes - it actually speaks the spots I want to work outloud on my computer so I know when to break from work and go do ham radio!

HB9CQK Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2002 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent functionality and first class support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you have an always-on Internet connection and work with DX clusters this is THE software for you.
I am using DX Telnet together with Swisslog. This is a very powerful combination. DX Telnet gives me all the DX announcements. I can filter them to my Requirements and Swisslog graphically shows me what I have worked/confirmed/not worked and displays the DX on a gorgeous World Map.
I had some problems getting it to run under Windows xp, but Fabrizio’s (IK4VYX) first class and almost instantaneous Email support finally made me aware of what I was doing wrong. Fabrizio and Walter (HB9BJS, the author of Swisslog) even mailed together to find a solution. This is really far from the usual „ask the other software support“ answer that you often get. DX Telnet does not have the polished interface as other software, but it does have the functionality and that really matters for such a program. I can highly recommend it.
Frédéric, HB9CQK

EI4HQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2002 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Faultless support. Needs flexibility added  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Currently we're using DXTelnet to bridge an RF cluster to an internet node. I'm not the cluster sysop but am responsible for all the connections to the RF cluster from the internet dx cluster node outwards. The connections are a bit involved (5 spread spectrum links + 1 70cm RF link and 2 telnet links) and generally DXTelnet does the business. When its up, all is honky dory.
However a truly great program is being held up from becoming an absolutely superb one by a few small limitations.
For those who use DXTelnet as Cluster Sysops a full sysop licence leaves one or two "too clever by half" features that limit its use where complex RF to internet connections are needed. A facility to fully customize all RF and telnet connections and not to assume only one telnet and one RF connection are required would make this a truly brillant piece of software.
As it is DXTelnet is by far and away the most flexible and powerful internet/RF cluster bridging software available and its author is to be credited in full. Unfortunately my slight deviation from a one RF and one telnet connection requirement has meant I'll have to write a customized piece of software from scratch to bridge our link reliably. In summary DXTelnet currently can't recover from a broken telnet link when there exists 2 telnet links and not one as is my situation.
Save me the torture and let me under the covers of DXTelnet to tweak it!!!!
Other than the requested code re-writes to give the flexibility (possibly only me!) requires the level of support from the author has been second to none. There ain't no better out there for serious dx cluster bridging work at this time.

Cormac, EI4HQ

WW3S Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2002 14:41 Send this review to a friend
works great..a must have  Time owned: more than 12 months
one of the few shareware programs I registered; works great and easy to configure with just about any contest software. Great support from the author; easy to pay for and quick response with the activation code. Operates as shareware without the code for 30 minutes at a time. Alerts work great and yes, it does work (quite well and easy to configure) through a firewall.

IW2JNJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2002 14:14 Send this review to a friend
More than a "ham" software!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I knew DX-Telnet due to my loggin program, VQLog, whose latest versions support the DDE link to it.
I tried and I preferred it to other programs running under Windows as well.
Fabrizio, IK4VYX - the author - was very helpful with me from the beginning, and expecially when I asked him if it were possible to link one session of DX-Telnet to another, in the case of two PC linked eachother via ethernet, and e.g. read the spots on two PCs, and every other related purpose.
It took five questions from me and five answers back from him (five evenings...), and it runs!
And I guess that it's only the beginning!
I considered its registration price adequate to its applying terms and to the overall level of the software. But actually I consider it more than adequate!

NL7ZL Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2002 12:35 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PROGRAM AND SUPPORT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not agree with JUNK. I have been using DXTelnet for some time now and have interfaced it with several different logging programs (Logic, DXBase, Swisslog)as well as TRX-Manager and have found more than adequate information on how to do this. If not a quick email to the author gets almost instantaneous responses.

I prefer to use this program instead of the built in telnet functions in most logging program. I can keep DXTelnet running in the background aithout the need to have my logging program running. I can quickly check what DX is available and tune to it quickly and then open my logging program if needed. This system also works great with TRX-Manager without having to use a full blown logging program. The powerful filtering is a great feature of the program.

I have emailed the author on several occassions (latest was yesterday with a request for a callsign change) and have gotten replies back in a very short period of time. His support is EXCELLENT as is the program.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Tom
KQ5S

K5QM Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2002 08:57 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SOFTWARE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using DXtelnet for more than five years and it gets better with each upgrade. I have 299 countries worked and would be no where close to this number without DXtelnet. It is a very easy program to setup and use. Tech support is one of the best I have seen. Every question that I have had was answered within minutes, not days. If you are serious about working DX this is one tool that you can't be without. It has many custom features to fit your personal needs.