Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 154 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

SV8FES Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST 1 KW TUBE AMP.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THE BEST 1 KW TUBE AMP. ON THE MARKET. I have to say this is one amazing and easy to use amp! I had no problems connecting. One cable, a quick easy tune up with 65 watts drive...and 1150 watts out in less than 10 seconds..! This amp is very well constructed and a heavy duty piece of equipment...I highly recommend one if you are looking for an amp!
1.easy tune
2.a lot of protections
3.stability
4.low price
5.design
6.never break.
7. less expensive tube (GU74B)
So go and buy it.
I give a vot rating: 5/5
Best regards
sv8fes

KF7JBG Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
ACOM 1000 - Initial Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received my ACOM 1000 from Array Solutions and felt an 'Initial Impressions' review would be appropriate. This is my first experience with a tube-based amplifier after years of using a trusted ALS-500M solid state portable. I wanted a quality amplifier that would deliver a full KW, have an integrated power supply and enough technology to simplify the tuning process. The ACOM 1000 fit the bill.

It should be noted that the support from Jay and David at Array Solutions was exceptional. I was kept appraised of the order status via email and I never received an answering machine. Array Solutions offers a unique service where they bench test and validate the amplifier, fuse and wire it (in my case for 240V) and then over-pack the unit for shipment.

The fit and finish of the ACOM 1000 is excellent and at nearly 50 pounds, it is built like a tank. The control and connector layouts are clean and well identified with plenty of room between the push buttons and knobs. I also found the operating manual to be well written. A simplified schematic diagram is included if you want a deeper understanding of the design.

I was pleased to see that the ACOM 1000 has (3) levels of fault protection as I powered it up! The tuning process is easy with ACOM's 'True Resistance Indicator' TRI aid. I simply adjusted the 'Tune' dial until the graphical display showed maximum power and then rotated the 'Load' dial until a triangular icon appeared in the center of the display. The ACOM 1000 even has a function that inserts a 6db attenuator so you can tune under full drive power. (There are several YouTube videos on this process.)

I found that a 35W drive from my Kenwood TS-590s yielded 800W peaks whereas 50W drive delivered a KW of output. My SWRs from a 92' doublet dipole were flat on 40 and 75M through a Palstar AT2K. And, if a slight change occurred during transmission the ACOM would automatically adjusts for SWRs up to 3:1. My audio is reported to be very clean with nice tone quality and the added power has been welcomed by my colleagues on the QRM edge.

This is a plug and play amplifier. When you pay over $2 per watt, you expect a very good experience. So far, my expectations have been exceeded.

DL1DAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2014 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Best service ever experienced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am operating the ACOM 1000 since Oct 2001 which means 13 years of a fault free operations and a vy hard HAM Radio job (very active, contesting, QSK). This year it happened that in April 2014 the PA went in autoprotection mode with code PN07. After contact with Val LZ1VB and further assistance and detailed instructions via email I was able to locate a faulty diode in the High Voltage Bridge. I got the ordered 4 new and more powerful diodes within 3 days and I spent Happy Easter! Thanks for this great service.
Now,6th Oct, the PA went again in autoprotection mode with code TR2B. It seems that it becomes older like me. Again, Val delivered an exceptional assistance with detailed measurement and visual check instructions by email. Finally the vacuum relay was broken and again he delivered within 3 working days. I'd like to thank Val for this leading example of customer Service and I wish him all the best for the future! de Achim, DL1DAW

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Great KW Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few weeks ago I bought a Acom 1000 used, its production date was in 2011 and I almost pulled the trigger on a new one but this amp came up for sale and am very pleased. Over the past 35+ years I have owned a bunch of different amps, Heathkits,Dentron,Ameritrons(5),Alphas(5), and a QRO. I would place the Alpha amps and even the QRO at the top of the list as far as being rugged but this Acom top's the list, very well thought out design and built extreamly well. Back when I ran a small but effective contest station on LI I always felt the need for a 1.5KW amp but today a good clean KW is all you really need and this amp fits the bill, well protected from misshaps, excellent monitoring of all paramiters, easy to tune with the TRI tuning system and it places a solid KW out on 160-6 meters. I have no real antennas up for six but when I do I'll be ready. This amp just sits there and purrs along without some noise blower buzzing in the background and even when it goes to the hi speed setting its in the shack noise level is very low. I did own a solid state amp before this one but I always needed to use an antenna tuner to get the best performance out of that amp but this amps Pi L will load into a 3:1 SWR without issues and maybe slighly higher at times but if its to high it will tell you and lont load. Some of the antenna I use on some bands are 2:1 SWR and this amp load fine without issues. When you pop the top and take a look at how well shielded and built this amp is its like a work of amplifier art. My hats off to Acom for a job well done.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful amp easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned several different amps over past three years and I was looking for a 1KW+ in the $2,000 price range that had both HF and 6m. I did my research and the Acom 1000 came to the top of the list.

The Acom 1000 offers that in beautifully well done package. I have never been a fan of tube amps because of the need to tune the amp and have owned three solid state amps; Yaesu FL7000, Yaesu Quadra and the SPE 1K and those were all great amps but this acom 1000 is also great for the price and quality level which in my mind exceeds that of the Yaesu amps and is on par with the Expert Amp.

What I like most about it is the display that actually helps you during the tuning process. I strayed away from tube amps because it took so much time switching bands and going through so many steps to tune the amp having to rely on external meters etc. With this amp it is simple and super quick, maybe 10 seconds and you are ready to go.

The only down side I have with this amp is the 150 second tube warm up time but even that is not a big deal considering I a very casual operating ham about one to two hours per week at most.

I am currently using the amp at my extremely modest QTH with a 5BTV for HF and a M2 loop for 6m. On 15m and below I am getting 400W output from my KX3. On 10m and 6m it puts out between 175-250W. It is a nice QRP amplifier for sure.

This amp is a keeper for me when down the road I move into a place where I can again have a more intense station with towers, yagis and multiple wire antennas. I highly recommend this amp to someone who wants QRO for HF and 6m in a relatively small package and wants to spend around $2K.

N7RST Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp - Weak Documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, have had my amp for a while, the original one I bought was destroyed in shipment and this one was sent in its place. Not sure if this was a production model or returned unit. It is a much lower Serial Number.

Amp is easy to use, hard to make adjustments and the documentation is weak.

Mine never would display certain parameters correctly because, as I found out, the reference voltage used by the uProcessor was way off, either never set by the factory or when it was in for local repair.

Now, the HV and Exhaust air temp read much more correctly in value.

However, to get to the adjustment, you nearly have to disassemble the amp (then again, you shouldn't have to do this adjustment if properly set up). The manual provides no indication of what the nominal values of the amp are during idle, (i.e. what should the HV read, what should the exhaust air temp read, etc.) to provide the user with some indication the amp if functioning properly.

And if not, no troubleshooting section in the manual to tell you that Pin 8 on IC10 should read 2.55VDC. (Mine read 2.34 which caused all the parameters to read way off).

Getting to that adjustment (RP1) isn't easy either, as it requires the front panel removal, removal of harnesses, knobs, covers, etc. An access panel would have been a nice touch, but then again, you shouldn't have to ever adjust this setting if it was properly set at the factory or the authorized repair source(s). Easy to miss as who would think a REFERENCE setting is off.

Anyway, I perk along around 800-1000 watts, I don't push it, as 700-1000 is little difference to the guy on the other end.

Easy to tune, relatively small foot print.

Again, I recommend a stronger manual and easier "do it yourself" abilities with the amp but likely, you will never have to adjust or work on your amp under normal conditions.

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Top notch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this from Array Solutions, and have been putting it through its paces for about a week. As stated by 99.9% of the reviews, you won't find a better amp for the price. It replaced a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX, and, in my opinion, build quality and fit and finish is on par with THP...commercial grade. 60 watts input will give you in excess of 1,100 watts out on all bands; quietest fan I ever heard (or didn't hear) in any amp; no ALC hook-up...just key in, RF in, RF out, plug into 240V; easiest and fastest tune-up for a manual tune amp, honestly about 10 seconds tops; fully microprocessor protected in case you goof up.

Jay and Bob at Array Solutions stress customer service, and are always happy to answer any questions thoroughly, and provide guidance and advice. For a very small fee, they'll install a 240V plug, and completely test the amp before it's shipped out.

All in all, so far I'm very pleased with my purchase, and look forward to giving the amp a workout in the CQ WPX CW contest.

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding protection features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second time around with the Acom 1000. Bought a used one several years ago and when I saw the price reduction recently, I ordered a new one from Array Solutions. Can't say enough about the protection features and reliability. The construction is first-class and support from Array Solutions is top-notch. This will certainly be a "keeper" for me, along with my Flex 6500.

TA1CR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Best Amplifier ever seen :)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought Acom 100 amp. from Array Solutions 2 weeks ago. I have some problem with the HV unit, and then i sent mail to Jay and he helps me very well, i solve the problem to adjust the voltage selection 240V to 220V and then my problem solved. Array Solution Jay is very helpful man :) The amp is very quiet and very stable work. Thanks Jay :) and Tnx Acom :)

DH4AAD Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Great and solid PA  Time owned: more than 12 months
This PA shows the high quality of military equipment. And I do like military equipment qualities very much! ++

Aerials in action, first: one rugged 20 meters mono band wire dipole, horizontally built. ++ Second: Solarcon Imax2000, high power vertical antenna and omnidirectional beaming, five kilowatts rf power ICAS, on top of the roof – 25 meters above ground. ++

Today, more than three years action with ACOM 1000, I can confirm: „Acom 1000 is really easy to operate. And there is no problem in any way, yet." ++

This single tube of 4cx800a (GU-74B) - transmitting power tube - is doing a very good job. 4cx800a, Svetlana high performance ceramic-metal tetrode with plate dissipation of 800 watts is employed (forced air cooling, grid-driven). +++