Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 149 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

W7ARX Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp - Weak Documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, have had my amp for a while, the original one I bought was destroyed in shipment and this one was sent in its place. Not sure if this was a production model or returned unit. It is a much lower Serial Number.

Amp is easy to use, hard to make adjustments and the documentation is weak.

Mine never would display certain parameters correctly because, as I found out, the reference voltage used by the uProcessor was way off, either never set by the factory or when it was in for local repair.

Now, the HV and Exhaust air temp read much more correctly in value.

However, to get to the adjustment, you nearly have to disassemble the amp (then again, you shouldn't have to do this adjustment if properly set up). The manual provides no indication of what the nominal values of the amp are during idle, (i.e. what should the HV read, what should the exhaust air temp read, etc.) to provide the user with some indication the amp if functioning properly.

And if not, no troubleshooting section in the manual to tell you that Pin 8 on IC10 should read 2.55VDC. (Mine read 2.34 which caused all the parameters to read way off).

Getting to that adjustment (RP1) isn't easy either, as it requires the front panel removal, removal of harnesses, knobs, covers, etc. An access panel would have been a nice touch, but then again, you shouldn't have to ever adjust this setting if it was properly set at the factory or the authorized repair source(s). Easy to miss as who would think a REFERENCE setting is off.

Anyway, I perk along around 800-1000 watts, I don't push it, as 700-1000 is little difference to the guy on the other end.

Easy to tune, relatively small foot print.

Again, I recommend a stronger manual and easier "do it yourself" abilities with the amp but likely, you will never have to adjust or work on your amp under normal conditions.

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Top notch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this from Array Solutions, and have been putting it through its paces for about a week. As stated by 99.9% of the reviews, you won't find a better amp for the price. It replaced a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX, and, in my opinion, build quality and fit and finish is on par with THP...commercial grade. 60 watts input will give you in excess of 1,100 watts out on all bands; quietest fan I ever heard (or didn't hear) in any amp; no ALC hook-up...just key in, RF in, RF out, plug into 240V; easiest and fastest tune-up for a manual tune amp, honestly about 10 seconds tops; fully microprocessor protected in case you goof up.

Jay and Bob at Array Solutions stress customer service, and are always happy to answer any questions thoroughly, and provide guidance and advice. For a very small fee, they'll install a 240V plug, and completely test the amp before it's shipped out.

All in all, so far I'm very pleased with my purchase, and look forward to giving the amp a workout in the CQ WPX CW contest.

K5UX Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding protection features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second time around with the Acom 1000. Bought a used one several years ago and when I saw the price reduction recently, I ordered a new one from Array Solutions. Can't say enough about the protection features and reliability. The construction is first-class and support from Array Solutions is top-notch. This will certainly be a "keeper" for me, along with my Flex 6500.

TA1CR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Best Amplifier ever seen :)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought Acom 100 amp. from Array Solutions 2 weeks ago. I have some problem with the HV unit, and then i sent mail to Jay and he helps me very well, i solve the problem to adjust the voltage selection 240V to 220V and then my problem solved. Array Solution Jay is very helpful man :) The amp is very quiet and very stable work. Thanks Jay :) and Tnx Acom :)

DH4AAD Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Great and solid PA  Time owned: more than 12 months
This PA shows the high quality of military equipment. And I do like military equipment qualities very much! ++

Aerials in action, first: one rugged 20 meters mono band wire dipole, horizontally built. ++ Second: Solarcon Imax2000, high power vertical antenna and omnidirectional beaming, five kilowatts rf power ICAS, on top of the roof – 25 meters above ground. ++

Today, more than three years action with ACOM 1000, I can confirm: „Acom 1000 is really easy to operate. And there is no problem in any way, yet." ++

This single tube of 4cx800a (GU-74B) - transmitting power tube - is doing a very good job. 4cx800a, Svetlana high performance ceramic-metal tetrode with plate dissipation of 800 watts is employed (forced air cooling, grid-driven). +++

ON7RU Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 04:56 Send this review to a friend
5 start product - great customer service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 5 years of ownership the amplifier generated a fault in the protection circuit. After visual inspection I contacted Val to point me to a qualified dealer. Instead of pointing me to a dealer Val tried everything (I mean really everything) to solve the issue by mail. After several mails with clear instructions and high quality pictures we got the amp starting. There was still an issue with a specific board and repair was beyond my skills. Val accepted to perform the repair himself, he even arranged pickup and transport from ON to LZ. This is the best customer service experience I ever had. Price was reasonable and the baby is back on the shelf, works and looks like new.

The amplifier rocks, and Val walks the extra mile for you when you have an issue.

Thanks Val for this great product and service.

N1VJJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance and Price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have to say....prior to this amp I owned an Alpha 89 (powerhouse) that was very easy to tune. This amp mimicks the Alpha and it also is very easy to tune. The amp is just cruising along putting out 1kw with 50 watts of drive. The fault shut down feature works really good protecting you from damaging the amp. I wish we in the USA could build this good an amp for the same price point. I would definitely recommend a buy for this amp.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2013 10:38 Send this review to a friend
A reference standard in HF amplifiers  Time owned: more than 12 months
Top marks go to Ron at Vine Antenna Products.
Always excellent advice and help.
Almost immediate reply to emails.
Always superb service.
I've purchased both the 1010 and 1000 over the years.
My favourite is definitely the 1000 and I have fitted the extra cooling fan just in case I use rtty etc.
Lots already said about the 1000.
Rob G3RCE

G0MJK Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my Acom 1000 second hand to replace my ageing Drake L7. I suspected the tube might be on its way out as it seemed to want more drive than it should. Sure enough the GU74B finally arced and the excellent protection closed the amp down - top marks. I had purchased a new tube from the Ukraine, the ruggedised version which I fitted and all is now well. But be warned there is 3000v floating in there. Top marks to Ron of Vine Antennas the UK agents for helpful advice who provided me with full instructions to change the tube and set up the bias. So easy to use and tune and my Palstar HF Auto loves it. If you can find one buy it but it won't be this one it is staying here.

KF7QLQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2013 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Great purchase  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My remarks are a little biased as this is my first amp purchase. I have owned the ACOM 1000 for about 3-weeks. I drive it with an Icom IC-7600. With 45 watts in I get a solid 1K. Connection could not be simpler, A single RCA cord for Keying and an antenna from the exciter. The tuning is about as easy as it gets. 10 seconds max.
I do run through a Palstar HF-AUTO tuner as my antenna a Zero-Five 10-40 GP is only resonant at 40M, the amp will compensate up to VSWR of 3:1.
Local support via email closed the deal. I am relatively new to the hobby and ask allot of questions. All were answered in detail and typically within hours. If considering this amp, the reviews speak the truth.