Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 181 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2017 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Abolutely great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To start with, I already have 2 other amps that works well with about the same output.
I picked this one up at a bargain price trough an ad on one of the many popular selling sites.

I knew from other hams that it was supposedly a good amp.
They were wrong, it is a FANTASTIC amp!

I have just finished the SAC SSB contest as a first trial of the amp.
Due to temporarily having my right hand in a cast, the whole operation was done one-handed...
As a result I have mistuned it, keyed it with no antenna, keyed at full power with the wrong antenna, wrong setting of bandswitch and all other abuse I can think of.
As they should, the protective circuits tripped and told me, in plain text, what ever the problem was.
Built as a tank, it seems indestructible at this point.

Tuning wth the TRI-display is a breeze.
You simply cant go wrong!

Ok, so what could be better?
Well the fan IS noisy at full steam, but that can be fixed.

I would recommend this amp to anyone, anywhere.
A keeper in my shack !

M1KMC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Previous Amp was the Kenwood TL-922, it was ok but a few problems you associate with an older piece of kit, A small windfall resulted in a new Acom 1000 facelift model, and wow its so much more than an amp, great on tuning with the TRI indicator, and also more importantly it has so many fail safe protection functions in it, recently a trap on my MA5B went faulty and the Amp shut down sensing the fault before I had even noticed...As someone else mentioned do not dither about just go for it...
If I had one moan it is that it does not have more than one Ant socket, unlike the 1500,2100, etc

WB5THT Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2017 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agonized over buying a solid state amp or a tube amp for quite a while and as you have figured out, I chose a tube amp. Tube finals are very forgiving of high SWR or other issues where silicon isn't. One worry I had with a tube amp was tube availability but I bought a spare GU74B that was new old Russian stock.

Connecting the radio to the amp is dirt simple - hook up coax and and a key line. That's it.

Tuning the amp is really easy using the guide on the display. Other - the blower is very quiet. I drive it from my K3s with about 55 watts for 900+ watts out on 75 meters.

I've owned this amp for about two years and would buy another Acom amp in a heartbeat.

WU7X Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2017 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this amp on the air for a couple of days. So I am aware of sounding too gushy about this amplifier. Having said that, and after having owned a half dozen other amps over the past 30+ years, there are a few things that I am confident about. First, this is probably the easiest amp I've had to connect to a radio. It is by far the easiest amp to tune up. I've worked both SSB and CW with it and it has been a breeze on both modes. Very positive comments on audio and great reports on both modes. I've tuned it up to a kilowatt with ~ 40 watts on 20 meters. I am typically running ~ 20 watts input for a very respectable 500 watts out. It is working well with both my NN4RR hexbeam and EFHW-8010-1KW wire. I'm not letting this one go for a long time.

I purchased it through DXEngineering. Very positive experience.

G8RBW Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2017 10:18 Send this review to a friend
It's Heavy Dude!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm wary of describing anything as 'built like a tank' because a friend of mine worked on a famous British tank and liked to point out that tanks need a LOT of servicing and a team of mechanics and technicians to keep them running. My secondhand 2009 ACOM 1000 is, therefore, better than the average tank as it just sits there and works, no fuss, no bother.
As other people have pointed out the tune and load knobs have not been fitted with slow motion drives, so a bit of care is required to tune it up but practise makes perfect, as they say. I run it at the British legal limit of 400 watts and it is just ticking over. Truly a Rolls-Royce of Linears.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 09:18 Send this review to a friend
5th year evaluation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this amp for 5 years now and it has performed beyond expectations.Still get 1kw out with 45w drive.Tried a couple of 600w solid-state amps and both failed.I'll stick with tubes.This is the finest linear I've used.As others have said "bulletproof".

M0KZX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank, easy to use an amp for life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned my Acom 1000 just over a month now and have found it to be an excellent amplifier.

It's a piece of cake to tune up using ACOM's simple but clever system. Reports are all of very clear audio with nothing nasty going on around the edges.

Runs nice and cool at 400 watts and the fan noise is very acceptable.

My one and only grumble is that the tune and load capacitors have not been fitted with slow motion drives. It would have been a nice touch and something I would have been happy to pay a little more for.

If you are looking for a new amp this is the one to buy. You will not be disappointed.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2017 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Love this amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tuning is so easy and very repeatable. Easily runs it's rated output and then some! Takes inadvertent abuse with grace.

W6FCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2016 11:40 Send this review to a friend
I am impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased the ACOM-1000BR (Brown 2015 version)
from DXEngineering for 2395.00. I've used a lot of Henry Amps, but this Amp is in a class of its own.
I've had it for about a week. Used it in the ARRL 10 meter contest. Loads and tunes great. 65 watts in gives 1035 out. Plus - the ceramic tubes are plentiful and less that 200. The documentation matches the quality of the amp. You will not find a better amp, solid state or tube, at the 1kw level.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 13:54 Send this review to a friend
#4# $4$ worth every dollar  Time owned: more than 12 months
One year mark, works pretty darn good.
No issues, extreemly quiet, easy KW.
I hit it with 200 watts once, she went to default
Saftey, normally select the 50 watt out of my FTDX5K gives me 850 to 925 output.
If drive her with 65 watts 1050 to 1100.
I am happy with her tuning, very easy.
If i had to pick one of the many many features,
QUIET ......