Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 169 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2015 07:49 Send this review to a friend
3rd. year evaluation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used this amp daily for 3 years.Accidentally ran it into an open and shorted antenna.Forgot to turn the 200w FT1000D down to 45w,just shuts down every time.Have a spare GU74B which I'll probably never need.Will keep for many years.A superb product!

CT1EWX Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2015 07:14 Send this review to a friend
I am a happy Ham  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a happy Ham.
for more than 10 years ago, my amplifier was Ameritron AL80B, a good Kw. with this amp I got my # 324 DXCC score. nothing bad, I really like to do radio, but I am not his slave, hihihi. after work I have, my family, my bike, and the radio.
the Acom was an amplifier that fascinated me by his silence, I saw the Acom 1500, at the home of a friend, and liked it.
I can not say much about Acom 1000, it is a good choice, price / quality. 45w, I have 1KW antenna
I hope to operate with it good times, because after my health accident in 2009, my dream continues.
Sergio Lopes, CT1EWX

AC4R Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Great amp !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Since i bought my Acom 1000 the Alpha 8410 has been laying dorment. This is a great 1 KW am , and the build is definently military qualitly. Easy to tune and get on frequency fast . Protections for all faults. I am well pleased and will buy a Acom 1.5 k at a later date, and the 1000 stays here as well . The 8410 is now on the block to be sold. Got it from HRO for $2750. You wont go wrong with this one.

AC4R

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 13:25 Send this review to a friend
2 year update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Acom 1000 2 year update.

Used daily without a single problem and very very reliable,superb clean signal.

The rolls royce of amplifiers and the guys at Acom deserve all the credit for building such a well engineered product.

A definite keeper.

W3PAL Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Best amplifier for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amplifier from Array Solutions about a month ago. It works exceptionally well. 60-65 Watts in easily produces 1,200 Watts out.
I've owned Alpha, Ameritron and Commander amplifiers. Acom design and quality are way more superior. All RF coils are wound on hollow ceramic cores. They also use low loss, hollow ceramic cores for the lower band coils unlike many other top rated amplifiers. Everything in this amplifier shows excellent engineering, attention to detail and superb quality.
The amplifier is whisper quiet. It's cooling fan is internally suspended on vibration isolators. It does not put out more noise than a desktop PC. Running full CW QSK is no problem with the vacuum switching relay. The amplifier has protection for everything. It would automatically connect an internal 6 db attenuator if I forget to lower radio's TX power when tuning the amplifier. Tuning is very easy with it's TRI load capacitor indicator. The amp can easily handle antennas with less than perfect SWR. I don't even use my antenna tuner anymore.
Changing bands and tuning takes several seconds or less.
What really sold me on this amplifier is the fact that they use Svetlana, high performance GU-74B ceramic tubes. A new replacement tube can be bought on Ebay for about $150 a piece. The factory installed tube should last for many years but it's good to know that spares are readily available and relatively cheap.
I would highly recommend this amp if you are looking for a top quality amplifier that is easy to use and affordable. This amplifier cannot be damaged by operator error or improper tuning. No antenna tuner is required for antennas with SWR of 3:1 or less.
Array solutions was a pleasure to deal with. They always answer their phone and have a fully equipped repair facility.

M0KKW Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Top Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Swapped the valve for a friend just to confirm the new one worked OK. Have never seen a more professionally implemented design. Virtually military quality. These are the business.

SV8FES Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST 1 KW TUBE AMP.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THE BEST 1 KW TUBE AMP. ON THE MARKET. I have to say this is one amazing and easy to use amp! I had no problems connecting. One cable, a quick easy tune up with 65 watts drive...and 1150 watts out in less than 10 seconds..! This amp is very well constructed and a heavy duty piece of equipment...I highly recommend one if you are looking for an amp!
1.easy tune
2.a lot of protections
3.stability
4.low price
5.design
6.never break.
7. less expensive tube (GU74B)
So go and buy it.
I give a vot rating: 5/5
Best regards
sv8fes

KF7JBG Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2014 12:20 Send this review to a friend
ACOM 1000 - Initial Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received my ACOM 1000 from Array Solutions and felt an 'Initial Impressions' review would be appropriate. This is my first experience with a tube-based amplifier after years of using a trusted ALS-500M solid state portable. I wanted a quality amplifier that would deliver a full KW, have an integrated power supply and enough technology to simplify the tuning process. The ACOM 1000 fit the bill.

It should be noted that the support from Jay and David at Array Solutions was exceptional. I was kept appraised of the order status via email and I never received an answering machine. Array Solutions offers a unique service where they bench test and validate the amplifier, fuse and wire it (in my case for 240V) and then over-pack the unit for shipment.

The fit and finish of the ACOM 1000 is excellent and at nearly 50 pounds, it is built like a tank. The control and connector layouts are clean and well identified with plenty of room between the push buttons and knobs. I also found the operating manual to be well written. A simplified schematic diagram is included if you want a deeper understanding of the design.

I was pleased to see that the ACOM 1000 has (3) levels of fault protection as I powered it up! The tuning process is easy with ACOM's 'True Resistance Indicator' TRI aid. I simply adjusted the 'Tune' dial until the graphical display showed maximum power and then rotated the 'Load' dial until a triangular icon appeared in the center of the display. The ACOM 1000 even has a function that inserts a 6db attenuator so you can tune under full drive power. (There are several YouTube videos on this process.)

I found that a 35W drive from my Kenwood TS-590s yielded 800W peaks whereas 50W drive delivered a KW of output. My SWRs from a 92' doublet dipole were flat on 40 and 75M through a Palstar AT2K. And, if a slight change occurred during transmission the ACOM would automatically adjusts for SWRs up to 3:1. My audio is reported to be very clean with nice tone quality and the added power has been welcomed by my colleagues on the QRM edge.

This is a plug and play amplifier. When you pay over $2 per watt, you expect a very good experience. So far, my expectations have been exceeded.

DL1DAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2014 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Best service ever experienced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am operating the ACOM 1000 since Oct 2001 which means 13 years of a fault free operations and a vy hard HAM Radio job (very active, contesting, QSK). This year it happened that in April 2014 the PA went in autoprotection mode with code PN07. After contact with Val LZ1VB and further assistance and detailed instructions via email I was able to locate a faulty diode in the High Voltage Bridge. I got the ordered 4 new and more powerful diodes within 3 days and I spent Happy Easter! Thanks for this great service.
Now,6th Oct, the PA went again in autoprotection mode with code TR2B. It seems that it becomes older like me. Again, Val delivered an exceptional assistance with detailed measurement and visual check instructions by email. Finally the vacuum relay was broken and again he delivered within 3 working days. I'd like to thank Val for this leading example of customer Service and I wish him all the best for the future! de Achim, DL1DAW

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Great KW Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few weeks ago I bought a Acom 1000 used, its production date was in 2011 and I almost pulled the trigger on a new one but this amp came up for sale and am very pleased. Over the past 35+ years I have owned a bunch of different amps, Heathkits,Dentron,Ameritrons(5),Alphas(5), and a QRO. I would place the Alpha amps and even the QRO at the top of the list as far as being rugged but this Acom top's the list, very well thought out design and built extreamly well. Back when I ran a small but effective contest station on LI I always felt the need for a 1.5KW amp but today a good clean KW is all you really need and this amp fits the bill, well protected from misshaps, excellent monitoring of all paramiters, easy to tune with the TRI tuning system and it places a solid KW out on 160-6 meters. I have no real antennas up for six but when I do I'll be ready. This amp just sits there and purrs along without some noise blower buzzing in the background and even when it goes to the hi speed setting its in the shack noise level is very low. I did own a solid state amp before this one but I always needed to use an antenna tuner to get the best performance out of that amp but this amps Pi L will load into a 3:1 SWR without issues and maybe slighly higher at times but if its to high it will tell you and lont load. Some of the antenna I use on some bands are 2:1 SWR and this amp load fine without issues. When you pop the top and take a look at how well shielded and built this amp is its like a work of amplifier art. My hats off to Acom for a job well done.