Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 148 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

PU2POP Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2012 09:11 Send this review to a friend
The great!  Time owned: months
Absolutely spetacular!!!

DJ7ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 00:18 Send this review to a friend
TOP Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a three Years old ACOM-1000 second hand from a Ham in the neighborhood.
It is like new and after a few weeks I can say it works perfect.
- Easy and quick tuning
- Pout over 1KW
- very quite
- good Protection for Dummies :-)
A perfect buy!

DJ7ZZ

KE5JA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the ACOM 1000 for two years now here in Russia and have never had a problem with it! Easy to tune, quiet, over 1kW out, etc., etc. Everything fantastic, and if I ever buy another amp, it will only be an ACOM!

Max, RA/KE5JA

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 06:43 Send this review to a friend
nicest amp ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had them all since been a ham for 52 years.This is the best amp I've ever owned.Recently got it after hearing W4WTX on his and it sounded great.It's easy to set up and use.Getting a KW with only 45w of drive.Can't hear the fan or switching.Basically foolproof design.QSK is superb.Wish I had bought one years ago.Highly recommended.

W4TWX Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 19:22 Send this review to a friend
"HOT SWITCHING"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought an Acom 1000. When I hooked the amp up and started to tune I got a "Hot Switching" message...I run a Yaesu FT-1000MP, this is my main rig and I use it to run my henry amp...I have a extra relay in the keying line...When I hooked the Acom 1000 up I would get "Hot Switching". After several attempts, I called Jay at Array Solutions and he advised me to take the extra relay out of the keying line.The amp then worked perfect....What was happening was the extra relay was slowing down the switching process and let rf go into the Acom before it had time to switch...This caused the "Hot Switching"
I like to talk using vox and the Acom 1000 can switch so fast that I never hear any relay switch or any thing. I can not even tell the amp is working unless I look at the watt meter...I have several amps from the Alpha, Collins,Heathkit, Commanders and Henry. I like them all, but this ACOM 1000 is so smooth and easy to tune, it is the best amp I have ever had.......

F6BLP Rating: 1/5 Apr 28, 2012 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Life of HV transformer .. no more than 5 years !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am not agree with ACOM.

The HV transformer is out and I spend 500 euros for repair.

My 25 years old TL922 is always in life. Before YAESU 2277Z, and before FL2500. No problem with, only I changed 2 time 3-500Z with TL922, 1 time 572b with Yaesu. In the same shack of ACOM 1000 now.

I know that many others people have problem with the transformer. I received other mail for that. Vince in England know also the problem.

I am not a contester and never replace the original tube. I think that there is a big problem with the production of this transformer and his fiability.

It means that a transformer need to be remplaced every 5 years !

See the mail from ACOM service :

" According to us, the product defects appear before the first year to expire.
We provide two calendar years warranty. Francis, you have used this transformer
3 and half times longer. Consequently, we think that this fault is a result from
operating conditions - increased humidity, increased ambient temperature,
increased mains voltage, any power supply over voltage, etc."

I am in France and my shack is in my house. All the conditions are good to use an amplifier. So this reply is not good.

Sorry for that because ACOM 1000 is a very good amplifier, very quiet and very nice to operate. But ACOM service is very bad. Not ready to buy the new ACOM 1500 !

Please tell me if you have also the same problem.

Best regards

Francis **F6BLP**

K1YXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2012 07:23 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST 1 KW TUBE AMP. ON THE MARKET  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After doing much research,over 2 months worth of talking to every person possible,and reading every review available, I decided on the Acom 1000 1KW single tube amp. I was convinced this was the best choice. This is my first amplifier and I did not want to make a mistake. My research showed that there are other choices that cost less. I was not interested in cold solder joints and loose parts etc. The saying you get what you pay for does sometimes apply. The Acom 1000 has a backlight display that has a wealth of information available to the operator. 14 points of info I believe. You WILL fault the amp. I was very careful and still faulted the unit. It did not call me a dummy and displayed my error. It is so easy to tune. I tune in 10 seconds. The unit is very quiet. I do not consider the 2.5 min. warm-up a negative. I consider it a positive. It takes me time just to get organized. The unit is sold by Array Solutions. The support is excellent. I have called with questions before my purchase and after my purchase and Bob has always been there with the answers. I do believe that anyone who purchases the Acom 1000 will be totally satisfied. Feel free to email me at: nhmatthew4@hotmail.com if more detail is wanted. so in summary...Quiet, has 6 meters, easy hook up, RF in, RF out, 1 RCA cable, forgiving, easy to tune, high quality, support, and user friendly. 73 K1YXP

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2012 05:26 Send this review to a friend
On of the finest amps on the planet  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my first Acom 1000 back in 2001. Although I had minor issues with the first amplifier, Ron from Vine UK sent me a second unit and I've been using that Acom 1000 for several years to my satisfaction.

Last year, in 2011, I was looking at another Acom 1000 but I bought a second hand Expert 1K-FA instead. Although I think it is a nice piece of engineering when using the 1K-FA for extended periods of time I could not stand the noise of the seven fans running at high speed. To much noise in the shack for me. And then there were the messages that over 80 users out of 1500 pieces sold had troubles with failing relais.

It took me not that much of time to realise that I was missing my beloved Acom amplifier so much. I sold the Expert, didn't look back and I asked Ron at Vine UK to send me a second Acom 1000. I'm so glad I did.

As for all the previous reviewers, I only can add that this is one of the most quiet amplifiers on the market. You just can't hear it working. It just sits there putting out an easy 1000 watts with no effort driving it around 55 watts from the exiter (FT-950).

I specially like the TRI (tuning aid). Tuning the amp takes me only between 5 to 10 seconds. Okay the 1K-FA had 4 outputs and no heating time, true, but the headroom of the Acom is a lot larger and the noise in the shack is gone. I can live with the 150 sec warming up time. I get myself a cold beer in the kitchen, go upstairs and enter the shack with an Acom 1000 waiting to punch out 1KW all day long while keep running cool.

I also like the LCD display. It's not that big but far large enough to provide me with all kind of info. Last but not least Acom's choice using the 4CX800 tetrode tube is great. Lot's of power, clean signal and less heat produced. Also the price of this tube is 3 times less than the competition.

Why is the Acom 1000 first choice:

- Reliable amplifier
- Very good value for money
- lot's of power
- runs cool and silent
- nice finish
- quality materials used
- lot's of headroom
- less expensive tube (GU74B)
- LCD display with handy info

Perhaps nice when new Acom 1000 arrives:

- 2 or more antenna inputs

Final word:

Buying an Acom is great but buying it at Vine UK makes it special. Ron's advice is very professional. His service is second to none. The best I've ever experienced.

In 2002 I published a review on eham (second page of this item) but this review seems to be deleted on the eham server? I can't find it no more. I hope my 2012 review reaches the public.

I recommend Acom Products and Vine UK !

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 13:16 Send this review to a friend
good at any price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am getting old and have been a ham 53 years(since) 1958. As I get older I get forgetful about switching an amp to the right antenna and putting the bandswitch to the right position. I have arced the plate tuning capacitors on several Ameritron amps. One arc and they arc forever if you don't replace the capacitor. I've put tags on the shelves saying check antenna switch, check bandswitch and check tuner. First of all, I ran all kinds of amps earlier: SB220's, homebrew amps, Heathkit Warriors, BTI LK2000HD, and I never arced a plate tuning capacitor before I bought an Ameritron.
Before I bought this amp, I did a lot of research to find an amp that was well protected and had a plate tuning capacitor with spacing between plates wide enough to prevent arcing. I wanted an amp that was well protected and would tolerate an occasional mistake. My choices were a Ten-Tec Centurion and the Acom 1000. The Ten-Tec Centurion's base price was $55 cheaper than the Acom 1000. No shipping costs on the Acom and I didn't find out if Ten-Tec charged for shipping.
The Acom works on 6M and the Centurion doesn't. The Acom power output is a little less than the Centurion, about a dB or so. But the Acom will put out power reliably with an SWR of 3:1. It doesn't fault until the SWR reaches 4.5:1. So it shuts itself down at that level without doing harm to the amp. None of the Ameritrons will.
I run the TS-2000 and when I tried to drive the Acom on 6M, nothing happened. Then I remembered somthing about the 2000. You have to go to Menu 28B and turn the 50 mHz linear keying on. After I did that, the amp could be driven on 6M. I tuned it up with 50 watts drive and when I did it gave me a plate current warning. I had to reduce drive to 40 watts to get it to quit faulting. At that level of drive I got over 900W output on 6M. What I like about this amp is it is so well protected that an old dummy like me can't hurt it.
Tune-up is simple. Go to the Array Solutions web site, get to their linear page and there will be a YouTube video link showing a ham in Sweden tuning up the Acom 1000. It takes less than 10 seconds to tune up. It will also put out full power of 1000W for 15 minutes continously followed by a 3 minute cooldown.
No more plate tuning capacitor arcing. The 1000 has the same plate tuning capacitor as the Acom 2000 which puts out more than 2000 W if you drive it that hard.
The book also states that if you drive it into an open load it will show 500W forward and 500W reflected, with no power out.
I built over 10 linear amps using the following tubes: 813's, 4-400's, 811A's, 4CX250B's and I always used over-sized tank circuit components with never a failure. I think the Acom 1000 does the same.
73 and see you in the pile-ups and rag-chewing on 3773 in the AM and 3661 in the PM.
Jim N4JA

S57CW Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great engineering & quality (I was using Drake before and some professional equipment at job I really mean it!), silent as night, forgiving on SWR, covering 6m, I was only missing integrated antenna switch. Excellent value, never had problem with it, quickly sellable if you decide to upgrade.
If in EMEA check Vine Antennas in UK as supplier, they have offered good advice/support with competative prices to me.