Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 800 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 800
Grundig Satellit 800 Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium gives you the ultimate in features, performance, convenience, and sound. It's incredibly powerful. Technologically sophisticated. Yet easy and intuitive to use. Whether you're an experienced shortwave listener or a newcomer to the world of international broadcasting, this is the radio to get. Your ordinary shortwave receiver doesn't have features like:

Synchronous detection to improve the purity of shortwave and AM reception. This helps clarify fading signals and reduce interference from adjacent frequencies.
AGC- Automatic Gain Control. The onboard microprocessor monitors signal strength, adjusting gain up or down to compensate for atmospheric and other conditions. It's like an onboard radio engineer. Choose either fast or slow AGC mode.
Excellent sensitivity and selectivity. The Satellit 800 Millennium receives stations most radios can't, including weak daytime shortwave signals.
Three built-in bandwidths for shortwave, using electronically switched IF filters: 6.0, 4.0 and 2.3 KHz.
You aren't limited to shortwave signals. The Satellit 800 Millennium is the ultimate portable AM/FM radio, too. Enjoy FM stereo with headphones. Listen to the VHF aircraft band from 118 to 137 MHz. Many of the same advanced features which enhance shortwave broadcasts do the same for AM reception, too. Listen to distant AM stations at night without fading. Pick out those weak stations on adjacent frequencies.

Enjoy legendary Grundig audio quality from the 4" built-in dynamic speaker. Adjust the sound with bass and treble controls - tailor it to your room or your taste.

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 800.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Always worked for us  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my dad went into the old folks home (10 years ago) he wanted a radio for SW. I had him try all the receivers I had and he could not operate them. We needed something with big buttons and simple. We got this for him and he could use it. I covertly ran him a 100ft long wire to the tree outside his room. He spent hours tuning through the shortwave bands, and listening to his favorite music on FM. He even got into listening to the air traffic. I think this radio prolonged his life. We never had an issue. It was a radio that worked the way we needed it to. I still have it and it works great. Though I do not use it much, every time I turn it on it works and sounds great.

KB4YHO Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up the Chinese made Grundig 800's on E**y for under $300. Heck used 2010's are near $300 so since I already had one of those I'll try it. Alot of bad press has been written on this box so I knew the chance I was taking. Anyway it came with a set of headphones, nice manual and was in excellent condition. Well taken care of.
I hooked it up to my 80 meter loop and switched it on selected the external antenna on the 800 and wow! I ended up listening to it for 3 hours straight. I tuned everything from WWV to the priates on 6925Khz AM to the 20/40/80 meter sideband nets.
Audio(LOUD 20watts max), selectivity and overall ease of use from this big box was very good. That 800 gave my 2010 fits and in most cases was better. Ok so the low band stuff was good lets now plug in the 800 to my tower mounted discone at 60 ft. Again the FM performance reminded me of my SX-1250 Pioneer, it can tune in 20Khz steps so you can get in between stations and the sensitivity is excellent. FM stations 80 miles away where full quieting and audio quality was good. FM stereo outputs on the 800 is a nice touch too. I then switched the big box to the AM aircraft band, tuned the local tower freq which I could hear in the noise on my 2010 with the discone. Well I adjused the squelch control and there was the tower about a S2. Amazing. In conclusion I was very suprised in the performance of this tabletop receiver. It's clearly not a high tier unit but man it is easy to use and performs much better than I ever expected. My only complaint is no noise blanker. The price of these used $250-$325 is a good deal and Drake still services them.

AC8KU Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2012 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Good consumer grade rcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for between 5 and 10 years and I use it nearly every day. It has been perfectly reliable and all the features still work. The controls are user friendly. It's very stable for SSB but the three filter widths and the one-step attenuator aren't very effective for anything very challenging. The synchronous detector isn't quite as good as on the Sony ICF2010. On the FM broadcast band, the selectivity and sensitivity seem to be on a par with my Sony ICF2010 but dramatically inferior to my cheap, analog Sangean WR-11. The memories are easy enough to use, but the clock and timer functions are hardly worth the trouble. If you use batteries to power this radio you will spend a lot of money. I don't know why they made it so big: there must be a lot of empty space inside.

N2AUF Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 13:44 Send this review to a friend
TERRIFIC RADIO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I CAN COMPARE THIS TO THE BEST IN PORTABLE RADIOS AND MANY TABLE MODELS COSTING ALOT MORE. I CAN'T IMAGINE ANYONE NOT BEING SATISFIED WITH THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE AND FEATURES OF THIS RADIO. PROBABLY THE BAD REVIEWS HERE CAME FROM USERS WHO EITHER HAD UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS, OR GOT A RADIO WITH A PROBLEM. FOR THE PRICE, I BELIEVE IT IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE BY FAR, AND IN ALL RESPECTS. I FINALLY GOT ONE RECENTLY FROM AN ELDERLY GENTLEMAN WHO BOUGHT IT NEW AND NEVER REALLY USED IT. BEING A NON HAM AND NOT TECHNICALLY ORIENTED, IT WAS TOO MUCH RADIO FOR HIM. FOR ME, IT REPRESENTS ALOT OF FUN, QUALITY LISTENING. THE SSB FUNCTIONS QUITE WELL FOR WHAT IT IS. THIS IS THE KEY. IF YOU THINK A RADIO IN THIS CLASS SHOULD SOUND LIKE IT COST OVER $1000.00, THEN YOU WILL BE UPSET. I AM DELIGHTED BY THE LOW NOISE FLOOR, SESITIVITY, SELECTIVITY, ETC. AND I SEE NO QUALITY CONCERNS ANYWHERE. THE SOUND IS GOOD BY PORTABLE RADIO STANDARDS. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT R L DRAKE HAD A HAND IN IT'S DEVELOPEMENT. EBAY PRICES FOR THIS RADIO ARE USUALLY STILL UP OVER $300. IF THIS WAS A JUNKER, THIS WOULD NOT BE THE CASE.

N0JYC Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2010 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Terrible!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one of these for a couple hundred bucks based on some of the positive reviews here. I couldn't have been more disappointed. Local AM stations jumping in all over SW stations which were faint and unintelligible. The tuning was not smooth and 'skipped.' Its bulky and big and 'doesn't cut it.'

KC2DIS Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2010 04:41 Send this review to a friend
poor performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I am stuck with this one now! After paying 400$ for one the seller called "perfect" and "better than new", because warranty work had been done to it, I find that the VFO makes a strange clicking at certain spots. At some frequencies you can "hear" the tuning plus compared to my dx390 which I had to repair it couldn't pick out the weak stations any better or with any more strength under exactly the same conditions. I am really disappointed. other people have had good results but not this guy!

KA2EEV Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2010 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing / Over rated.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perhaps I'm not so easily bowled over by a receiver that is supposed to impress by its physical appearance and big size. I think Grundig lost their touch with the Satellit 800 because this radio just seems to miss the mark in so many different ways. Yeah, I know, it's a real fine receiver that has many people singing praises to its name, but honestly it left me with only a disappointing sigh. Quite frankly, I believe the 800 is far over rated beyond what it deserves and over priced as well. I won't bother hashing through all of the technical aspects, but suffice it to say that its overall quality just doesn't measure up. Sensitivity across the tuning spectrum is about average but certainly nothing to brag about. Audio quality is only fair with kind of a boxy sound to it, actually lacking on the deep lows and on the highs too. This is a nice looking big receiver that will look pretty on the desk and it will serve well if you're willing to settle for mediocre performance along with a few peculiar quirks. I also have owned a Grundig Satellit 700 for many years and guess what? The 700 easily blows away the 800 on every count!

WB8UHZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2009 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio, but only after going to Drake three times. Purchased a mint 800 locally. Brought it home and the audio kept dropping out. Drake was very good in backing up their work and continuing to look for the problem. S/N notes made in October 2002, hence suppose to be beyond the poor workmanship numbers but not so. Now after Drake fixed it, I must say this one will stay with me, I really like the audio. It does a great job on the ham bands, both on SSB and AM phone.

Tim WB8UHZ

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2009 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Classic Portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had mine for some time now, and I like the rugged styling and the RX performance. I've had no problems with mine, build 08/04, but I've heard of problems with the encoder behaving badly, due to possible excessive lube or a bad factory batch.Whatever the truth, quality control seems to be a contributory factor, especially if built in China. Those that are refurbished or new models given a QC check in the USA tend to be reliable and work well.
I hooked mine up to the Datong FL3 multi mode filter, SSB, CW, RTTY, auto and manual notch adds greatly to the interference rejection capabilities. I modified mine to lower the cutoff frequencies below 200Hz and this greatly improved the audio quality and filtering capability. I'll be looking at adding an effective noise blanker later on, but its absence is a serious omission in my view. The internal speaker is adequate, but hooking up to an external amplified speaker system entirely transforms the sound quality especially FM broadcast. Overall I like the SAT 800 very much, it is a great workhorse and its styling has a certain unique charm to it.
Recommended, but get a QC bill of health from the retailer before parting with your hard earned cash.

BARRYED Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2008 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent radio for its price. The reception outpeforms my Sony sw-77 and unlike my Sony the Grundig has no audio muting during tuning, making it much easier to find distant dx stations. All modes(am, fm, sw and sideband) work very well. The display is very easy to read due to is large size and the sound is excellent due to its large speaker and seperate bass and treble controls. The sync selectable sideband works wonders for weak reception and the large analog signal strength meter is a nice feature. I have had my 800 for about four years now and I have not had any problems with it.