Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 800 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 800
Grundig Satellit 800 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium gives you the ultimate in features, performance, convenience, and sound. It's incredibly powerful. Technologically sophisticated. Yet easy and intuitive to use. Whether you're an experienced shortwave listener or a newcomer to the world of international broadcasting, this is the radio to get. Your ordinary shortwave receiver doesn't have features like:

Synchronous detection to improve the purity of shortwave and AM reception. This helps clarify fading signals and reduce interference from adjacent frequencies.
AGC- Automatic Gain Control. The onboard microprocessor monitors signal strength, adjusting gain up or down to compensate for atmospheric and other conditions. It's like an onboard radio engineer. Choose either fast or slow AGC mode.
Excellent sensitivity and selectivity. The Satellit 800 Millennium receives stations most radios can't, including weak daytime shortwave signals.
Three built-in bandwidths for shortwave, using electronically switched IF filters: 6.0, 4.0 and 2.3 KHz.
You aren't limited to shortwave signals. The Satellit 800 Millennium is the ultimate portable AM/FM radio, too. Enjoy FM stereo with headphones. Listen to the VHF aircraft band from 118 to 137 MHz. Many of the same advanced features which enhance shortwave broadcasts do the same for AM reception, too. Listen to distant AM stations at night without fading. Pick out those weak stations on adjacent frequencies.

Enjoy legendary Grundig audio quality from the 4" built-in dynamic speaker. Adjust the sound with bass and treble controls - tailor it to your room or your taste.

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 800.

CCZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2005 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Shame Drake !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Brazil, where the offer of receivers is very limited and no manufacturers' service available. I have used SW radios for many years, mostly for program listening in different languages which I speak. From the Zenit TO I migrated to a family of Sony's and now I was considering a larger radio for better sound.
Living in Brazil, however, means no access to equipment for test or equipment sent back to seller if performance is not satisfactory. After a lot of consideration of the current performance of the Sat 800, I finally decided to take the risk, relying on recent reports of a good quality for the money and on Drake's reputation. I even called Drake's sales mgr in Canada (Steve), asking for advice re the S800's performance and he assured it to be OK, adding that there was no reason to spend more on an R8, considering my primary interest in program listening.
To be safe, I decided to buy direct from Drake.
A friend who was coming to visit me bought the S800 from Drake Canada in Nov 2004, and brought it with him.
When unpacking ... surprise ! Drake sold me a new S800 but delivered a Y2K model !
SW reception is non-existent ! Not even strong senders such as BBC or DW ! Searching the entire SW range with fully extended whip resulted in only one very weak signal from a local sender and another from Argentina.
I tried during the day and during the night, with similar results.
Shame to Drake, selling a 4 year old model as new, after all the trouble with the early versions ! I wrote Drake about it and never got a reply.
This is for the highly reliable Drake service !
Beware of Drake and the "revised" "renewed" Grundigs Made in China ! Worthless stuff for good money !

RADIOHIGHFREQUENCY Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2004 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Shortwave & Broadcast Listeners Radio = Features & Sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
WHY DO I 'LIKE' THE GRUNDIG SATELLIT 800 MILLENNIUM ?

What Recommends the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium to a Radio Listener and Hobbyist.
+ Great FM Sound {Super FM Stereo Sound through External Speakers}
+ Shortwave Programming is Easy to Listen to for Hours
+ Digital Tuning and Display
(Manual Knob, Up & Down Buttons and Direct Key Board)
+ Big "LCD" {Liquid Crystal Display}
+ Big "S-Meter" {Analog Meter}
+ Three IF Filters 6 kHz, 4 kHz and 2.3 kHz
+ Dual Conversion (Two Ifs for AM/MW and Shortwave)
+ AM SYNC {Side Band is Selectable}
+ USL and LSB {Side Band is Selectable}
+ Seventy (70) User Programmable Memories.
+ Mega-Size Whip Antenna (Good Shortwave Reception off the Whip)
+ Separate External Antenna Inputs for AM/SW and FM/AIR Bands.
+ Good Layout and Ergonomics {Easy-to-Use}
? Size: BIG - But if you are a Senior Citizen with Big Fingers and Tired Eyes this is the Right Size Radio for You - IMHO :o)

All these are Great Tools for a Radio Listener and really help in doing some serious DXing.
NOTE: For an Instant "Boost" in AM/MW Reception and DXing simply add a Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M or a 'home-made' Two FootAM/MW Box Loop Antenna.

You may wish to take a look at the "Grundig Satellit 800" eGroup on YAHOO ! for more information and insight about this Radio.
eGROUP=> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/

I would recommend that anyone interested in this Radio check-out this links for the Grundig Satellit 800.

Or Call the Toll Free Numbers:
1-800-872-2228 (USA)
1-800-637-1648 (Canada)
Ask Grundig (ETON) where there is a Local Store near you that you can listen and get the feel of a Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Receiver.

eHAM Reviews of the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Receiver:

RadioIntel Review of the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium:

DXING.COM 'Modern Shortwave Receiver Survey' Report for the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium:

TBL: Do I 'like' the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium ?
YES - I own two of them; one for in-town where there is a lot of man made noise; and the other for up-in-the-hills-and-down-in-a-valley where it is very quiet :o)

Interested in Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas then Check-Out the "Shortwave Listeners (SWL) AM/FM Antennas" eGroup on YAHOO !
SWL-ANTENNAS=> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

~ RHF
aka: Radio High Frequency -&- Retired, Healthy and Free.

MMAGHAKIAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2004 20:23 Send this review to a friend
best radio for the money PERIOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned over 100 radios over the past 25 years. nothing compares to this one, and I have owned some of the best.
the key to getting one is to get a used one or refurb THAT HAS BEEN TESTED BY THE DEALER. too many bad ones out there. but the working ones are supurb.

DDRAIGMOR Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2004 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Horses for courses!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been after one of these since they appeared. Having owned a wide variety of sets in the past (Sony ICF PRO 80, Yaesu FRG 7700, Sangean ATS 803, more scanners than you can name....!)and having written the 'Scanning' column in 'Shortwave Magazine' many moons ago, I think I've got a fair idea of what it is I am looking for.

There seems to be a variety of comments as to what it is, what it isn't and what it should be. Having had my share of kit over the years, this radio satisfies. I enjoy the ergonomics, the layout on the front panel, the large LCD display and the auto bandwidth settings. I don't like the LISB for the USB tab but that's a minor moan.

Audio is superb. This is truly a perfect sounding set even on SSB.

Design wise, it is sitting in my living room as I write (on Edinburgh Rescue 5680.0) and bringing in all of the old whistles, static crashes and bangs of good old HF working. It looks modern, doesn't look out of place and certainly does not look as though you need a degree in astrophysics to operate it!

Overall, I find this set was worth what I paid for it, does the job and - after many years out of the hobby - has sparked my interest in getting the best from it in the near future. That means a filter, active antenna and long wire balun fed, external speaker and etc etc!

If anyone is thinking of going for one, I'd suggest that they do. It is a truly beautiful piece of engineering, with smooth tuning knob, easy to operate controls and you can quite literally switch it on and off you go.

Okay, so not a pedigree Grundig - but I used to own a 'not Alsatian' dog that was a perfect example of the breed but with his mother's Collie curled tail. Bugger snobbery - he was loved and just as smart as the other big dogs - the same can be said for this radio.

Not in the JRC leauge of sets - but up there with the best.

GEIIM Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2004 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding rcvr and good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for 1 year and I can say that it has become my favorite. Yes, it may lack the more modern styling of other radios, it is a great performer. I've had over 10 HAM & SW radios and this radio is the best in the bunch when you combine the ergonomics, with the performance and ease of use. The sound is very good and though it is big and others claim that it eats batteries fast, it is portable which I can't say for HAM rigs. Other SW radios are more portable, but this radio is a better performer than all the ones I've tried.

The rotary tuning is excellent in feel and usefulness and the analog style meter is a joy to use. I've had no fit or finish problems with this radio. It receives as good as my high-end rigs, with less hassle and the synchronous side-band makes it sound great.

Memories are easy to use and set. Setting is easy - get a freq, press store and the memory location and it's set. Once their set, press the memory button and use the up/down buttons to go through them easily.

The only thing missing is a freq. scan feature (only scans memory locations). This is easy to get around by using the rotary dial, but an automatic search would've been nice.

Display is easy to read and large. On AC the light can be turned on and left on until shut off. On batteries the backlight shuts off after a short time (about 15 secs?)

If you like to listen to Broadcast shortwave stations or ham QSOs then for the money, this radio is a very good deal.

N0CEK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2004 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Received this rig about year ago and it came with a bad whip antenna. Talked Grundig into sending me a new whip(no easy trick) replaced the defective one. For more than a year now this has been a very good radio with no technical problems.

I use a 60ft wire on an antenna tuner with the S800M and it flat blows the doors off any other rig I got laying around here, including Seangen 909, 818, Sony 7600GR, etc. one note though I dont use it with batteries nor do I use it as a portable because it is not, it is a permit fixture in my shack.

As all radios it has some bugs already mention on this form, however, it has a very sensitive SW receiver with some really nice features that work well including 3 bandwith filters, AGC and AM SYNC which help pull those hard to get signals out of the mud and cross channel noise. It also works as well if not better than some of my Ham rigs on SSB. AM/MW is not inpressive until you add a longwire or other antenna, than it preforms as well as my old Zenith Trans-Oceanic which is suppose to be a fairly decent MW rig.

For the price this radio is a good bye, I am sure there are other more costly radios that are superior to this one but they will cost 3 to 6 times as much or more.

NADDY69 Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2004 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The people who are giving this radio 0 or 1 star are obviously dealing with a defective unit. Get a grip!

This is the best radio I've ever owned, and I own several. I have a Drake R8, Grundig S650 and S700, YB400 and a few antique tube sets, including a 1936 E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave. The S800 blows them all away. This thing simply pulls in more stations with better clarity and fidelity than any other. The Sync works as it's supposed to. The slow AGC and 3 bandwidths are great. The tuning knob is silky smooth. The sound is good - not as great as the S650 but then, nothing is. It sounds better than 99% of shortwave radios out there. Lacks bass on FM, but FM reception is quite good. MW also very good. Lots of activity on the Air band, as I have several airports nearby.

I don't deny that there have been loads of QC problems, but you don't base a review on a defective sample.

KA2SHU Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2004 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Radio is way over rated.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let's start with the good.

1) The radio has a nice display and large size controls making it easier to operate than many other radios.
2) It's an impressive looking radio.
3) The 2 speed AGC helps reduce signal fading on the AM band as much or more than the the syncro detector.

The bad:
1) On 20.0 Mhz there is a distinct clicking sound from the synthesizer.
2) This radio is touted as being more powerful than others. On the AM broadcast band, the sensitivity is just mediocre especially when using an external antenna. On the airband it's poor. On shortwave it's just adequate.
3) The audio quality is also mediocre. The grill looks big but the speaker is actually quite small. There is very limited bass response even with the bass control on maximum. Previous German made Grundigs such as the 650 had superior audio.

Now comes the UGLY:
1) This radio will eat Alkeline D cells faster than any radio I have ever owned.
2) When tuning through certain SW frequency ranges, the synthesizer hash is way too loud and unacceptable
3) The power supply brick is a noise generator. This noise will permiate your shack and you might have to leave it unplugged to stop the noise.
4) The tuning meter is useless on FM. Practically all stations in my area peg the needle. On the AM band, it's way too scotch and not even remotely accurate.
5) The syncro detector on the radio I owned would produce a loud squeel on the first push. It would not always lock in. When locked in, was no better that just putting the AGC on slow.
6) Keep the maual handy if you ever want to set up the timers. It's a tough and tricky one to remember.
7) The main tuning knob was light weight and had a distinct wobble.

JEZPOOL Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2004 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Good quality and performance at a fair price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a "refurbished" Grundig Millenium 800, purchased from Universal Radio, for over a year. I've field stripped it down to an empty case, mostly out of curiosity. The only difficult part is removing the back which must be sprung slightly to clear the various rear connectors. It's well laid-out; connections between boards are plug-in coax jumpers.

My only hardware complaint is the volume control; this has been mentioned by another reviewer. It cuts-off the left channel near full CCW but not the right channel. The channels are not balanced and there is no balance control. I don't really care because I've soldered a tiny short between the tip and ring on my headphone plug, i.e., the phones are monaural which I prefer for DXing. I suspect, as others do, that Chinese QC is somewhat lacking. Reduced cost may not be the only advantage in a "refurbished" unit if it is returnable.

Arguably, "off-the-air" stereo is not high fidelity, even with a very high quality FM tuner and antenna. There is too much noise (hiss) from stereo decoding. A multiband receiver should not even be considered a high fidelity audio device. Headphone audio is good enough for voice and popular music but high fidelity stereo requires discrete, high quality components. The speakers are most important.

Just as good speakers driven by a cheap amplifier usually outperform an expensive amp with cheap speakers, a cheap radio with a good antenna usually outperforms an expensive receiver with a poor antenna. A well matched high-gain antenna will enhance any radio receiver, regardless of cost.

My antenna is entirely "home brew". It's a 50'x15'x4' triple loop which resembles a 4 facet pyramid in the attic. Since loops are balanced feed antennae, I use a balun to couple the antenna to 50 ohm coax downfeed. The balun also serves as an impedance transformer. The loop impedance is near 100 ohms and the Grundig SW antenna input is 50 ohms. Impedance matching is extremely important because a mismatch will result in signal loss from the coax downfeed.

This afternoon (01/19/04), at around 1 PM local time, I logged a station, at 13670 KHz, broadcasting oriental music, from Tinian island at S7 on my Grundig 800. In the same time period, I easily copied a VOA broadcast from Botswana at 13710 KHz at S5. All WWV transmissions, except 2500 KHz, were at least S6 and CHU at 14670 was an S8. I've been told that the Grundig 800 S meter reads low but I don't have the equipment to calibrate mine. I don't have a comparison receiver so I'm posting these S readings for others to evaluate.

I have made one internal modification and a simple antenna hack. I disconnected the internal ferrite loopstick by unpluging the coax jumper. This reduces MW noise with my external antenna connected. The 50 ohm antenna connection on the Grundig 800 requires an SO-239 (CB style) connector. I've drilled a small hole in a right angle SO-239 coupler (available at RS), threaded a small bolt into the center connector. The bolt extends out the side of the connector and is insulated from the shield. I connect this bolt to the whip antenna, using a clip junper, to utilize what appears to be the whip's RF preamp stage. This results in a 3 db increase in S meter reading for most signals. It does not work equally well at all frequencies and can lead to front-end overloading. The antenna selector switch on the back of the Grundig 800 makes it easy to experiment with this hack and it doesn't void the warranty.

Incidentally, the manual specifies an external power voltage requirement of 7-10 VDC. I measured the output voltage from the Grundig's AC power supply at 11.8 VDC. Consequently, I tried connecting two 6 volt (PS640) gel-cell batteries, in series, into the external power plug. This higher voltage, continuously applied, has done no harm to the receiver for over a year. I float charge both batteries for emergencies. I've bridged the battery output with a 100 mf capacitor and slipped a ferrite ring around the power cord at the jack end to eliminate interference from the charging units. I would recommend using a series resistor of about 10 ohms when trying this caper initially to reduce the output voltage within specs, I did. I removed it because it wastes battery power and gets hot.

I'm satisfied with my Grundig 800. I use it primarily for SW DXing and casual MW and FM listening. LW DX reception requires a gigantic antenna from my location in western Colorado and there is very little airband chatter so I cannot evaluate the Grundig 800 performance in these bands. I monitor a lot of SSB, an acquired skill, which would be easier with a variable BFO (the receiver tunes in 50 Hz steps). CW is easy to copy. Seventy memories are more than adequate but I don't like the 10 memory page scan arrangement. I would prefer a simple threshold scan on all bands, separate from the memory system.

I close with one more blanket statement. The results obtained from most receivers depend largely on the skill of the operator. I've DXed Africa with a 2 tube regenerative receiver but it wasn't easy. All the modern gizmos (synchonous detectors, rf amps, narrow band filters, etc.) usually yield disappointing results for an inexperienced operator because they expect spectacular results, just by engaging a function, under any condition. It doesn't work that way. Know your receiver, whatever brand, and you'll probably enjoy using it.

N6HBJ Rating: 1/5 Jan 14, 2004 19:19 Send this review to a friend
very dissappointed....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started out in radio in the 70's, so BIG radios I like! I also like analog swing s-meters. So I had no trouble with the size of this radio or the looks. And I couldn't wait to try out the synchronous detector (which is why I purchased it because Ham transcievers lack that function) on shortwave broadcast stations. I didn't want to go all out and spend high dollar for a reciever just yet so I figured this radio would be a good temporary compromise. Table top performance for 1/3 the price!
I've been impatiently waiting for this reciever to arrive in the mail. I was so excited to finally get it and try it out.
However, I was very very dissapointed-especially after reading all the great reviews - including the one from "Passport to World Band radio" which is a SWLer's bible. The problem with this radio is that when I try and use an external antenna, I get bombarded with splatter from the AM broadcast band throughout the entire HF spectrum which makes the radio generally USELESS for shortwave listening unless ofcourse I use the whip antenna. But then I can't pick up any decent signals with just the whip.
So I guess I'll probably be returning it - didn't even last 24 hours.