Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | TGM Communications Hybrid Quad Help

Reviews Summary for TGM Communications Hybrid Quad
TGM Communications Hybrid Quad Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $280.00
Description: Mini HF Beam 4-band/6-band

You can write your own review of the TGM Communications Hybrid Quad.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2005 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Great little beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had three of these over the years and they work very well and super easy to put up, I must also say I have also had the Cushcraft and it is an excellent antenna as well. I would not say one is better then the other in any way except maybe weight , I found both the TGM mini Quad and the Cushcraft mini beam to be just about the same as far as performance goes, it will just depend on which one you think will fit your needs the best, I don't think you can go wrong either way, 73 Jim N0XE
2E0XTC Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2005 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Little Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is for the TGM MQ1.. I would give it 10/5 if I could

First of all, I'd like to thank Tom McKay for his patience, and time, in answering my emails about his product. I have never come across more prompt, courteous and friendly service in ANY store/company.

I have to use a mini beam, as I live on a very small lot, anything bigger than a dipole ( I own a cushcraft D3 as well) looks well out of place. My neighbours have commented, favourably, of the appearance of the Antenna, with it's small foot print, wound down on its tower, it nestles behind two apexes.

It is incredibly light, well made, and simple to install.. It is ideal as well for portable operation, as it will fit on and old 3 series BMW's roof rack, in 2 pieces!! I have worked, in the last week, 20 over into Kuwait, and 5/9 into Namibia. I am also hearing stations in the Carribean, which is somewhere i struggled with before.

The Summary?
Sure, it isn't a full size monobander, but for small lots, and portable work, this antenna takes some beating. Service second to none, and quality build. Will review again after 6 months.Keep up the great work Tom!!

W9YE Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2004 13:52 Send this review to a friend
No competition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I looked carefully at all the currently available small beams on the market, and have been extremely happy with the T.G.M. MQ-26. I decided based upon the following:

1. Excellent build quality: This made the choice easy compared with my previous Cushcraft products. Now up over a year on a chimney mount and holding its own against the elements.

2. Gain on 12 and 17: Many other small beams work as rotatable dipoles only on the WARC bands.

3. Customer support: I purchased mine used on, but emailed Tom with some questions and received a detailed reply in a matter of hours.

4. Physically small: My neighbors think its simply a large TV antenna. Has allowed me to chase DX in an antenna-unfriendly suburb in stealthy fashion.

5. Performance: I am continually amazed at the results of this physically small antenna up a modest 35 feet in the air. I can work pretty much any DX that I hear. I have to smile with reports of "big signal" from my barefoot Icom.

Negatives: I have not had much luck on 6 meters with this antenna. The website and product information clearly indicate that SWR is high on 6, so this was no suprise and not an issue for me. Also, I cannot recommend using a light duty TV rotator. Mine worked for three days before being replaced by a medium-duty "real" ham rotator.

Bottom line: If your trying to decide between this and the MA5B or other mini-beams, I don't thinks it's any contest. 73 de...

W8SAN Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2004 19:00 Send this review to a friend
After 3 years works great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 3 years of Michigan weather my MQ-1 four band antenna operates like day one. It all started with easy assembly.I Took my time setting up sections indoors before before competion outside using a 1.1 Balun.Tuning the vswr was at about 4Ft above the ground with no change after installed in its location of 33FT. mounted to my chimmney.I turn it with a Phillips tv rotator and use a thurt bearing. My subdivision will not permit towers.The other antennas I own are a Gap challenger dx,Hustler 5-btv and Cushcraft ma5v. The MQ-1 is about 2s-units better.Direction makes a small difference on 20 meters,but the change becmes greater on the higher frequencies.My MQ-1 has made dxing and daily operation fun with typcical signal reports of 5-8 at 100watts.For dxing and difficult copy 600watts is used.My MFJ-986 tuner bring 12 and 17 meters down to 1.1 swr. Iam looking forward to the next 3 years and beyond.

Sandy W8SAN
F5SJF Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2003 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Très bonne antenne  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bonsoir à tous,
Cette antenne est fabuleuse. Vu la taille qu'elle a et ce qu'elle est capable de faire, c'est vraiment sensationnel. Même dans les piles up elle est très performantes. Pour preuve 8P,7Q,HS0,VK,PJ4,VP5VP9,V2,D4,ZL avec une puissance de 100watts et le tout en moins de 4 mois. Seul petit problème, la bande passante un petit peu étroite mais on ne peut pas trop en demander pour une antenne de cette taille la. Heureusement la boite de couplage rattrape mais malheureusement la puissance n'est pas rayonné à 100%.
Un conseil si vous n'avez pas beaucoup de place acheté ce produit vous serez satisfait.
Oui j'oublié, je possède la version 2 éléments de base
K1US Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2003 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I've had the six band TGM 2 element MQ-26 in the air at my Maine coastal QTH since last summer, and have enjoyed using it more all the time. Even as the sunspots decline, my 100 to 300 watts still get through to most anyone I call, and they can still hear me well even when their signals seem marginal on my end. My property is surrounded by conservation land, and this antenna is hardly visible - it has no negative effect on the songbirds who come to feed and rest on our marsh-edge lot, or on visitors who come to enjoy nature.

Directivity and gain are most noticeable from 17 meters on up. On 20 meters there is a good amount of both, but just not as pronounced. It's mounted on a Radio Shack 18 foot telescoping mast anchored securely to the house 15 feet above ground on a second-level deck. Turned easily with a simple R/S TV rotator. Our occasional Atlantic coast high winds are no problem, and I have added some light guying with black dacron rope.

Tom at TGM is very helpful, answers questions gladly, and shipped very quickly in spite of the major power blackout hitting Ontario east to New York last August. The product is of high quality and assembles easily. Tuning was no problem following the detailed instructions.

Raising the beam a bit recently from 32 feet up to 36 feet made a real improvement, as it's now well above my roof ridgeline. Just finished using it in another RTTY contest under difficult conditions, and the results are gratifying -- Antarctica and Albania for new ones.

This is a real winner, and I wish I'd bought one sooner. In my 50th year as a licensed ham, I've never owned a beam before, and wonder about all the DX I missed. So go to the phone and order one!

Jon K1US
KC7MFG Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2003 00:43 Send this review to a friend
MQ-26SR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed to graduate to a beam. I passed my Extra Class and I deserved a present. I bought a military AB-577 mast that "launches" to 48'. I needed a telescoping mast since I live on a cliff on the coast of Oregon and storms reach 70+ mph. I also needed an antenna with a smaller footprint because of the storms and size restrictions of my lot. After a great amount of research I took the plunge and after calling TGM bought the MQ-26SR (I wanted the new coils and WARC bands).

The antenna is surperb. Now a CQ gets answered. Before I would have some nights without a contact but now if I spend 10 or 15" working the band I have a QSO. I have a Force 12 40-XK and it works well and is very portable, (unfortunatley as other people have written, service with them is poor, I wrote emails asking about their telescoping mast and beams without any replys), but the MQ-26 is on another plane. There is simply no comparison.

I don't have a 20' beam Tribander to compare TGM's Mini-Quad 4' beam to, but if you have space considerations you will not be disapointed.

P.S. There is absolutely not beating there price.
NE0P Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2002 01:19 Send this review to a friend
Here is the proof  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the original Mini Quad from mini products in Erie, PA. If you are wondering about performance, here is my experience. I just finished the ARRL 10 meter contest, and made 861 QSOs, which is my best contest total ever. Worked 75 different DXCC countries and 46 states. I installed the antenna at the beginning of July 2002, and have worked 163 different countries with it since that time. Some of the better stuff worked is: BY, BV, 4W, 9M6, 9M2, S0, TY, KH9, VR2, 3C, YB, and DU. This is all running barefoot with a yaesu FT100D.

If you feel you do not have room for a beam, get this antenna. It fits almost anywhere. I have mine mounted on a roof tripod, and it is probably 30 feet high at most. During the contest I received several unsolicited comments about the strength of my signal, and have heard the same types of comments on 6 meters. In fact, I sold my 3 element 6 meter beam and now only use the mini quad. I have not suffered at all in performance.

As I said, you can fit this antenna anywhere and get very good performance. It won't perform a large tribander or monobanders, but it will beat the heck out of a dipole or vertical.
WA2MGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2002 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Superb Mini Beam! MQ-1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased this antenna and have found its performance and workmanship magnificent. I'm have the MQ-1 and run mostly on 20m. She hears better than my full size dipole and my vertical. It has directivity and easily handles the legal limit. Compared to its forefather, the old HQ-1 made in Eerie, PA... this revised version is made of superb material and it lightweight, yet much stronger than its old precedessor. I have it up at 30' rotating it with an HD-73. Let your ears be the judge! Across the bands I see and hear a solid two "S" unit increase over my dipole. I hear places I NEVER could copy. The price is very good, even with the small customs charge to get into the US from Canada. The total setup time to on the air: 3 hours. It simply can't be beat and the materials make my Cushcraft vertical look and sound like trash.
KB9UMT Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2002 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Compare against a full size? Will it work on other bands?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I wanted a mini-beam that would work but was also the smallest I could buy as to not attract attention at our new home (start small then expand later when folks get used to the tower thing). I looked and read every review and beam out there:

- Force C3SS - boom small but still long elements and I am sure works well and has good reviews...higher price but sometimes you get what you pay for.

- CC MA5B - has great reviews and price is cheap and would love to try this only adipole on 12 and 17 and not sure on the performace on 6 meters although the reviews say it plays there.

- Hex Beam - Did not seem that small to me and I think would attract attention, price was high too
but good reviews.

- TGM MQ-2 Mini Quad - 6 bands ..looked to be the smallest and had more bands with gain on all of them ...price higher but reviews good.

(I do not have the money or space but I sure would love to compare all these small beams and see who wins out!! Anybody out there willing to do that and write about it for us guys with small spaces???)

I think from what I read here on the reviews so far most all of them are comparing the TGM MQ-2 Mini Quad against wire or vertical antennas...I did not want to do that for this review (although the MQ-2 sure does outperform them hands down as all have said). I was not a Ham that only had verticals or wire antennas but had a full size Tribander up on a 40 ft tower at the old house so I kinda knew what the "norm" was on signals out of it even though it of course was no longer up to compare direct. I was very afraid that the MQ-2 would perform poorly but looking forward to the added 12 and 17 meter part of the smaller MQ-2. I was surprised that on almost all bands it played very well and better than expected but I did notice that things seemed to be lower than I remember on 20 was it the move or maybe that the MQ-2 was only up 35 feet to top of mast..or what? So I decided to get a few local Hams that had full size Tribanders up and compair them on contacts on 20, 15 and 10 meters. I have to say that this little MQ-2 played right with them and most stations we made contact with could barely notice a difference in signal and if they did it was less than 1 sunit (2db?) gain or so...I was very please and most the operators could not believe that a 5 foot boom with 2 elements of 11 foot could play that well. So I just wanted to pass this along to others...Don't let the size fool you as it seems to work very well! I was going to wait a year and sell this MQ-2 and move up to a full size Tribander again but I think I will keep the MQ-2 up a little longer.

Things I liked about this antenna:

- Its SIZE...its is very small..most my neighbors think it is a TV antenna
- It is quiet...very good receive
- Small cheap rotor can be used with it
- Well built and will take some good winds and ice
- Shipped well packed and easy to put together
- 6 Bands...or maybe more?? (read below)
- Seems to handle my Kenwood 922 amp just fine (if I ever need the amp...99% of the time it is off)
- Tom truely is a nice guy to deal with

Things I did not like:

- The instruction where good but at times felt it could have given a better picture
- The price seemed higher than most and had to pay extra from Canada for boarder passing
- Narrow banded but Ok with tuner and again to be expected with this type antenna
- My biggest gripe is the front to back is poor but the side is good....I almost graded this MQ-2 a 4 for that fact because it really is poor in my view but then again it is a small antenna and boom and that goes with the territory...I did not rate this a 4 but a 5 because I see Tom really did know this to be true and if you look at his new model it has a much better rejection kit on the back!!

I also have not read anyone that maybe had tried this antenna on other bands other than the 6 bands it covers which is 6,10,12,15,17, and 20..would it work else where?? YEP IT WORKS FOR ME ON 2 METERS!! Now I know you are saying but did it receive and transmit far...yes and yes. I actually tested with a guy 40 miles out and played very nice on 2 meter SSB (again my swr was good around 144.2 and jumped around then good again around 146.7 which was perfect for me as our local FM repeater is in that area!). I also listened in on some 2 meter nets in Indiana so that was some 160 miles out. And it has a beam pattern also with very tight nulls on 2 meters much more so than on HF. It seems to play good so will keep testing....your mileage my vary according to how you set the spokes and coax length used. It also loads on 440 but no one here to test with yet...might let you know later. I found this very interested so wanted to pass this along so others with multiband rigs with 2 meters might give it a try!

Again this is a super little antenna for its size and it really does not draw attention and I highly recommend it...had it a year now and again I might just keep it!

de KB9UMT Don Peoria IL EN50