Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | KMA 4113 VHF/UHF LOG PERIODIC Help

Reviews Summary for KMA 4113 VHF/UHF LOG PERIODIC
Boom Length: 12 FT
Turning Radius: 8.5 FT
Weight: 12 LBS
Wind Area: 3 SQ FT
Antenna Gain: 8 dBi (Free Space)
F:B Ratio: 26 dB
SWR: 1.8 : 1.0 OR LESS
Materials: T6061 ALUMINUM AND STAINLESS
Connection: DIRECT
Options: Ferrite Bead Balun
Vertical Mount
More info: http://www.qsl.net/w4kma/index.htm

You can write your own review of the KMA 4113 VHF/UHF LOG PERIODIC.

WB4OKM Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2014 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Good all purpose antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that this antenna is now out of production, but thought that I would review it for the benefit of Ed and any others that happen to own it. By the way, Eham needs to update that is no longer in production. This is a great all-round antenna for those that cant put up a bunch of VHF/UHf antennas for each band. A side benefit of this antenna is that it somehow works on 10 Meters! The SWR is about 2 to 1 on this band, but it works great for me and performs better than my Carolina Windom on this band. I use it mainly on 6 meters and is great on this band. On 2 meters, it is less great, but has reasonable results. I have not had much luck with it on 432. I dont have 220 all mode capability, but have used it for FM receive on my HT, and it seems to receive well. I have had this antenna for about 10 years now, and it has held up very well. Its a shame it is no longer manufactured. Im very glad I bought it. Marvin, WB4OKM

VE1SKY Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2011 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Good for Meteor Scatter too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update: The KMA 4113 is proving to be a great all-round antenna. I have had this antenna installed for three maintenance free years in high winds and ice conditions. I am pushing it through all sorts of radio modes and am discovering and appreciating it's incredible versatility and durability. After several years use I can now give the KMA 4113 LPDA a rating of 5 of 5.

The latest use of this antenna has been meteor scatter on 6 and 2 meters. As far as I can tell, the KMA 4113 has not been used for meteor scatter before. The antenna is proving to work extremely well for both RX/TX in WSJT modes. It is broad enough to receive meteor pings from many directions, yet has enough gain to accomplish long distance QSOs.

If you want one very good antenna that does more than any other for vhf/uhf modes, look no further.

G7PUV Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Superb antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't actually own the 4113, I had a custom model designed and built by Ed to cover 26-100MHz for utility and DXTV monitoring. The construction is superb, quality of the aluminium is excellent as is the accuracy of the cutting and drilling of the elements and boom. Living next to the sea antennas take a bashing, it has already been through 70mph winds on top of a 17m mast and we have some pretty big gulls round here who like to sit on extra long perches but the rear elements take it all in their stride with no problems.

Performance is spot on, gain and directivity over such a large bandwidth is just amazing. When I first envisaged a log periodic I thought it was going to be a compromise for each band but no way is this the case, this is just a fantastic performer right across it's coverage. From 10m amateur through 6m and DXTV, east european FM and right up to the FM broadcast band, it really does the business. I've definately been converted to Log periodics and the KMA.

W7ZZT_NOW_W6DO Rating: 2/5 May 1, 2004 01:46 Send this review to a friend
SWR Problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the 144 Mhz+ version of this log for almost a year now and I have to report a mediocre performance. SWR problems are the main concern. 3:1 to 2:1 is about the best I can do on 144, 222, and 432 and this is after using a coiled-coax balun to prevent fold-back on the transceiver. Credit to Ed for trying to work with me on the SWR problem but it still remains a problem both as a home QTH mount and as mobile while roving.

KE9EH Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2002 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Stable Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna for 3.5 years and really enjoy it. Primary use is on 6 meter SSB, however have been satisfied with performance on 2 meter SSB as well. Found antenna to be comparable to a 3 element yagi on numerous QSOs. Antenna is quite versatile with wide frequency coverage for monitoring enthusiasts. As far as support, Ed (W4KMA) is very supportive of his product and quite knowledgable.

N5VK Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2001 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The KMA antennas are high quality antennas that deliver outstanding performance. I bought both the KMA 4113 VHF/UHF and the KMA 1330 HF log periodic antennas and I am equally pleased with the quality of construction and the performance of both log periodic antennas.

Construction was fairly easy. All parts were included and I had no major problems. The booms were cut with very high tolerance and it was a challenge to get some of the elements to fit in. A little WD-40 lubricant spray helped and a little very light sanding for the tight ones. This was a good thing. I would not have wanted it any other way. The antenna was solid after construction with no loose fittings. All of the hardware is stainless steel. Care must be taken with the screws because the stainless steel is brittle and will break if too much torque is applied. This is true for all stainless hardware. (I purchased some replacements locally and they did the same thing) The small screws that hold the elements together must be screwed in until they are hand tight and then backed out some and then tightened again until they are completely inserted and tight. This takes a little patience but it is well worth it. When construction is complete the elements are all solid and tight and strong. This is all mentioned in the instruction sheets, which are adequate for the task. I would have liked more pictures and a little better organization but the instruction sheets were clear enough and I was able to ascertain the correct steps for construction fairly easily. The KMA 4113 assembled easily with no problems. The KMA 1330 had two very small things that were confusing. One is that the holes for the screws for the feed line were both drilled on the bottom and top of the boom. I would have preferred that they were drilled on the side instead, in the same way that the KMA 4113 was drilled. The other thing is that a set of spacers with the hardware was included but the holes were not drilled where these were supposed to go. Neither of these things affected the construction or strength or performance of the antenna. And while I do not know why this was done I assume that it may have been last minute design changes. I have installed these antennas on an 8-foot roof tower on my home. The KMA 1330 is on the bottom and the KMA 4113 about 5 feet above it. I clear coated both antennas to keep them looking nice and shiny and corrosion free.

Performance of the antennas is extremely good. I have heard the first ever 60 over 9 signal strength on 20 meters. This was from a station in Florida and I am in San Antonio Texas. Signal strengths on all bands are the highest I?ve ever heard at my QTH. I have logged more contacts in one month on these antennas than I have logged all year long on my previous antennas. I have had several antennas including dipoles, verticals, horizontal loops, and commercial triband beams. This one beats them all although the loop is a close second. The KMA 4113 has opened up a new world for me on six meters. Six meters is an exciting band that I had not had much luck with before. The first weekend after I installed the KMA 4113 I logged more than 60 contacts on this band! I am thrilled with this performance! I plan to use 2 meters and 440 more often and I am considering purchasing a transverter for the 220 band. I am running a Yaesu FT-847 and the rigs 100 watts HF and 50 watts V/UHF is adequate for most QSO?s. Most of the time I get 59 signal reports. I have not had to fire up the amplifier yet, although I might do so just to keep the spiders and dust out of it. After all, ?Life is too short for QRP?! The FT-847 is very sensitive to mismatched loads and a relatively small SWR will result in a power reduction from the radio. Using both the KMA 1330 and the KMA 4113 I get the full power out on all bands without using a tuner at all! I think this is great! The front to back is consistent with factory specifications but I may not be achieving the best performance due to the low height of my installation. I am extremely pleased with the performance of KMA antennas and I can recommend them highly to anyone considering a log periodic purchase. There is one thing I would like to point out. These are log periodic antennas. While I speak highly of their performance, they should not be compared to antennas that are designed to produce very high gain on a narrow bandwidth. Generally speaking, all log periodic antenna performance is roughly equal to a 3-element beam on any given frequency it is designed for. I believe that the efficiency of log periodic antennas is superior. I also believe that the construction quality and design of KMA log periodic antennas allows peak efficiency to be achieved.

In summary, I believe KMA antennas to be very high quality and they certainly deliver the performance. Construction is straight forward and actually enjoyable. I am sure I will be using these antennas at my QTH for a long time to come. I can recommend KMA antennas.