Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | ARRL License Manuals Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL License Manuals
ARRL License Manuals Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $15-30
Description: The ARRL publishes license maunuals for all 3 license classes, plus a guide for CW. Books include all questions and answers from the Pools, along with an in depth chapter for each question pool supplement.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=%2A+Licensing

You can write your own review of the ARRL License Manuals.

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 12:09 Send this review to a friend
good for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I passed my general class exam in 1963 - this past week I passed my amateur extra using the arrl extra class license manual as well as the practice tests on eham - I did study electronics at a local community college in the 70's, but due to my career in computers, I haven't touched much of this stuff over the years. So, I'd say the arrl book and the practice tests did pretty well for me. I probably spent in the neighborhood of 30 hours working at it in preparation.

Regards,
Larry - KA2DDX

AG6CF Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2012 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Great way to LEARN  Time owned: more than 12 months
(For perspective, note that I have always been good at learning from books. I also had basic electronics, physics, logic, and a lot of math in college - 25 years ago.) I bought all three ARRL License Manuals. I read each one front to back, doing the questions in the back as recommended in the text. I did online practice tests (I recommend QRZ) along the way to supplement the books. I then took the Tech exam one Saturday, and the General and Extra the following Saturday, passing all three easily.

If you just want to "pass the test", you can take shortcuts. If you want to LEARN the material (and pass the test), these books are great. I find that I learned things while studying that are useful to me now.

K9KHJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 04:58 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Between the extensive detail in each section and the CD-ROM containing practice tests, I found myself breezing through a recent Extra class exam. It took longer for the VE team to go through the exam and correct it than I did to take it. I highly recommend an ARRL study guide for your next upgrade.

KC0GLA Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 17:49 Send this review to a friend
The Best Source  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought all three of these manuals. The biggest reason that I like these manuals is the information in the front of the manuals. I have had several guys study the Q&A only and are lost for years after they are licensed since they only know the questions. After reading these manuals you at least have the information that goes with the questions and more. I am now a Extra and can say these are one of the best ways to get your ticket.

KB3LSR Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the ARRL's books to take me from technician to extra. My wife earned her technician license using only the ARRL's book. My brother and father are now working though the ARRL books to get their licenses. If you want to pass the test and learn the material, I highly recommend the ARRL's books!!

N0CGF Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2007 07:01 Send this review to a friend
The BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ARRL license manual series has helped me pass every test from novice to extra.
Most of the ARRL series books are the ONLY source for correct information on a subject.
73's N0CGF

K3DC Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2007 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Manuals  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the tech manual at a Ham Fest in Cobb County, GA in May. On August 5th, 2007 I passed the tech. The same week I went to HRO and purchased the General. Today 10/07/07 I passed the General. My next plan is to purchase the Extra. when using these manuals and to study and take practice exams on QRZ.com the test becomes a breeze. I've been very pleased with all ARRL manuals

W4BGN Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2007 15:11 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used other books to study, but they all fall short compared to the ARRL study guides.

The thing I like is that the books give you detailed information as to the the theory behind the correct answer, not just the answer and 2 or 3 sentences about the answer.

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BUY THE ARRL BOOKS IF YOUR STUDYING FOR A TEST!!!

DZRTRAM Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2007 22:31 Send this review to a friend
I wouldn't be without it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On Feb. 2,2007 I was an unlicensed wannabe ham operator. On March 16 2007, after passing the Tech on Feb. 3, I became a General. I used the ARRL book for the General test along with the Ham Academy interactive practice tests, which refer each question to a page in the manual. People all around me were failing the test while I finished it in minutes and passed rather easily. The combination of the manuals and the Ham Academy online is almost failproof. I can't say enough good about both.

N4MWY Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2006 15:13 Send this review to a friend