Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | ARRL License Manuals Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL License Manuals
ARRL License Manuals Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $15-30
Description: The ARRL publishes license maunuals for all 3 license classes, plus a guide for CW. Books include all questions and answers from the Pools, along with an in depth chapter for each question pool supplement.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.php3?category=%2A+Licensing

You can write your own review of the ARRL License Manuals.

KI6BTZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2006 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed to get from technician to extra class license in less than a month. When combined with HamTestOnline these made it happen.

The books have a rare combination of clarity, brevity and thoroughness. ARRL is to be congratulated.

KD8CIP Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2005 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Now I'm Talking!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For years and years, I had been meaning to get involved with ham radio. I was too busy making a living to stop and get into ham radio. When hurricane Katrina happened, I read inspiring stories about hams helping out with emergency communications. I decided then and there to get my ticket. I logged on to ARRL and ordered the Now You're Talking technician license manual. I studied the manual during lunch time at work and before going to bed at home over a period of a few weeks. I found the manual very well written and informative. I especially needed the sections on operations and regulations because I had no previous experience with ham radio. Because I am an electrical engineer by profession and I used CB radios a lot in the past, I knew the electrical theory and I didn't have to work too hard on those parts. The book is designed to give the beginner ham all the knowledge needed to get on the air and it does what it said it would do. I passed the exam on my first attempt with a score of 34/35. My exam time was about six minutes. I highly recommend this manual to anyone wanting to get started in ham radio. The chapters are thorough and the material is designed to explain the subject matter, not just give you the answers to test questions. There are other study guides available, but I don't see how they could be better than the ARRL manual. After reading this book and taking the exam, I wished I had done this 20 years ago. To aspiring hams I say: get this book now and stop procrastinating. Now, I'm on a roll. I just ordered the General Class study guide and I'm learning CW with Ham University.

KI4HWJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2004 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Perfection!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read this study guide in 3 days. Easy to understand and fast reading. I like how this book teaches you the electronic theory instead of you just memorizing the answers. After using this book, using a faq book, along with online tests on eham.net I got a perfect score on my test. I would strongly recommend this book.

MANCOW Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2004 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Study Guide  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Now You're talking study guide is excellent! It really helps you remember what your reading, and understand it (most of the time). Although some of the chapters were way to technical and did not explain some topics more through. They do refer you to other ARRL books though if you are having difficulty reading a certain chapter.

Overall I give it a 4 - Excellent study guide with a few parts not understandable (by me anyways) I passed my test today with a 80%. I would get 95% and above on QRZ and eHam practice test.
Good job ARRL!

KA0ERZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2002 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Best overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I looked at several choices for upgrading to extra class. The ARRL study guide is big, but that is because it gives a lot of examples and teaches the theory along with how to take the test, not just memorizing the questions like other books. I learned the theory, enjoyed reading most of the book. Some parts were way too technical but provided a good reference. I got a 98 on the test. Best overall study guide I could find.

WB0ROD Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2002 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Great material  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife and two sons decided they wanted to get into this hobby. They signed up for a class being given by a few VE's. They came home with the ARRL Tech book. Looked like it was really well put together to me. I decided I would go ahead and upgrade while they earned their Tech licenses. I bought the Extra ARRL book. Then the wife and kids decided they would take the General while they were testing. I bought them the General book. We all studied the well written material for about a month. Took the tests last night. Everybody passed. The books are great. The questions are covered thoroughly in each book. You are not just learning the answers to the questions, you are learning about ham radio. Excellent books. Well written.

KC2IQO Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2001 15:23 Send this review to a friend
4 for 4! Look no further!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using the well written and easy to follow format of the ARRL publications (& Code CD), I went from earning my element 1 & 2 (Tech+HF) on 10/26/01 to earning my Element 3 on 11/20/01 and most rcently, my Extra Class on 12/26/01. Yes, in excatly 2 months to the day with the use of the ARRL publications I went from no license to Extra Class license.

It's a great feeling to have /AE on the end of my call so fast, with most of the credit to the ARRL
publications.

KB3HDN Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2001 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Great material  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my Technician & General licenses over the span of 2 months. I used the ARRL Tech & General study books as my only sources for book study material. I'm an electrical engineer, so that gave me a big head start, but I thought both books were very well written.

I used the ARRL "Your Intro to Morse Code" for my code study; it was also very well done. I liked the way they present each character one at a a time and then use practice words and sentences that use the letters you've already learned.

Note that in addition to any set of tapes or CDs you may buy for learning code, you'll want to get access to a Morse code generator program such as Nu-Morse or equivalent that runs on a computer and lets you produce random characters and sequences, otherwise you'll eventually memorize the practice words and sentences on the ARRL CD.

AD6YO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2001 02:54 Send this review to a friend
The best way to go.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the Gordon West guide when I took my novice and tech exams, and had to re-take the tech exam 3 times. On the third time, I gave up on the West book and bought the ARRL guide. I ended up acing the test. I found the ARRL books much more explanative, where West's book would have a few sentences on a topic, the ARRL book would dedicate several pages to it.

I also purchased their manual for the General and Extra exam, along with their CW CD's. The chapters explaining the theory were well written and easy to understand, and after practicing with the code CD's for 6 days, I aced the exam.

I still have the books and occasionally refer to them when I am unsure about something. I always recommend them when a friend is planning on upgrading. They make upgrading easy and enjoyable.