Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | K6ARU Radio Help

Reviews Summary for K6ARU Radio
K6ARU Radio Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60.00hr
Description:

Amateur (HAM) Radio Repairs ONLY. All make and models. Old (in repairable condition) and the Latest

All Amplifiers, Transceivers, Transmitters, Receivers, etc...

HF/VHF/UHF all modes, Tubes, Solid State, SMTechnology, etc...

Test, Alignments, RX/TX Modifications, Service Bulletins, etc...

Former Icom Technician 1994­96, over 30 years experience in Ham radio and Consumer products repairs service.

Amateur Radio license since 1988­Present­Extra class license in 1999

Est.7/2000 to 12/2014 ­TURNER RADIO in Lancaster, Ca.

Est. 1/2015 to Present ­K6ARU RADIO in Lake Los Angeles, Ca.

Service/Technical Info hours M­F 10am­-5pm PST S­S CLOSED

Estimate fee: $15 HT's, small items, accessories, etc... $30 mobiles, small/med ss amps, etc... $60 HF and big amps etc... Service charge: $60/hr minimum

30 Days Warranty Parts and Labor

Any radios left more than ­90 Days ­NO PAY­ NO REPLY­ Unit will be ether Scrapped/Parted/Sold ­90 Days of receiving it-

Charles Turner K6ARU 40074 176th Street East Lake Los Angeles, Ca. 93591­3136

M­F 10AM­5PM PST ONLY S­S CLOSED (661) 264­3680

E­mail: k6aru@cwo.com

You can write your own review of the K6ARU Radio.

AI6J Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2017 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Ai6j  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like Charles/ he's a bit quirky but knows what he's doing. Just have some patience and he will getter done! Fixed my Kenwood 940. Ai6j

W7IV Rating: 0/5 Mar 16, 2017 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've held off writing this review to make sure I wasn't just angry, but my experience with him deserves a zero.

I spoke with him about repairing an amplifier and shipped it to him as agreed. After multiple attempts at communications, after four months I told him to pack it up and send it back. He variously described multiple lapses in communications due to email problems and his involvement in a plane crash.

When the amp was sent back, he under-insured it and improperly packed it. It came double boxed in two boxes which didn't meet UPS standards, and was filled with some packing peanuts and various, random styrofoam boogers that must have been laying about. The power supply fan was smashed and casing bent, the case scratched, etc. It took me a 60 mile round trip to UPS to have them tell me that there was no way they were going to pay the insurance claim.

He yelled at me on the phone when we discussed it, and has not responded to any emails about his promise to, "make it up to me." He yelled about his plane crash, and he yelled about my Paypal dispute for the shipping charges.

When we took apart the amp to make an attempt to fix it yesterday, there were multiple interior screws missing and ribbon cables unhooked.

I'm glad to hear others had good luck with him, but I wouldn't send him a clock radio at this point. This experiment has cost me hundreds of dollars and I still don't have a working amplifier.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2016 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Good work performed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Turner worked on my Kenwood TS-450 and did a great job at a resonable cost. Highly recommended.

K7WYR Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2016 09:11 Send this review to a friend
repair old ts-440  Time owned: months
I sent my radio to charles several days before I left on vacation. I was gone about 20 days, when I returned home a email said radio was ready. Sent my money order and the radio returned about 5 days later. The radio works great for a 38 year old radio. The price was very reasonable, the turn around was great. yes I would recomend this repair man to my fellow hams. 5-26-2016 Douglas Flint K7WYR

WA6PH Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2016 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent provider  Time owned: more than 12 months
Charles is a bit different, but very honest and reliable. His return rate with phone calls and e-mails is not the best, but when weighed against his integrity, I can wait. He serviced both my TS 940Sat and 2 - TS 440Sat's to total satisfaction. His repair/testing work was timely and early with all three, as well as, accurate with their needs. I've been to his home/shop and find it professional in appearance and quality. Believe me, it is worth the use of his services to find someone of his caliber and knowledge still around.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2015 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Repaired/bench checked IC-746Pro (3 mo. ago) I plan on keeping until I croak. Good turn-around, very fair pricing, I will send more to him and recommend him to anyone.

VA3BGO Rating: 1/5 Jul 31, 2015 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Swan Transceiver   Time owned: more than 12 months
Transceiver 100MX was repaired in January and I paid promptly. Radio never arrived, made many follow-up calls and emails but no response. Repair costs were eventually refunded after I went through Paypal dispute process, but no explanation as to what happened to the radio.

AI6IG Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2015 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 3 transceivers repaired by Charles, all at reasonable prices. His turnaround time was shorter by far than the estimate he gave me and the repairs were well done. In fact, he repaired an Alinco DX-77T that Alinco wouldn't touch as well as an older Ten-Tec Century 21 that no one but Ten-Tec would touch, and at a lower cost.

A smart guy and a pleasure to do business with.

K7JNT Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 16:48 Send this review to a friend
He fixed my rig when several other techs wouldn't touch it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an early Yaesu FT-817 portable 5 watt radio that got zapped by static and started displaying low voltage, and then finally stopped transmitting due to blown finals. Since it was heavily customized with expensive enhancements by W4RT (dual CW/SSB filter board, BHi DSP, TCXO-9), I wanted to fix this little rig rather than replace it. I went down the eHam list of technicians with high reputations and contacted 4 of them. None of them even wanted to touch my FT-817. I finally came to Turner and contacted Charles. He said no problem, send it in and he'll only charge a reasonable bench fee if he determines it is unfixable. But he warned his backlog was 3 weeks.

About a week after he received it, I received an email from Charles saying my FT-817 is fixed and calibrated, and for a very reasonable fee, much less than buying a new FT-817ND. After I received it, I tried it out on 2m and several HF bands, and my beloved little rig works perfectly. Thank you Charles! I should have started my search for a tech from the bottom of the eHam list. Charles at Turner Radio is now my go-to guy for any future repair needs.

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 13:37 Send this review to a friend
High regard!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a used SGC SG500 SmartCube, back in 2009, used it a bit, then sold it. It worked great.
The fellow who bought it, said that he didn't realize how much current it needed, and didn't have a big enough power supply, and asked me if I would buy it back. I did, and just stuck it on a shelf.
A couple of years after that, a friend of mine wanted to buy it, and not thinking that anything could have gone wrong, while it was out of my hands, I just sold it to him. He called me back, and said that the thing didn't power up, and upon further looking, it appeared that someone had removed the power supply wiring, from inside the thing. Not knowing what went where, I sent it, with another friend, to Turner Radio, and had it fixed. When it came back, it was putting out copious amounts of power, and working like a charm. Fortunately, my friend was very happy, with the results.
My experience with Turner Radio, was great, and I recommend them, highly.