Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | GHD Telegraph Key Help

Reviews Summary for GHD Telegraph Key
GHD Telegraph Key Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: GHD Bugs and Paddles
More info: http://www.MorseX.com/ghd

You can write your own review of the GHD Telegraph Key.

WQ8Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2001 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Smoooooth!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GH-GD347WS Optical Single/Dual Paddle
Santa was good to me this year. I'd hinted I'd wanted this paddle. But sometimes Santas (and most especially XYL's) never listen. I've got several paddles, and they've all got their strong points. The Bencher works fine; the Kent works great but is "clicky." Based on the reviews here and the pictures of this little beauty at Morse Express/Milestone Technologies, I e-mailed a picture of it to my wife a couple of months ago.
So I was up here in the shack on XMAS playing with the new toy. One word to describe it. . . SMOOOTH! No noise. Nothing! The adjustments are a little tricky, but once set, they seem to stay. Now this is not a paddle for those who bat the thing all over the table when they send. This one takes some finesse and the easiest thing to do is just sit back and relax and have at it. Learn to send with the tips of your fingers.
You need 12 volts to run the little board on the underneath. That's fine. This is one paddle you won't be taking backpacking or on field day. The finish is superb.
Get tired of using it ? Need a little humor in your life? Read the instructions. Examples:

"First your key's right arm look straight in line with base.
Fasten all screw nut. Go Well?"

And from the description:
"Used Six premium metal bearings. They make smooth operation. No buck rush." (Back lash???)

But to sum it up, again from the instructions:

"IT'S EPOCH MAKING KEY!"

KE5C Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2001 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Two levers are better than one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GHD manufactures optical and mechanical paddles and semi-automatic keys (bugs), and reviewing them as if a single product seems like reviewing all Kenwood radios as one. (http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ghdkey/eproducts.htm)

I am specifically reviewing the GN127WS mechanical semi-automatic key. This same design is available in the GD127WS optical model, and both feature a very unusual "W" lever mechanism which allows the key to be set up either as a single lever bug or a double lever bug. As a double lever bug, adjustments allow settings where the dot and dash levers are completely independent of each other. This is obviously not possible when the bug is set up as a single lever.

After discovering the incredible world of semi-automatic keys, I had acquired and borrowed a number of various models, and the most pleasing to use was a 1917 Vibroplex Double Lever. The complete mechanical independence of the two levers provides a special and unique sensitivity and responsiveness to the operator. Quickly realizing I would never own such a Vibroplex, I called Marshall Emm at Morse Express and asked if he was aware of any current production double lever keys. Strange I should ask he replied since GHD had just announced the "W" lever series. While I am certain the optical mechanism has advantages, it just seemed to me that a semi-automatic key should be all mechanical, and I think I purchased the first mechanical example of this key which Marshall received.

The construction is superb and in ways very creative. Operating the key is an incredible pleasure. I am able to set it up for my preferred very light touch, and I do not have to readjust the dwell when changing speeds over the 20 to 35 wpm or so range I operate. My TenTec Omni has lightning fast QSK, and like all other bugs I have used with it, there was slight dot contact bounce which I cured, as usual, by stuffing a small amount of foam rubber into the "U" portion of the dot contact spring.

Since purchasing this key, I have reduced my stable of Vibroplexes from five to three, and the only other bug I now use much is my 1923 Blue Racer. This GHD is, in my opinion, a clear evolutionary step above the Vibroplex, however, if you have a Vibroplex double lever lying around which you aren't using...

K8XF Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2001 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Top Banana  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Only thru Morse Express had I heard of GHD Keys. I finally picked up the GH-GD347WS, optically relayed paddle a few months ago and was surprised by the high quality of workmanship, chrome, ease of handling, and weight. This key runs off of 12 vdc, and sending is smoother than super silk. There is no clicking clacking sound as with mechanical contact points. Effortless is the word. I can say no more!!!! I have a collection of many paddles, and from time to time I will change out a paddle for a few weeks. With this model it sat on my desk for over two months until it was time to hook-up another brother.....

Mike, K8XF
Viva CW

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2001 22:38 Send this review to a friend
GD347WS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the new GD347WS optical sensor squeeze paddle.
I have benchers, vibroplex, Schurr etc.
They all fit into one category.
This new paddle fits into a new category.
It is VELVETY SMOOTH!
I liked it so much, I even played around with
QSK for the first time. It really revived interest in CW for me. Oh, and by the way... It
is a flat-out beautiful looking key.
Check out Morse Express for others as well!
....Dave

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2001 23:45 Send this review to a friend
GH-GN305 Iambic Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was pointed to the GHD by Marshall of Morse-X when looking for a paddle for my 2nd operating position, a Drake 4-Line. A Schurr Profi 2 is used in the main rig setup. I purchased the GHD used, and am amazed at how nice this paddle is. Adjustment took a couple minutes -- it can be adjusted light and close, and still have a nice positive feel to it. Chrome plating is impeccable, and its nice heavy base keeps it in one spot on the table. An excellent paddle.

K0MU Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2000 22:46 Send this review to a friend
GHD105MKII  Time owned: unknown months
I received the GHD105MKII a few days ago and had several contacts. This key (bug) is FANTASTIC. It is smooth, no "side to side" or "up down" play. It keys my radio with a relay; you can hear the clicking softly while keying. The dual paddle design sorta allows semi-automatic iambic keying :-) " This is hard to explain though.

Strangley, the bug is almost too slow! I estimate the speed from 8-30 wpm. I think a heavier weight is available. 30 is about the max I go anyway so it's good enough for now.

The 105 very much out performs the Vibroplex but it costs twice as much.

I highly recommend this bug. I wonder if GHD is working on a fully automaic bug?

73 Jay Lyle K0MU

(I am in no way connected with GHD or any distributer; I am just happy with my purchase)

AC6YD Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 1999 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Morse was THE man, this is THE bug.  Time owned: unknown months
If you haven't got a GHD you don't know how good life can be. I'm using the GD205MK II optical sensor single paddle bug. When I first stumbled across the web site for these keys I knew they were special and I know I was right now that I own one. Ouiet, extremely easy to adjust, VERY light touch, and PERFECT strong dot's. No more fuzzy dot's, quivering hairpins, and incessant adjusting. With the purchase of the additional light weight, this bug will go slow enough for the beginner or fast enough for the very experienced. Beautiful to look at with meticulous workmanship. I can't get enough time with it to satisfy my love for using it.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 1999 15:20 Send this review to a friend
GHD GD305 Optical Sensor Dual Paddle  Time owned: unknown months
Fantastic feel to this key...and the machine
work is fabulous. I find myself wanting to
operate cw every time I sit down in front of
the radio now...hihi. It has a very light
touch and is very quiet; it's smooooooth.

73 John K7FD