Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | MFJ-462B Multi-Reader Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-462B Multi-Reader
MFJ-462B Multi-Reader Reviews: 21 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Reads CW, RTTY, ASCII, AMTOR FEC

You can write your own review of the MFJ-462B Multi-Reader.

KC0EKQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 18, 2017 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Odd duck  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a weird little box.

I've had my 462 reader since 1998, and for the first few months of trying off and on to get it to read ANYthing, I got very frustrated. I wanted to send it back but it was a gift from a relative fairly far away and it wasn't worth the hassle.

But I'm glad I waited.

Some time later, I found myself pulling the 462 out of a box of other radio goodies and decided to try it again.

After ten or fifteen minutes of reading the goofy instructions, I actually copied CW signals on 20m. It did work, and it was fun for a non-CW guy. I have since used it off and on for a change in SWLing fare.

I have yet to make it work for ANY of the other modes it claims to read (AMTOR, RTTY, etc.) and I honestly believe at this point that the claim is simply false.

As mentioned in other reviews, the instructions are fairly confusing and mostly useless given how tangled up the buttons/menu can be.

It's not worth $180, no way. I'd have been happy with a strictly CW reading box around $30 to $40 at most. The 462 is not at all worth paying retail.

But I have enjoyed it many times, so I can't honestly dismiss it or talk it down for the uses I have enjoyed. Your mileage will certainly vary... but if you can already read CW, you won't have the slightest need for this unit.

N7XLR Rating: 0/5 Sep 17, 2015 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought one of these cheap from an experienced ham who flat out told me he could not make it work. I decided to try it anyway. The menu is very confusing, and it is almost impossible to tell what you have it set on. The option and select buttons seem to change what they do while setting it up. I have connected this to perfect code recorded at 15 wpm, and all I get is jibberish. I can read 15 wpm better than this thing. I have no way of knowing whether it is set to CW or not. I have no interest in using a printer, and have no idea what RAM setup is. $35 down the drain, but I was told.

KD6NXI Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2014 10:31 Send this review to a friend
It actually works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You need to learn how to use it properly. Once you do it's pretty neat. If the sender has a sloppy fist, obviously it won't work. Also if there is loud bacon frying noise on the band then it's screwed. Otherwise if conditions are relatively quiet and the station sends well and is above the noise floor then it works very well. I've tried the software programs also but this is far easier to use. Initially I recommend setting the threshold control all the open. Tune the signal you want to copy until the right hand green light starts flashing to the dits and dahs not just flickering. If it's flickering non stop then there is too much noise. Adjustment of the threshold setting may help. Turn it counterclockwise until the green light goes off then bring it up just slightly above the point where the green light starts to flash again. It takes some practice but it really does work.

DXMAN Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2007 07:38 Send this review to a friend
CW Works very well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I using this item for cw decoding/other i no tested/.
no problem,but we have use! :

1.good hf rx /my rx is Icom r75 /
2.use cw filter / etc. 500 Hz /
3. for better decoding we use dsp filter /icom r75 have dsp filter/

and no problem!

Mirek from Czech republic ,Europe

N0FPE Rating: 1/5 Dec 9, 2006 17:30 Send this review to a friend
I wish I had passed on this  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one of these POS's a few years ago. Never could get it to work worth a darn. I give it a one because it held up the end of the table for a few months before I sold it.

KE7HTQ Rating: 1/5 Dec 9, 2006 16:57 Send this review to a friend
not worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few years ago I bought the 461, like others trying to improve my CW on real life qso.
It was totally useless. I tought the 462 would be better seeing the price difference and the features advertised.
Doesn't even work 90% on strong signal and needs a lot of adjustment. And on real life signal it doesn't work at all.
Other modes than CW don't work at all.

WEB01 Rating: 3/5 Jul 27, 2006 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Advertised with more hype than working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this for a year now. It does work and is a fun item to mess with. With the way it was advertised though, I thought it was going to open up a whole new owrld of those weird noises and do amazing things. Well...
It does do cw ok after a lot of fiddling about with adjustments and having the radio loud enough so you can hear it and decode to start with other than just hash. I find it decodes better when it's internal speaker is out and you set your radio 1st then dial it in. I have no idea why but it does. I have copied several cw qso's and you have to retune every few minutes or so for it to track the qso. I have yet to get it to work with any other mode though. I really have tried too. I won't give up though because if I ever get used to it, it can be a fun toy to use. It is very good as a practice tool as well.
I am going to figure out a way to get the display to light as I feel this was the biggest short coming to the unit.I am tired of holding it just right or using a flash light to read it.
It won't do weak signals very well at all. I have heard signals that I was sure it would decode but no dice. The internal volume of the speaker needs to be a bit louder too. It isn't all that bad though. If it was back lighted, and a little more easier to tune and in the $89. price range, it would be worth the fun. I bought mine used in mint shape from a frustrated person and now see why. I got a good deal so I will try to improve on it now. For the price, I would look into something else perhaps computer based. If you can find one used at a good amount then it would be a fun toy to mess with.
Rich, W2EBR

W2NSF Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2004 13:39 Send this review to a friend
It works.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this unit to improve my CW copy by listening to "real" QSOs. For my purposes, it works very well. I haven't tried it on anything else but CW, so I can't speak to the other data decodings. You have to spend a little time with the menus and the tuning, and once you do, the words come popping right out on the screen.

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2003 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Works very well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've operated the unit since I bought it new in 1995 and it's never failed me yet! It's quite good at decoding CW from noise and the 2-line display is great for those characters you may have missed. I like the "playback" feature, too!
I gave it a "4" and not a "5" simplay because the display is a bit small and it's not back-lit. Aside from that, it works well. Oh yes, the printer port is cool as well. (Note: I've only used it to decode CW. Not the other modes.)

WB8NUT Rating: 1/5 Jun 12, 2003 11:25 Send this review to a friend
The 462s are Junk!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried both the A and B models over the years and neither one is worth the money - no money at all - absolute junk. Both went back. If you want good software that can do CW decoding with great accuracy, get MixW - it does CW and more!