Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | MFJ-462B Multi-Reader Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-462B Multi-Reader
MFJ-462B Multi-Reader Reviews: 19 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Reads CW, RTTY, ASCII, AMTOR FEC

You can write your own review of the MFJ-462B Multi-Reader.

WV4I Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2002 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Used on CW only...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not used this unit on any mode but CW. At some point as, the target signal gets weaker relative to the noise, the quality of the sender's fist gets worse, the QRM gets worse, and/or other variables become less optimum, this unit will start to give it up. Computer generated, W1AW, and/or other high quality code produces the best, if not perfect, results, where the signal is at least even with the noise, and the code is at least properly spaced/formatted.

W8PCK Rating: 1/5 Feb 9, 2002 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't work as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this "thing" for at least two years and I have never gotten it to work with any consistency. I emailed MFJ and outlined the problems. I tried their sugestions and that didn't help either. It is either bad design or faulty equipment because it doesn't work as described in the manual or as stated in their email. I try it every so often just to assure myself that it is not me who doesn't work. I would love to get rid of it, but hate to stick someone else with a white elephant. I have other MFJ equipment that works as it is supposed to, but this is a lemon for sure.

N7VTS Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2001 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Depends on rcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tried 1st w/ Panasonic 2200.worked but hard to keep tuned. needed strong sig. Tried with Grundig YaughtBoy. No luck mostly. Then bought Yaesu FRG-100. Reader works great on cw . even most weak sigs.

WA2MGB Rating: 2/5 Nov 28, 2001 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Good but requires STRONG signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up the older 462, the one with the slanted face. Easy to setup, though finicky when reading CW. Yes, it does work...just plan to fiddle with your tuning to keep a "sensible" message on the screen. A good buy used......

AA9WG Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2001 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Better than Hamcom!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As shipped CW is indeed hopeless! However the instrument works well on other digital modes as is!

RE CW: construction of a simple (external) audio BP filter renders far better performance than any Hamcom implementation I've seen...

Inclusion of a full schematic with the user documentation was a nice touch!

However, IMO, an audiotape or CD should have been included for both test purposes and familiarization of the user with the characteristic sounds of the various modes!

All in all well worth the money!

With regards
Dan Q.

KC5RJV Rating: 1/5 Nov 18, 2001 22:13 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the $  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well MFJ "mighty fine junk" lives up to its name, the multi reader copys 599+ signals 10% of the time. most always just gibberish I have thought about sending it with that sorry arcing MFJ antenna tuner back to the big boss of the company and make him toss it in the dumpster, but 5 minutes of his time bothering with this equipment hardly makes up for the hundreds of hours I have spent trying to make it work as advertised..

K2PJT Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2001 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Works well under ideal conditions  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Since I was away from ham radio for several years I purchased the Multi-Reader to assist my getting back to reasonable CW speed. CW is the only function I have tried. It does work on CW but it is easily disturbed by noise, is a bit difficult to tune, and works best with S9 signals under quiet conditions and when the sender has a perfect fist. Nuances in sending cause erroneous results. Possibly the other functions would make it worth while but the CW funtion is of limited use.

K3IVB Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2001 11:17 Send this review to a friend
NO PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the original one (462) with the black box and slanted face "which I prefer over the newer version". Bought it early 94, even had to wait on it as they were back ordered being they were just new back then. It receives even more modes than the newer version does. This little unit has never failed me and has been in use the entire time using all the modes. My unit still looks and preforms like brand new.

AD6WL Rating: 0/5 Aug 11, 2001 00:15 Send this review to a friend
MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dosn't work. Don't know if it is the usual defective MFJ gear or if the unit cannot read CW.
I've had to fix most of the MFJ products that I get. Usually bad solder joints. This one dosn't read anything.