Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R300 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R300
Kenwood R300 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $239.99
Description: 1970s analog general coverage receiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R300.

FPX77 Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2009 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just have bought a nice R300 at 83 Euros (107 dollars).It is very sensitive,only slightly below my FRG7.Sensitivity is great on MW and LW.A warm up is necessary to listen to SSB.The annoyance is the audio distorded on strong signals.It is an AGC problem.I have found a great improvment in soldering a 300pf capacitor in parallel of C9 (33pf) on the IF printed board,also you can replace 0.47MFD by non polarised on the AF board.Construction is above the average with printed board on connectors as in professionnals receivers,maintenance is easy.
In all an interesting receiver.73.Olivier.

KA2SHU Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2009 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Very MW Sensitive Receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Kenwood R-300 receiver is a beautifully built receiver. Given the time period it was produced, it represented excellent value for its selling price. It is a very serviceable receiver since many of its circuit boards can easily be removed. This is one of the few receivers I know of that is NOT deliberately desensitized on the MW band! All of you MW DX'ers take note. This radio is a "dog that can hunt" on MW and even on LW!

Here is the good:
1) Fantastic sensitivity on MW and LW. Very good on the other bands.
2) Very low power consumption if used with 12 volts external source or internal batteries.
3) Has beautifully lit tuning drum dials that are reasonably accurate when keyed with the crystal calibrator as well as a nice looking well lit S-meter
4) Antenna Trim control is very effective
5) Excellent overall construction, both tuning controls are flywheel weighted for smooth tuning feel.

The not so good:
While the note of the BFO is clean and SSB signals can be nicely heard, the radio lacks stability during the first 30-40 minutes of operation. If you plan on listening to SSB signals, it's best to let it settle down before you attempt to walk away from it.

The Ugly:
This is why I did not rate the radio a "5". The audio from the radio's A.M. detector stage is dreadful. Fortunately it can be improved with judicious adjustment of the RF gain control. The AGC circuit may be to blame here since a +10db or greater signal will be recovered with significant distortion. With a decent outboard front firing speaker, the radio's audio can be brought into the acceptable range.

W5EI Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a newly licensed ham back in 1977, I bought a new R300 for general coverage reception. The Yaesu FT101E I had at the time was ham-band only, so the Kenwood seemed like a good companion for it. One thing I did not like about the R300 was the heavy use of plastic on the front panel. It gave the radio a cheap feel and look. My set also tended to drift significantly in SSB and CW modes.

Sensitivity was quite good, however. I agree with the other comments that a good outboard audio or DSP filter is a must unless one is interested in AM only reception. SW broadcast stations were what I usually listened to with the set, so overall, my experience with it was pretty good. I sold it a few years ago at a hamfest. In my opinion, it ranks as a good backup SWL receiver.

JUDAH_SMITH Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2003 12:25 Send this review to a friend
KENWOOD TRIO R-300 a great SW radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this radio. It is very sensitive. In fact in sensitivity I have to compare it to my FRG-7. It's a close second place to that excellent radio. I can't say it is more sensitive...but it certainly holds its own. Selectivity is quite good. Although the narrow filter could be a little better. Audio is a little bit tinny. But their is a "SOFT" option that makes it sound more pleasing. And it certainly sounds as good as any portable SW I have owned. The sound is comparable to a YB-400 by grundig. Perhaps just a little more tinny. But I'm being fussy. It is still quite good. I just can't say it sounds as good as my FRG-7. But is is very nice. Alot of options. The antenna trimmer is great if you using a random wire antenna. The radio looks beautiful and is solidly build. I love the looks. I am surprised this radio was not more popular....but maybe it came out at a time when digital radios were becoming the rage. If you buy one definitely find a manual. So you can learn how to use the bandspread option. It takes a little time to figure it out....but once you do it is easy. And the readout (although analog) is very very acurate. It has a built in MARKER button so you an align the radio for near perfect freq. readings all the time. I can't say enough good things about this radio. It blows away a newer 100-150 dollar portable in my opinion. If your looking for a nice table top set, that will look cool enough for you wife/gf to not want to hid in the closest this is the one. I live in a poor reception zone (SOUTHWESTERN USA) were SW stations are hard to get, and this baby with a 100 ft. wire brings them all in. It is better looking that and FRG-7, built just as solid..., sensitivity is not quite is good, but a close second, selectivity could be a little better but not terrible. Audio is good, but takes second place to my FRG-7...and is equal to my Grundig YB-400. If you want a sensitive radio, but can't afford a Yseasu FRG-7....find a nice KENWOOD TRIO R-300. It a great analog table top for the price. With lots of options, and a great look.