Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Oak Hills Research WM-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research WM-2
Oak Hills Research WM-2 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: QRP wattmeter: 300kHz to 54 MHz in 10W, 1W, and 100mW scales
More info: http://www.ohr.com/wattmeter.htm

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research WM-2.

KD2UJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2013 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Well designed, professional looking wattmeter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've come to expect great value from Marshall N1FN's stuff and this kit does not disappoint. The instructions are exceptionally clear and detailed. Calibration was a snap, done by measuring a few values with a digital voltmeter only and tweaking a few potentiometers. The finished kit looks like a professional instrument.

I don't have any sophisticated way to test wattmeters. I hooked it up to the HB-1B and when I expected 5 watts, it indicated 5 watts. Next I put a ZM-2 ATU between the meter and the antenna. At the exact moment that the ZM-2 indicated lowest SWR, the OM-2 displayed zero reflected power on the 1 watt range.

To summarize: Easy to build kit, well documented, functional unit to add to your QRP station.

K4YAB Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2010 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Multi Range  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My kit had the wrong Toroid cores in it. There was some difficulty getting the new toroids in a timely manner. (Lost in Mail)?
I now have it built and aligned with no problem.
It is an excellant built QRP Wattmeter. I like the multi Range it has.
Very good looking Wattmeter also.

IW3FZQ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Well done, OAK !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have 2 Daiwa meters and one Bird 43 but WM-2 is very funny to use! I've built it in some hours, if you read the included manual it is impossible to mistake or obtain bad behavior. It has a good quality meter while all components are medium quality. Very low consumption, it works with 5 Volts too!!! I haven't found cigarettes ash inside like many HAMs !! It works until 70 MHz. After alignment, I compared it to my Bird 43 with a very minimum difference on HF and without difference between 28 and 70 MHz. OAK, well done! 73 de Enrico, IW3FZQ

W8YT Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2008 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Great meter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a high quality kit that is an easy one-day build. The instructions are excellent, and alignment was straight-forward with a digital voltmeter. When you finish, you have a great looking professional instrument that you can be proud of and a very useful QRP wattmeter for the bench or inline with your rig. Definitely worth the money.

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own and built one. The only problem I had was in final alignment and Marshall was a great help over the phone and, as always, very patient. It was my problem. It is now spot on. He stands firmly behind his products.

de Dick, K8RBW

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2007 07:59 Send this review to a friend
I Own 2, I Like Them So Much!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I own 2 of them! I use one on my bench where I build and experiment with QRP stuff and use it for critical measurements. I also have one at the operating position to accurately measure my QRP output. It is accurate! I used a recently calibrated meter at the TV station I just retired from to check the accuracy. It was dead on! I had no trouble regarding pictures when I built them, provided you read and follow the instructions! For the price, you can't go wrong!

W7GO Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2007 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Pictures on website  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, I own one, built it and it works great. There are pictures on the web at this site:

KSAVES2 Rating: 2/5 Sep 4, 2007 21:33 Send this review to a friend
O.K. but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm going to slam this kit and based on my "slamming" the next builder won't have this problem.
There is absolutely no reason for a kit maker to
NOT have a photo of a completed board either in the instructions or on the web. If one was available, I would not have accidentally soldered the braids of the RG58 "through-the-toroid" assemblies into the mounting holes for the board to go in the case. I put one braid in the hole marked braids and the other in the unmarked hole but in the same trace as the braids. My braid leads were a bit short. I cut the cables as exactly in the instructions. I mean measure twice
and then measure twice after the cut(s)
Well yeah, I can desolder out of the mounting holes and run a bridge to cross to the one hole
marked "braid" but there is no frick'in excuse for
the instructions for being so unclear in this point. "Put BOTH FRICK'IN BRAID LEADS" into the holes marked "braids" or bridge the danged things.
Again, if there was a picture of the component side of the board, either in the instructions or
on the web, this mistake would have been averted and would have been ranting about how great this kit is.
Oh wait. It's not up and running yet. Oh well,
once done, I'll probably post again.

AD7AN Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2007 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Joy to build and use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've built many kits with various degrees of satifaction. This is top notch! The coolness factor of being able to read output on single transistors, and finally knowing exactly how much power I get out of my Rockmite is wonderful. This accessory is going to inspire more QRP project building in my shack. I keep it in line to adjust the power output of my Argo V. My previous 5 watts measured on my other SWR meter ended up being more like 7. The accuracy is much appreciated. Professional job on this kit.

KB1NSB Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 18:03 Send this review to a friend
NICE QUALITY INSTRUMENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This kit was an absolute joy to build. Every part fit perfectly, and every hole lined up great. The instuctions were also top notch. This meter works flawlessly, and I leave mine right in line so I can monitor the antenna system at any time. Goes great with thier OHR 100A rig. Nice job Oak Hill Research!