Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony XR-CA620X - FM / MW (AM) / SW head unit Help

Reviews Summary for Sony XR-CA620X - FM / MW (AM) / SW head unit
Sony XR-CA620X  -  FM / MW (AM) / SW head unit Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $162
Description: A head unit (car stereo) that receives shortwave!

SW1 : 1095 Mhz upto 7735 MHz,SW2 : 9500 Mhz upto 18130 MHz,FM : 87.5 Mhz upto 108 MHz,MW : 531 Mhz upto 1305 MHz MD/CD Changer Controller,FM/MW/SW Cassette stereo,Output power 50W x 4 ,D-bass Cross key operation,SSIR-EXA digital synthesizer tuner,18FM/6MW/12SW presets,Frequency step switch,CD Text/repeat/schuffle,Track title scroll,Wireless card remote,Flip Down panel,Detachable Front panel,Red key illumniation,Telephone attenuator,My best sound position,7 band equalizer.

This radio is not available from any American retailer, as far as I know. It IS available at www.jackys.com (a great electronics retailer in the UAE) currently (as of Aug. 14, 2001) for $126.90 + S&H.
More info: http://www.sony.com

You can write your own review of the Sony XR-CA620X - FM / MW (AM) / SW head unit.

K4QET Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2014 05:09 Send this review to a friend
New Pioneer Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On ebay from Israel there is a currently available similar radio as of April 2014: Pioneer DEH-X2650UI.

I have ordered one but not received it yet, will report asap.

Mike

KD5ZLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2006 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, really good with the 10 disk mp3 changer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, I have the XR-CA640, but they are pretty much the same radio. I hooked the 10 disk MP3 changer to mine, and I have never had such a good all around system. For a SW that goes in your car, I can't complain at all. I listen to many different stations all the time. Also, the FM tuner is the best I have ever had. I get more stations on all the bands than have ever had in a head unit in a car. I could not be more happy with mine. I also have the remote which I have found handy on long trips. I never get tired of listening to the radio cause I have so many options. I would highly recommend this setup for any one who enjoys listening to SW. I don't think they sell the 620 or 640 anymore but they do have the XRF5100 which the the same, just their new model. If anyone wants to know where to get one, let me know, I think I have a link somewhere. I really don't have any bad things to say with the radio.

WA9GAR Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2004 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Car Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The XR-CA620X is a quantum leap in performance over the Becker original equipment radio supplied with the Daimler-Chrysler (Freightliner) Sprinter truck.
I agree with another posted review that a 5 kHz. filter would be desirable, especially on the 49 meter SW band. Otherwise, I cannot understand why this receiver is NOT sold in the USA. Some deal with the State (Snake) Dept.???? I would recommend this unit highly!

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2001 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Check out XR-4900 w/ shortwave.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Also check out the Sony XR-4900. Appears to have CD with 12 SW pre-sets. May be available in Canada.
Yahoo/Google: "XR-4900"

WB2SRF Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2001 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good SW RF sensitivity measured on my bench at under 1 microvolt. It would have been nice if the unit had a deep notch filter at 5 KHz to cut down on some adjacent channel heterodyne. The Custom setting of the equalizer helps somewhat. I was pleased that the unit interfaced with my Sony (1997 model)EXCD-3RF CD changer. It plugs directly into the Unibus and RCA Bus inputs. Now I do not use the RF modulator. With my original car radio the CD played through the original FM car radio.

KD5OMZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2001 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Innacurate specs above  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The specs above list the frequencies for SW and MW in MHz, but they should be in kHz (only for SW and MW; FM is in MHz).

KD5OMZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2001 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great reception even with car factory antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This receiver is one of the only car stereos in the world that can receive shortwave, and is certainly one of the most inexpensive!

I do not own this one myself (though I intend to get one!), but I have heard some wonderful things about it from people who have bought it.

This model has a built-in casette player, and you can connect an external CD or MD changer which can be controlled by the head unit. Truly a great concept; it is unfortunate that no American retailers sell this. I'm sure it would be a big hit, at least in the ham community.