Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | AEA PK-88 Help

Reviews Summary for AEA PK-88
AEA PK-88 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Packet Controller

You can write your own review of the AEA PK-88.

G4IRX Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2012 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Solidly built and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two PK88's.

Whilst it isn't a TNC-2 clone, which limits what alternative firmware can be installed, it is still a useful TNC and quite solidly built and the AM7910 modem can be configured to run 1200 baud 1khz shift or 300baud 200Hz shift. It had a built-in mailbox and will digipeat. It does lack a software DCD but it is possible to interface a TAPR State-Machine if you need that feature.

It can be used in AEA Host mode with the XPware XPcom software (now free), or you can swap this for TheFirmware 2.7 for multi-channel WA8DED-compatible host mode (10 streams in Winpack anyone?). Or just use it in command mode with Hyperterminal or YAPP.

The one I have presently still performs well on 1200baud packet and the internal Lithium battery still checks out at 3.0 volts! I Replaced the EPROM with a 27C512 that has both AEA firmware and TF27-PK88, adding a 10k resistor between pin 28 and pin 1 of the EPROM (IC15) under the PCB allows me to change firmware quicky by switching pin 1 to ground, clearing the BB-RAM and resetting.

I've given it 4 simple because of the lack of software-DCD and the fact that AEA used a different radio connector on this (8-pin mic plug) to the PK900 which uses 5-pin DIN and the PK232 that uses a MOLEX!

My firmware is dated 23-AUG-91 (does anyone know if there was a later version?). This added some maildrop improvements, I have a PDF of the new manual
pages that I haven't found on the 'net.

KA9QWC Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2008 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Seems like a heavy duty TNC initially worked used out of box.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This TNC worked first time out of the box and
it was purchased at a hamfest years ago. But I
stored it all these years and just opened up
the box 2 days ago.

Reason for not using it much back then was
because I had Kantronics KAM & KPC-3 units.
I think my old KAM is acting up but did get
the KPC-3 working this weekend.

I am wondering about the battery referred to
in the PK-88 - took the cover off but did not
notice any then read the post again it is
probably a mini type battery.

Wonder what programs & connections hams are
using currently with this TNC? Also think I
recall this one will also work with HF too?

Any thoughts our emails on this TNC would be
appreciated. Thanks ka9qwc@arrl.net

K8OCN Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2006 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Just A Great TNC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine new years ago (at least 10) I have been not very active in radio for a few years.
I finally have the Kids moved out and have a enough room for the shack I always wanted. I went into the pole barn, found it in a box changed the batteries, changed the mike plug and I was back on Packet.

When I first purchased this TNC I used it in a tool box set up that I set up for portable quick 2 meter packet station. So it got bounced around and has lots of scratches and dents but it still works great. I wish everything lasted as long as the PK-88

SM0RWO Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2003 16:15 Send this review to a friend
A good TNC  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first TNC and I've still got it. I bought this unit in 1988 and I havent changed a thing on it, still works fine. It may need an alignment once in a while but apart from that I don't worry about it. Watch out for the batteries inside, they are standard R6/AA cells and when left for a few years they may leak. I tried upgrading the firmware a few years ago but the clock started going at double speed so I'm back with the original eproms. AEA really designed some quality stuff, 15 years of troublefree service really is something.

N7UQA Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2001 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice controller  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this controller for some time now and this little thing has performed just great. The unit is solidly constructed low profile and easy to operate. No special software is needed, you can use any terminal software such as hyperterminal in Windows. I have used it mainly for DX spotting and it seems to decode packets even with fair ammounts of multipath. If you're looking for a low cost way to get into packet radio you probally won't go wrong with this little unit.