Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 3K Premier 8877 Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 3K Premier 8877
Henry 3K Premier 8877 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $3695
Description: Legal limit, 160 through 10 meters console amplifier using the 8877 triode.
More info: http://www.radiodan.com

You can write your own review of the Henry 3K Premier 8877.

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Thank to Mr. Henry and Laura the Amp Lady  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think it has all been said... I bought my 3K Premier used from the classified ads on eham and Qrz from the original owner, the amp was "DEAD on arrival" unable to find the factory parts to repair her, Mr. Henry referred me to Laura the "Amp Lady" down in FL. A week latter Laura returned my RF section "ready to go" I love this amplifier, very easy to work on. They really don't build them like this anymore and that is too bad. This one is a dream, she came with the Super Heavy Duty power supply package released in 04'

Terrific linear, built to run.Very easy to operate, she is smooth as glass while cranking out the power. It is hard to believe this amp runs well over "full legal limit" (into a dummy load) without breaking a sweat, Reliable and rugged says it all...

Other than a little fan noise and parts becoming scarce, I can't think of anything negative to say about this amplifier.

I can't say enough about Ted Henry and the staff at Henry Radio. They stand behind their products year after year.

KA4P Rating: 3/5 Aug 23, 2001 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Cons:

I had to wait 6 months to get this amp. I was originally promised the amp in 5 weeks. To this day I am still not sure of the reason for the delay. However, they did ship me the amp free as a consolation for the late arrival.

There is no manual for this amp. What they sent me was a manual for a 3KD Premier 8877 (desktop) and also a manual for a 3002A VHF console amp. Someone at Henry needs to sit down and compile a manual for this particular amp.

Henry Radio does not respond to their emails. (Radiodan, their distributor, does however.)

The amp is very inefficient on 160 meters. Drawing a full amp of plate current in the high power position (about 3800 volts on the plate), I can only get out about 1200watts into my inverted V with SWR of 1.3 to 1. It does a little better into my dummy load, where it gets out about 1600 watts. Dennis at Henry Radio said the 160 meter coils may need adjustment, and suggested I send the RF section back to Henry for look. I have not done this yet but I intend to do so before winter. On the plus side, they were very friendly and helpful when I called them on the phone.

The blower is noisy. The thing sounds like a small air conditioner. I don't really mind though. I feel good to know that all that air is rushing through the fins of the 8877.

Pros:

The thing is built like a tank. It is big, heavy, and powerful. The power supply components are massive.

I find it easy to tune. I got a spinner knob for tuning the roller inductor. In the high power position I find that I am drawing little grid current at legal power and have to advance the load control little if any. In low power position, increasing the load to dip the grid current is necessary. I find the tube seems more efficient in the low power position (3000 plate volts) and tend to keep it there.

It produces legal power (except on 160) with little effort. I run continuous duty SSTV. At 1500 watts key down I can still keep my hand over the blower exhaust. It just gets warm. Some amps get hot enough to fry an egg. I have managed to get 2800 watts out of the thing into a dummy load. It could have done a little more, but I was afraid to go farther.

I wanted an amp that would take legal limit continuous duty operation without breaking a sweat. This amp certainly fits the bill here.

General: In spite of the cons I mentioned above, I would buy another Henry. It is too bad that nobody but Henry and Ameritron make an amp with the 8877 tube. I love it! I know there several out there that use the Russian 4cx1600B in grid driven design, but I prefer the grounded grid arrangement.