Reviews Categories | Transverters | Ten-Tec 6 & 2 meter Xverters Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 6 & 2 meter Xverters
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: 6m & 2m Transverters
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 6 & 2 meter Xverters.

KI6LO Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2006 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Model 1209 is Great !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After waiting a long time to find a decent deal on a 6M module for my FT-726R, I decided to go with an outboard transverer. I chose the TenTec 1209 6 to 2 xvtr. It seemed like a good unit and had good reviews.

The 1209 is very simple to construct and easy to align. There is a couple of touchy points in the construction so pay very close attention to the details before cutting and soldering, especially the RX mixer. The GasFET is very small and fragile. It can be dorked up even without trying.

I built the 1209 kit in about 8 hours of assembly and another 1 or so for tuning and final packaging. While constructing the unit I added a antenna switch mod to the basic design. Since the 1209 was going on a non-dedicated 2M rig, I needed to be able to switch the 2M rig's output between the 2M antenna and the 1209's input. Since I didn't want to take a chance of forgetting to switch the output, I added a RCA socket onto the rear apron just beside the 2M input SO-239 and then ran an additional line from the spare side of the power switch to the RCA, thereby supplying 12V to a Dow-Key 12V coaxial relay switch. When the 1209 is powered on, the Dow-Key switches to the 6M antenna, otherwise the 2M antenna is connected to the 2M rig.

My 1209's output is fed into a TE Systems 170W 6M brick and out to a Cushcraft A50-5S 5 el yagi at 40'. Recieve sensitivity is adequate, and transmit signal is clean on the scope. I have not looked at it with a spectrum analyzer yet.

In the few band openings I have managed to work since setting this up late in 2005, I've worked 25 grids as far as Florida and Missouri with good reports, avg about 58 and a couple 40+S9. I'm in So California DM15.

If you are interested in getting up on 6M inexpensively, I highly recommend you take a look at the 1209.

Gene KI6LO

KJ4DX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2005 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the 20m-6m version for several years now, and it has never missed a beat. I have it connected to a 160W amp and out to a beam. Everything that makes my Omni V such a listener applies equally thru the transverter. This one I keep.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2004 03:30 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get on 6!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the Ten Tec 2m to 6m transverter awhile back. I believe it is the 1209. Worked great with my FT736R, and freed up the 6 meter module spot so I could add the 1.2G module. Wish I would have kept the 736, but oh well.

Anyway, the transverter did a great job at very low cost. For less than $100 today you can add 6 meters to any 2 meter rig. I did find out that the transverter didn't work near as well after I ran 25 watts through it a few times. I wish that Ten Tec would find a way to build in an atennuator into it so it would handle 25 watts or so, since there are many 2 meter rigs out there at that power level.

If you have 2 meters and want to get on 6, this is the way, just remember to turn your power down.

W1ZOO Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2003 16:09 Send this review to a friend
NICE WAY TO 6 AND 2 !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the six and two meter TEN-TEC xvtrs. They work like a charm. I use the two meter xvtr with a Kenwood TS-570 and a Mirage 310G amp. One hundred watts of great signal on two meters, with no problems.

KB2VUQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2001 15:03 Send this review to a friend
1208 Great 6 meter bargain...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ten-Tec 1208 6 meter transverter
is a great way to get on 6 meters
cheaply, but enjoyably.

With 5 watts in (from a Yaesu FT-707)
on 14 mhz (20 meters) you'll get 8-10
watts output on 6 meters.

I "only" use an M2 (M Squared) 6 meter
Ho-loop @ 35 feet. Have contacts in
over a hundred grids and several countries.
I put some 6 meter QSL's up on my
website. Keep in mind...The return
speed of 6 meters is fairly slow.
I have had many more QSO's than
the QSL's indicate.

<http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/kb2vuq/cards.html>

I've owned one for less than 2 years,
but it's a winner!

Best 73,
Dennis

ZP5YW Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2001 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought a factory assembled 20m to 6m version of the transverter, to be used with a Yaesu FT-1000D as a temporary replacement for a 6m only transceiver, damaged on a thunderstorm. After using it for some time, I decided I won't replace it with anything else. It let's me exploit the full capabilities of the FT-1000D just as if it had 6m, and even at 8 watts out, it's a super piece of equipment considering its price. I help mine with a Mirage A-1015G, 150W amplifier, which it drives very well. Believe, this is the best way to get on 6m with older rigs, and works great. See you on SIX.

PE1HZG Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2000 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Definitely recommend 1209  Time owned: unknown months
I have built the 1209 some time ago and am very impressed, with the kit, the quality of the design (balanced power amplifier!), and it's actual use.
Construction was very simple and, I must confess, addictive. I had to tame the receiver converter a bit (it had too much gain) but other than that have made no modifications - I usually make more on kits I build.
Also, ten-tec was very helpful when trying to get a replacement core: the (metric) adjustment set didn't fit completely with the (inches) coils and hence I broke a core (emberassment!) but ten-tec quickly sent me a replacement free of charge (overseas - I live in the Netherlands).
A definite yesssss

K4TB Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 1999 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Ten-Tec Model 1209 Two Meter to Six Meter Transver  Time owned: unknown months
The kit was fun to build and the construction procedure was well organized. The operational tests at different steps during the construction assured the transverter worked the first time I turned it on, and gave me the satisfaction that I was making progress. There were a few rough spots in construction such as installing the final transistors and winding the baluns, and a few typographical errors. However, I had the kit 4 years before I built it so instructions may be better now. On the air, the transverter is truly transparent; you feel you are using a 6 meter transceiver with all the receive sensitivity and good transmit audio quality you would expect with a stand-alone rig. A good way to get on 6 meters.

K0CBA Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 1999 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get on 6 or 2 (all mode) with your HF  Time owned: unknown months
The Ten-Tec 6 & 2 mtr. Xverters, sold as kits or assembled, are one of the best buys in ham radio for someone wanting to get on these popular bands. The 6 mtr xverter uses the 20 mtr. band of your HF rig as an IF. It's rock solid and lets you take advantage of all the modes and bells and whistles your HF rig has. It covers 50 to 52 Mhz.
The 2 meter xverter. does the same good job using 10 meters as the IF. Unfortunately, it is not as stable as the 6 mtr. unit, but by adding a 12 vdc. light bulb next to the Xtal. and trim cap. as an oven, and a piece of foam rubber over them, it becomes quite stable after a 5 or 6 minute warm up.
As most HF rigs stop at 30 Mhz., you will only be able to cover up to 145.999 Mhz. but again, all the modes and refinements of the HF Xcvr. are yours on 2 meters.

With 8 and 10 watts out, respectively, you will have enought 'steam' to work the local gang, get in on 6 meter openings or add a "brick" and really reach out. (150 miles is not uncommon with a brick and a modest gain beam on 2).