Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC
West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: Small and inexpensive, perfect for portable or temporary setups. Switch radios by ordering an extra matching mic. cable. Use PTT keying circuit as a fully isolated CW/FSK keying output for direct keying of your rig's CW or FSK instead of using it for a sound card interface. No external power supply needed, great for portable or QRP installations.

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2016 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple and "cheap" the Nomic interface does exactly as advertised.

West Mountain ships a bunch of different cables with the Nomic so you should be able to match most any radio to any computer.

Speaking of cables, I did have a problem with the USB to Nomic, it wasn't keying PTT. However, the RS232c cable interface worked fine.

The USB-to-serial cable installed just fine in Windows 7, but it would not PTT the ICOM 746pro.

After a couple of emails to West Mountain, they decided to replace the USB-to-serial cable at no charge to me and it fixed the problem!!

There supplied cables are well built, not the cheapo Chinese junk.

Now I'm using USB to interface to the West Mountain Nomic and everything working as it should.

Excellent company to work with......thanks again West Mountain.

Cheers All!
N7KOB Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great device, great customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had posted a review earlier because of a defective rigblaster nomic I received. The USB/Comm-Port cable didn't work.

I called West Mountain Radio and explained the problem. I took one phone call, with no other followup required from me on my end. The new cable showed up a few days later, and I was off and running.

The Rigblaster NOMIC works exactly as described, and is a great little device. I use it daily with jt65 and psk31, and havent' and any further problems with it.

Kudos to WMR Customer Service, they stand behind their product.
NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2013 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Meets my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Item arrived well packaged from West Mountain Radio. Setup was a piece of cake. From package opening to enjoying my 1st BPSK-31 QSO took 30 minutes. Prior to receiving the interface, I had installed WINPSK, DIGIPAN and MMTTY on my laptop. The interface is not required to receive. It's for transmit only. That gave me a few days to play with the software, which was a great help when it came time to hook the interface up. My 1st QSO was with a local ham so I was able to get a good signal analysis. I only had to do some minor sound card level tweeking.
My only negative comment would be the lack of a microphone jack on the RIGBLASTER NOMIC (NO MIKE). This probably helped keep the cost down, which is a reason I went for this model to begin with.
K0VH Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Got for HRD Remote control but works great for normal digimode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this rigblaster NOMIC as a Christmas present mainly since I'd run into a brick wall trying to use Ham Radio Deluxe for remote rig control in voice mode (eg, using HRD on my laptop while vacationing down south to control my MN based IC746). The optoisolator in the audio completely cured my clipped/distorted audio and was the final fix I needed for successful remote operations last month! BTW, it also makes for an easy way to use the rig for psk31 and other digimodes as well....I have played with these for over 10 years using simple voltage divider and vox interfaces, but this is much more plugNplay vs spending precious time debugging PC audio settings every time things changed.

I have not used software provided on the CD other than the device drivers, since I generally use HRD digimaster software. I also own a IC703 and plan to try that with the NOMIC and simpler digisoftware doing some picnic table operations when it warms up this summer.

Only minor critique: sometimes the NOMIC manual leaves one hanging a bit, does not get into details.
NK8A Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2012 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Works well--low price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this Nomic for a short time ,but I can say it was easy to set up and works very well for my needs.It took care of my PTT problem.The price I thought was very reasonable.
LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
it just works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had one for nearly five years and have used it with a number of rigs (Yaesu 817/57/97 and SGC SG-2020)

i like the NOMIC because it does not require a separate power supply

instructions are very straightforward

construction is robust; fit and finish of the case is sturdy, but i don't like the screws used to hold the box together

the jumper pin system inside makes this unit very flexible

i would like to see a USB upgrade, but i have used this interface with a number of USB serial adapters under Linux and OS X without problems

definitely recommend cocoamodem/cocoaptt under OS X
KK5R Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's supposed to do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the Nomic from an advertisement here on eHam. Reason the guy sold it apparently was because he did not use it enough to justify keeping it because it was in mint/as new condition and it makes me wonder if it was ever used.

I use CWGet and CWType and have used them before. I got it to work on CW with direct connections from earphone output to computer mike input and the computer speaker output to the mike with acoustical coupling and setting my rig (450AT) for VOX. However, with the Nomic I do not have to use the acoustical coupling.

I dabbled with RTTY after setting it up but see that while it tries to work, I need to get more into the setup to make it work.

The provided software on the program CD is a great collection. However, I had to download the CWGet and CWType from the program CD to get the right drivers. I now have two sets but the one I'm using with the Nomic was downloaded into a separate/default folder so the two CW programs do not interfere with each other. Later, I will delete the one I'm not using...

The CWType works fine but could not get CWType to key the radio directly. I had to do what the manual recommends, and what I did previously, and this was to use the provided mike cable that replaces the standard mike plug and use VOX on Upper Sideband and not in CW mode on the radio. With VOX, there were a couple of static pulses that keyed the radio unexpectedly but there was no detectable modulation so no problem. I will make a conscious effort to remember to take the radio out of VOX mode when not operating it in CW to avoid having it key up unknowingly but this is standard practice, anyway. No need to broadcast Fox News by leaving it in VOX with the mike connected. I'm sure the OO's would not be amused.

I'm satisfied with the range of cables provided. I can use the system on both my 450AT and my FT-757GXII by merely changing from one provided mike cable to another (and setting the mike line connector pins inside the Nomic). However, the 757 is dedicated to mobile use and the Nomic is dedicated for use at home in my case so the 757 cable is nice to have but may never be used.

The manual is identical to the downloadable one on the West Mountain Radio website. I recommend going through the step-by-step process given in the manual for mike pin placement and other setup/installation processes. I also used the centerfold pictorial diagram which eliminates the possibility of Audio In and Audio Out confusion. Take it slow and easy and it works! Also, I avoided plugging in the USB computer connector until all desired software was installed and this guaranteed that the proper drivers were in the system before plugging it all up. This was also a suggestion in the manual. Again, following the directions seems to solve some of the problems others seem to have had with the Nomic. Some problems appear to be anticipated in the manual simply because the steps for setting up the system were not followed.

I only used the Nomic for CW and a single attempt at RTTY but I suspect that I need to know more about what standards are used in RTTY before blaming the Nomic. Seeing it work with VOX to key the radio in CW indicates that the tone/s is/are there but maybe I need to switch sidebands or set the two freqs first. Therefore, I will not point the ugly finger at the Nomic.

I actually anticipated more problems with the Nomic but found that there were none. I only had to plug in the cables in the correct jacks and slowly adjust the BFO tone by tuning the main tuning knob to make it work properly. The CW bandwidth is very tight and after a few minutes of practice, the correct tone is found. Also, the visible, running threshold on CWGet shows when the received tone is found. Very weak CW signals could be problematic depending on the S/N ratio of the antenna system, etc. Turning up the received audio is key to this and, also, using the computer's audio level control to reduce the external speaker volume to a comfortable listening level is a one-time setting.

With the 450AT, the radio must be in Upper Sideband mode and not CW mode for the VOX system to work but because the signal can be tightened up some in the radio, this is not a problem. The Nomic/Computer system with CWGet is also tight as long as there are not two strong signals right next to each other. The signal you want to copy is singled out by the system. When using Upper Sideband and VOX for CW by transmitting a CW tone through the mike circuit may also require using the Clarifier or RIT control to single out a specific signal and avoid tuning the transmitted signal around and wandering or chasing your contact around the band.

More later when more is learned about the Nomic. I'm satisfied with the Nomic and while I could have set up "something" as before and not bought the Nomic, I do not regret getting it since it has eliminated some haywire in my cabling. I can see that it will become a permanent part of my station.
KC9IXO Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2011 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Flexible for any mode of keying  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This simple device is so easy to modify for computer generated CW and RTTY keying. It's also good for PTT keying but anyone can do that...

For CW keying:

Make a 1/4" to RJ45 cable that connects the Nomic to the CW jack. Connect the white jumpers to the pins that you selected for the 1/4" plug. Select straight key keying on your rig. Polarity is critical.

I use CWType for sending, which is included on the CD.

For RTTY keying:

Do the same as above except with the appropriate plug on your RTTY jack.

The Nomic is a great value for what is included; a USB-Serial Port adapter, loads of cables, and a large collection of software to choose from.

Also, this is a great learning tool for those beginning to design circuits with opto-isolators.

73 KM9O (KC9IXO)

VE3QJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2011 06:04 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the nomic, hooked it up according to instructions and nothing works.
It was a waste of $50.00!
WZ3O Rating: 3/5 Apr 2, 2010 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Effective but too complex..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a NoMic, needed something to play with...HiHi...
Hooked up to FT-897D and woks well, however the fact remains you need to set jumpers inside for each rig & of course can't use with Mic attached to rig...Hence the name NoMic.... Does what it says but prefer my Donner Digital for simplicity & flexibility...