Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC
West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: Small and inexpensive, perfect for portable or temporary setups. Switch radios by ordering an extra matching mic. cable. Use PTT keying circuit as a fully isolated CW/FSK keying output for direct keying of your rig's CW or FSK instead of using it for a sound card interface. No external power supply needed, great for portable or QRP installations.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGblaster.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Rigblaster NOMIC.

KF4HPY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece of gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Nomic is a simple unit; I have 2 of them. One is set to hook up in a couple of minutes. I have it jumpered for the 8-pin ICOM-718. To identify each unit as to which radio it fits; I use a square of colared tape on the radio and the Nomic. The IC-718 is ID'ed in Green. The other Nomic is ID'ed in Red for my ICOM-706MkIIG. I bought the second Nomic at the Dayton H'fest from WMR on a special (no cables) for $40. I used the modular cable of the first unit on the 706 and Radioshack had the other 2 double-ended stereo cables. Both units work well. I use Digipan and in the macro called "File" I have entered which comport to use on what computer. I keep the Red radio ready to go on the air in a couple of minutes. The Nomic is sitting in a cellphone holder bolted to the privacy panel of my desk and plugged into the serial port. Plug the 2 stereo cables in and exchange the mike cable for the Nomic 8-pin cable. Power up the radio, ant. switch, select ant., power the PC noting if they are handshaking, and load Digipan, finally setting levels and putting a test file. Then I am ready to go. I have had these 2 for years, and have no problems with either. I had minor problems with the Plug and Play using Vista; none with Nomic and XP. 73

K4PFH Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2009 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received the Rigblaster today 10/17/09 and made my first PSK31 qso on 20m without any problems. Easy to follow instructions, setup and CD with lots of good digital software.

N0WYO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 21:49 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used mine for echolink, and it couldn't have been easier to set up. I was on the air in about 15 minutes. The disk provided as alot of useful programs that can be used with the interface.

To the electronicly challanged, you should read the manual first.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2009 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Rig Blaster Nomic direct from the company. The unit was SO EASY to hook up! Running Windows Vista and a Yaesu FT-847. I just followed the instruction manual and it all came together. I had a Tiger Tronics unit (SL-1) here before and it was very hard getting that thing to work right.

KI4CBF Rating: 1/5 Dec 23, 2008 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Do not recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had two computer soundcards burn out using this product. Telephone support person has a condescending tone and attitude. Finally scrapped the interface and went with another company whose product was much easier to setup and which has worked flawlessly.

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 17:18 Send this review to a friend
It works fine for me!  Time owned: months
I've never operated any Digital modes until
10/31/08 when I bought the Rigblaster Nomic.
I didn't have a "Digital" Elmer available,
so I was on my own for better or worse. It
was for the better, because I didn't have a
hassle with hooking it up to Yaesu FT-450AT.
I did take alot of time wiring the jumpers
because I didn't want to blow up anything!
I loaded the Winpsk v2.13 software, then I
made my first PSK31 contact on 20 meters!

W8OSP Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2008 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Best there is!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of the rigblaster plus and pro interfaces and they have been THE best interface to use. I use several of these on all my kenwoods and they are sooo easy to set up and use. If you cant setup and use these, then I hope you dont have a radio with menu's!!

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 27, 2008 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Never again...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it about a week ago from AES in Las Vegas...along with my FT-450. After spending almost a week making sure that everything was ready to go...due to work constraints...attempted to CQ after going over the paper & PDF manual on this unit on my day off. No matter how many times I reboot the PC (am a PC/networking tech) with either the USB or RS-232 cable hooked to the unit...it will not key my rig. Am so happy that I didn't spend anymore than what I did on either the Plus or the Pro! Looks like the TigerTronics with their USB unit.

N8LVA Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2008 11:53 Send this review to a friend
The best buy I ever made so far!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Greetings all,
I hope that I can give you the info you may be looking for in my findings. I purchased my nomic in August of 2007 and when I received it, I read over the instructions and had no problem understanding them. Just read the instructions and follows them exactly especially when installing the jumpers.
I use mine with my Icom V8000 and Yaesu FT-2800M and the antenna is the ARX-2B only up about 25 feet. It could be a problem if you do get the jumper wires set up wrong if you were using more than one model of radio. I use it most on Echolink in the DODROPIN conference and EQSO on the RF Hill. From time to time I go on APRS with it as well as SSTV and it works great. The best thing to do would be to buy more than one so you have one for each radio and that way you always have a back up.
I have been very satisfied with my nomic and will order another so I can give it shot on my Kenwood TS-440S.
I know their have been many harsh reviews on this product but I love mine and I canít wait to get out on my laptop computer out at the park while camping and have some fun with it and my HF rig. I keep it hooked up to the desktop computer that I have set up for Echolink, EQSO, APRS, and SSTV.
I see no need at this time to purchase the Rig Blaster Pro because this does all I need it to do.
Have fun and remember you do not need 1500 watts to send a digital signal.

73, Bob (N8LVA)

Look me up in the DODROPIN on Echolink

KI6ADA Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2007 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, I know their has been many harsh reviews on this product. Too Bad. I like mine.

The instructions have to be read all the way before loading software. Speaking of software not all software on disc is programmed to work with NOMIC. West Mountain did a smart thing by saving money and putting all their software on one disk.

I followed the jumper instructions for my radio. I put the screws on the case and it works.

Now comes the fun part. Write down the available com-port number before loading favorite digital software.

I use my NOMIC with my FT 817 and already made two RTTY contacts.

The only drawback is I do not own a laptop computer. But while I am home in the shack, I leave it all hooked up to the desktop.

When I get a bigger QTH than I will purchase a larger radio and maybe the Rig Blaster Pro.

Have fun and remember you do not need 1500 watts to send a digital signal.

73, Steve