Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | AOR AR 8000 Help

Reviews Summary for AOR AR 8000
AOR  AR 8000 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: Full range, handheld scanner

You can write your own review of the AOR AR 8000.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 13:13 Send this review to a friend
A Classic and great scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The company I worked for, years ago, needed to perform survey work prior to the installation of low power UHF data systems.

I bought two of these from Jonathan Clough's company called Javiation, in the UK. They were for the radio site survey work, using a program called Radio Manager for Windows. This was back in the 1990's.

Jonathan also had a little converter box and a ribbon cable that made the hookup to the computer pretty easy.

And... locally to me then, OptoElectronics was in Ft. Lauderdale, and I picked up a pair of Scouts and the cables to connect to the AOR8000. You had to go inside, and mount a little jack for the cable, but there was plenty of room for it, and the soldering was also not to hard. The AOR8000 was a breeze to disassemble, not fiddly wiring.

They worked great. Never failed. For the survey work, I'd have 'em on a 450-470 fiberglass vertical. All the local traffic was logged for a week or so, so we could best determine the frequencies to ask for with my FCC coordinator.

I'm not sure what the magic is, but the little scanner with its rubber duck antenna was actually a decent little HF receiver, and I had no issues at all listening to 80, 40 meters... all the way up to .7cm

Seemed to get SW broadcasts and local LF beacons too.

The menu system is a little complex, and running the radio with software off a PC to program it is the easy way to get lots into the radio. The band plan is editable, and for those so inclined no gap coverage is just a matter of editing the band plan.

Javiation sold the radio as a kit with a great little leather case, and some nice rechargeable batteries, which never let me down (but I was on AC adapter for the surveys).

You could even use the Scout to connect to the AOR8000, tune to near field frequencies, and the software would log them. All cloak and dagger stuff....

I left the company in 2001, and they went belly up soon thereafter. I always wondered what happened to those two radios. :(

KA1LWR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2015 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Performing Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio It has great performance on all the bands..You ought to try a small dipole antenna and try it .. I love it and I won't part with it..

VK7ZJA Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Still a great scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very sensitive (only better handheld scanner I had in this department was a Yupi MVT7100)
Very selective (best handheld scanner I ever had in this department)
Had decent scanning speed, and the sound quality was fine too. Quite a few nice features.

Problems:
Don't leave the backlights on - the 8000 will get quite HOT!
Careful if you build your own PC programming interface and install your own plugs for this. My unit was second hand, and the previous owner had 'blown' the internals for PC programming by using a faulty interface?
Case construction isn't real great, creaks and groans if you squeeze it - it probably won't survive a drop or fall very well at all.

Still a very very good scanner overall, so long as you don't need super fast scanning or trunk-tracking.

W6JHC Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2006 19:05 Send this review to a friend
was leading edge  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 AOR-8000's one is translucent blue.
The 8000 has a hine receiver. It is sensitive throughout it's receiving range. This is not true with most radios that boast reception to 3 gig. Just look at the sensitivity up there.
The 8000 was a radio on the bleeding edge of technology when it came out. It is absolutly beautiful to look at the guts of th thing beautifully made.
In todays age of digital radio the usefulness of the 8000 is on the down slope. The continuous coverage is handy. It works great on all of the AIR Bands.
I cant say enough about the 8000, I have an 82oo mkII which is not a bad radio, it dosent have the sensitivity that the 8000 does, Lots of cool features though.
James

OZ4ABP Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2003 11:52 Send this review to a friend
One major problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
No doubt, the AR-8000 is a great receiver. But one thing is a major problem: The fact that the delay funktion is global i.e. working for ALL channels in the memory. Even much cheaper, and younger receivers have an individual delay funktion.
This means that every time you change your scanning from, say, air (using the global delay) to police, (in my country using semi-duplex therefore NOT using delay), you would have to jump to a menu and de-select the global delay...
On the RF-side, I find the front end rather sensitive to overloading. Also spuries tend to show up 12,8 MHz from their original frequenzy. Easily attenuated by a notch filter, but still a small problem.Can you live with these truly small problems then you will love this little toy...

JIMHIGDON Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2002 13:48 Send this review to a friend
first rate handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and traded over 35 handheld scanners.
While no scanner has it all, ounce for ounce the AR8000 is my favorite. Great RX and a lot of features. If you can find one on the used market, grab it!

JIM

KD5RDY Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2002 23:12 Send this review to a friend
BEST OVERALL SCANNER  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your looking for a handheld with no gaps and tons of features. YOU NEED THIS SCANNER! I won mine on E-bay about two years ago. It was the best $250 I ever spent on a scanner. It knocks the socks off ANY radio slack PRO models. Comparing reception between the AR8000 and the newer PRO-94, I found the AR8000 consistantly whipped the PRO-94 on every band, I was pickin' up stuff from the military base 100 miles, with the stock antenna! Rat shack PRO-94 doesn't even cover the 300Mhz military band!

One of my favorite features is the opto-scout connnection. The scout is a frequency counter that captures any near-field signal then auto-tunes the AR8000 to that frequency. On a test run at the local mall, I pick up 15 cell phone conversations from people 100 yards away! Also mall security from the parking lot! That's scary!

ALL THE BEST, JOHN

PS-The stock antenna is not very good.
I suggest a Diamond RH77CA and radio shack telescoping antenna

STEVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2002 18:30 Send this review to a friend
great rx  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
nice radio scans well hard to use you need to keep checking the instructions,dead easy to use with soft-ware via comp,all in all i think this is the best aor ever made & i have had the lot.
not made any-more but you can pick them up at a fair price second/user.uhf &vhf rx is real good hf on am,ssb is fine,you get a great rx for your cash with this one.

WACARS Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2001 14:34 Send this review to a friend
excellent`  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this scanner, I have compared it to the yupi7100 and the yupi 9000 and it is BY FAR Superior. It is very sensitive and easy to operate, although if you don't have a manual you could get lost. I am very pleased with mine and would certainly recommend this scanner to anyone considering getting one. It has all the features you could want in a scanner, and it works brilliant when connected to a home-base discone antenna, also works fine on the supplied antenna.