Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-EE Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-EE
Alpha Delta DX-EE Reviews: 72 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Multi-band dipole, 10-40 meters, shortened for 40 meters.
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-EE.

KJ4HTO Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Works fine in my attic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello everyone. I installed this antenna in the attic of my apartment building. I figure its up about 25'. The apartments are concrete walls and floors with a composite shingle roof. I have a TS530S and an old MFJ 949D tuner, I can tune it for anything but 160. it actually works ok on 80 I made 3 contacts on 80 the first time I used it there. I had been using an old 20m ham stick without too much luck I could hear stuff but couldn't contact anyone. After I installed this antenna I made 11 contacts on 20m in the first hour. Even got my first DX in BC Canada, I'm in Tampa Florida area. Thus far I have made contacts on 15, 17, 20, 40, 80. I'm satisfied with it.

NW6V Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Four weeks ago I put up an Alpha-Delta DX-EE in an Inverted-V configuration, with the apex at 33 feet above ground (although just 20 feet over a roof. With gutters).

My QTH is poorly situated: hills nearby in every direction, a multitude of obstructions higher than the antenna, and very limited space.

My rig is a 30+ year-old Icom IC740 putting out 75 watts, max.

With this combination I've managed to work 68 countries and 46 states in just 4 weeks (after being QRT for 25 years).

I find this quite excellent; the parallel dipoles (Vs actually) work as well as one could hope. No magic science claimed - none needed. We sometimes forget just how good a plain ol' dipole (er, V) can be.

Ran into one problem: when I was ready to raise the antenna into position, to my dismay I discovered that the SO-239 had solder in the female center-conductor receptacle, preventing the feedline from being attached. Great... With no way to get de-soldering equipment up on the roof, I had to drag the center section of the already-assembled-ready-to-raise antenna in through a second story window to work on it, causing the solid-core antenna wires to become rather spindled, folded, and mutilated in the process. Sorting all this out and getting the antenna ready to raise again took much longer than the original assembly! To make the long story short, while I was far from pleased that the connector suffered from this build-quality issue (which Alpha Delta assures me had never been reported before) I can write that off to "S_ _ _ happens." But I felt like a total idiot for not checking the connector BEFORE doing all the prep work. In truth, the rest of the build seemed so perfect - and the reviews about quality here so glowing, I didn't think I needed to check... wrong.

Regardless, I still rate the antenna a "5". I'm very happy with the product: it got me one the air from a marginal and space-restricted QTH with a technically solid product that has provided excellent results.

BTW, of course I could have built it myself, but even considering that faulty solder job, it would have taken me far longer to home-brew the complete parallel configuration, and I would be hard-pressed to attain the same build-quality; it really is nice heavy-duty stuff.

But gosh, I do wish I had space for the 80-10M version :-)

73s, Chris NW6V

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Don't know how it does it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the DX-EE, flattop orientation, about 25 feet off the ground fed with 75 feet of RG-8x. It's outstanding...even on 40 where it shouldn't be since it is shortened by the iso-res coils and it is electrically low (must be NVIS and omnidirectional). I do use a tuner to flatten out the SWR.
Reports are consistently good and sometimes on nets I'm told I am one of the loudest signals. All with 85 watts out of my FT-450. I've thought of trying other antennas, but I hate to touch something that is working so well! So it stays where it is.
The materials and construction are exceptional. Highly recommended.

N3UFJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Super unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the bag, up 35' in an unadjusted inverted V configuration, back across the yard to my "Shattick" read attic shack, to hook up and check VSWR and start multiple trips to & fro for tweaking.
I found tweaking was mostly unneeded and I made a 10 meter phone contact from MD to NM on about 30 watts with a S-9 to +10 signal report. Nuff said.
The component quality is all first rate and was well above my expectations for this price point.
Bottom line? Buy it, you will be happy you did.

VE7TVH Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am running 90 watts from my Kenwood TS-450S into the DX-EE parallel dipole. Since October have 42 countries, with great signal reports from Russia, Japan (my QTH is Nanaimo, BC, Canada). The antenna performs extremely well - especially considering my sub-optimal installation (below roof line only 12 feet above the ground). 20, 15, 10 particularly great, 40 meters good enough for a working guy.

K0BSP Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfactory for attic installation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All bands had SWR readings of no greater than 2:1, and commonly 1.5:1 for the CW portions. Erratic SWR readings were initially experienced on 40 meters. Changing the installation from an inverted vee to flattop along with shortening the length a few inches appeared to help bring the SWR down to acceptable levels. I have fair to good signal reports and have been quite satisfied with the results.

W4FID Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Really like mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the DX-EE on my vintage station -- mostly SSB. The 4 bands are a great match for the KWM-2A and I enjoy it thououghly. Mine is a text book inverted Vee with a 90* apex at 33 feet (1/4 wave for 40M and 1/2 wave for 20M). The end supports are 20 feet from the center mast and 13 feet high. So each "leg" is 20 ft vertical and 20 feet horizontal. This puts the wire part in the clear with the end insulators about 16 or 18 feet high. The wire run east/west --- but it radiates well in all directions due to the 90* apex. It's under several huge trees that are 2 or 3 times its height -- but I work lots of Qs on all 4 bands easily.

I did raise and lower it a few times and use an analyzer to get it resonant where I wanted it. The materials are first class quality in every respect and adjusting it was easy. It's been up over a year in FL sun and storms and shows zero signs of wear. I'm confident it will be up -- and my primary antenna -- for many years.

Due to the loading coils 40M is narrower bandwidth than a full length dipole would be -- so you have a choice -- either cover the phone band or the CW band. 20 and 15 cover the entire band. 10 (since it's such a wide band) you have to choose to favor CW or phone somewhat. I chose a compromise and got it resonant at 28.350. So it covers (my definition of "covers" is under 2:1 SWR without a tuner) 40 phone, all of 20, all of 15, and from about 28.1 to 28.6 on 10M.

Our county EOC has the "big brother" and it too is excellant. Several of us felt strongly enough about Alpha-Delta to insist the primary HF antenna be the 80 - 10 version. It's been up 6 months and working nicely and we have no regrets about choosing it.

KB3TKT Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the DX EE since Sept. 21,2009 and have found it to be a very solid antenna. The intial adjustment was a snap to bring 40 meters to the portion of the phone band I use most. The external auto tuner I use takes care of the rest. Mounted as a flat top about 25 feet high at my SE Penna. QTH over 700 contacts between USA and worldwide. Most ops are very surprised to find out the antenna I am using with 100 watts.

KC9TND Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2011 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Stealth Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like many of the other DXEE reviewers I require a "stealth" antenna due to neighborhood covenants. I considered both homebrew and commercial antennas and finally chose the DXEE as the simplest solution to obtaining multi-band capabilities from an attic mount. It's been an excellent choice. The DXEE is very well constructed and simple to assemble. I contacted Alpha Delta with a question regarding tuning and had an answer within about an hour. I consider that excellent customer service.

Performance is excellent given the mounting limitations (about 20-25' mounting height, 1-2' from wood structural elements, "almost" a flat-top, "almost" 180 degrees, etc.). I can't work everyone I hear, but I can work many of them at 100 watts.

A WORD OF WARNING: The design of this antenna (Hi-Q) can give you as much as a 6-8x change in SWR from the bottom of the 40M band to the top in an attic mount. It's crucial that you use an analyzer or SWR meter to help you get the antenna length correct for your preferred portion of the band. Once you do that you will still require an external antenna tuner to maximize your 40M band width and to lower the SWR on other bands.

WB2CRN Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Great with FT-990  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed the DX-EE between two trees in the backyard at 20 feet. The antenna tunes fine using the internal tuner in the Yaesu FT-990 on all the low bands including WARC. Without the tuner I am limited to 10, 15, 20 and 40 meters. The SWR is a little high on 40m (w/o tuner)and the bandwidth a bit narrow which is to be expected. It's very well made too!