Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-EE Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-EE
Alpha Delta DX-EE Reviews: 75 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Multi-band dipole, 10-40 meters, shortened for 40 meters.
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-EE.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 18:06 Send this review to a friend
BEST ATTIC ANTENNA ON THE MARKET  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THREE THUMBS UP: After waiting for my new DX-EE for several weeks, I finally called the Alpha Delta folks. They informed me that they usually ship fifty antennas, but the demand now requires 150 units in their shipments. But no need for the Delta Blues, it was on it's way. Evidently, someone found out how wonderful they were for use in the attic.

This is my FOURTH attempt at an attic antenna:
#1: Alpha Delta DX-EE. Good but not expertly tuned.
#2: End-fed wire wire, with counterpoise attached to balum. Worked like crap.
#3: Radiowavz 40' dipole. Worked like crap.
#4: Another Alpha Delta DX-EE, expertly tuned and tested by DAN HARLOW, owner of ASSOCIATED RADIO (913-381-5900), my radio shop. Dan adjusted the wires and added just a bit of length to 40 and 10 meters. Considering the horrible condition of my second level attic, install was a work of art. Dan can not only order the Alpha Delta, but will answer and help solve the great mystery associated with state-of-the-art tuning. DAN, BILL, WONDA, and SOLOMON are always available to help.

Considering how low the antenna is (maybe 20') from ground and how much metal there is around it, it's a miracle that it works like a gem. My transceiver (IC 756 Pro III) was so excited to have this powerful antenna connected to it, it TURNED ITSELF ON while all power was switched off! Stations were very loud and clear everywhere and this was about 7:30 PM. Go figure!

RESULTS:

28.450 1.8
28.470 1.9
28.493 2.0
28.500 2.1

If you would like to read more about my struggle with my Homes Association Bund and their prosecution of amateur radio operators and the suppression of the US Constitution, feel free to read my antenna section in QRZ.COM: N0YXE

KF5UVN Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2013 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Works alright  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the DX EE thinking it'd be rather easy to setup, because this is and still is my first antenna from my home QTH. I don't really understand how antennas work fully, but I get the gist of it. I put the antenna up as high as I could for my location given my horrible HOA, which was about 15 feet on a metal pole. I added the balun made out of 8 coils so that the RF wouldn't get back into the shack, and the fun of coax from my transmitter to the antenna is about 75 feet. Upon first transmission, my SWR on 40 meters was a horrendous 6, and still is. I can't get it higher, but I presume that that would help tremendously, but alas, it can't be done. 40 is the only band I can really transmit on too, due to my Heathkit HW16 only working on that band, so I'm stuck dead in the water. I think I'll get the hustler vertical for 40-10 instead once my birthday comes around, but until then, I've been using the DX EE for QRP on 20 meters using my mfj 9020. And that's why I give this a 3 rating, because, it does work great on 20 meters, but it's not amazing, I still get low rst on CW, but, I'm making contacts so no complaining. The antenna is good on receive, but on 40 it was just saddening. I believe once I can get ahold of an antenna analyzer, I may add of decrease the length to get better results on 40, but until then, my experience was meh with this antenna.

Also, very hard to move around due to the lack of pliability in the wires, very annoying to set up. VERY ANNOYING, especially in the Texas summer heat!

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 14:35 Send this review to a friend
REVISED REVIEW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought that I would get a better antenna for my attic. I went through two more antenna systems and NONE were as good as the DX-EE. I learn the hard way. As you will see from my earlier review, the SWR was very good for being in at attic at less than 20 feet. I'm changing the review to FIVE PLUS and kudos to Alpha Delta for the good stuff they constantly produce. My homes association is still governed by the same assholes as before (the floods and the tornadoes that took a lot of lives in Missouri and Kansas and required a lot of emergency help). You will not go wrong with this antenna, especially if you are "underground" in an attic. 73's

KJ4HTO Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Works fine in my attic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello everyone. I installed this antenna in the attic of my apartment building. I figure its up about 25'. The apartments are concrete walls and floors with a composite shingle roof. I have a TS530S and an old MFJ 949D tuner, I can tune it for anything but 160. it actually works ok on 80 I made 3 contacts on 80 the first time I used it there. I had been using an old 20m ham stick without too much luck I could hear stuff but couldn't contact anyone. After I installed this antenna I made 11 contacts on 20m in the first hour. Even got my first DX in BC Canada, I'm in Tampa Florida area. Thus far I have made contacts on 15, 17, 20, 40, 80. I'm satisfied with it.

NW6V Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Four weeks ago I put up an Alpha-Delta DX-EE in an Inverted-V configuration, with the apex at 33 feet above ground (although just 20 feet over a roof. With gutters).

My QTH is poorly situated: hills nearby in every direction, a multitude of obstructions higher than the antenna, and very limited space.

My rig is a 30+ year-old Icom IC740 putting out 75 watts, max.

With this combination I've managed to work 68 countries and 46 states in just 4 weeks (after being QRT for 25 years).

I find this quite excellent; the parallel dipoles (Vs actually) work as well as one could hope. No magic science claimed - none needed. We sometimes forget just how good a plain ol' dipole (er, V) can be.

Ran into one problem: when I was ready to raise the antenna into position, to my dismay I discovered that the SO-239 had solder in the female center-conductor receptacle, preventing the feedline from being attached. Great... With no way to get de-soldering equipment up on the roof, I had to drag the center section of the already-assembled-ready-to-raise antenna in through a second story window to work on it, causing the solid-core antenna wires to become rather spindled, folded, and mutilated in the process. Sorting all this out and getting the antenna ready to raise again took much longer than the original assembly! To make the long story short, while I was far from pleased that the connector suffered from this build-quality issue (which Alpha Delta assures me had never been reported before) I can write that off to "S_ _ _ happens." But I felt like a total idiot for not checking the connector BEFORE doing all the prep work. In truth, the rest of the build seemed so perfect - and the reviews about quality here so glowing, I didn't think I needed to check... wrong.

Regardless, I still rate the antenna a "5". I'm very happy with the product: it got me one the air from a marginal and space-restricted QTH with a technically solid product that has provided excellent results.

BTW, of course I could have built it myself, but even considering that faulty solder job, it would have taken me far longer to home-brew the complete parallel configuration, and I would be hard-pressed to attain the same build-quality; it really is nice heavy-duty stuff.

But gosh, I do wish I had space for the 80-10M version :-)

73s, Chris NW6V

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Don't know how it does it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the DX-EE, flattop orientation, about 25 feet off the ground fed with 75 feet of RG-8x. It's outstanding...even on 40 where it shouldn't be since it is shortened by the iso-res coils and it is electrically low (must be NVIS and omnidirectional). I do use a tuner to flatten out the SWR.
Reports are consistently good and sometimes on nets I'm told I am one of the loudest signals. All with 85 watts out of my FT-450. I've thought of trying other antennas, but I hate to touch something that is working so well! So it stays where it is.
The materials and construction are exceptional. Highly recommended.

N3UFJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Super unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the bag, up 35' in an unadjusted inverted V configuration, back across the yard to my "Shattick" read attic shack, to hook up and check VSWR and start multiple trips to & fro for tweaking.
I found tweaking was mostly unneeded and I made a 10 meter phone contact from MD to NM on about 30 watts with a S-9 to +10 signal report. Nuff said.
The component quality is all first rate and was well above my expectations for this price point.
Bottom line? Buy it, you will be happy you did.

VE7TVH Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am running 90 watts from my Kenwood TS-450S into the DX-EE parallel dipole. Since October have 42 countries, with great signal reports from Russia, Japan (my QTH is Nanaimo, BC, Canada). The antenna performs extremely well - especially considering my sub-optimal installation (below roof line only 12 feet above the ground). 20, 15, 10 particularly great, 40 meters good enough for a working guy.

K0BSP Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfactory for attic installation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All bands had SWR readings of no greater than 2:1, and commonly 1.5:1 for the CW portions. Erratic SWR readings were initially experienced on 40 meters. Changing the installation from an inverted vee to flattop along with shortening the length a few inches appeared to help bring the SWR down to acceptable levels. I have fair to good signal reports and have been quite satisfied with the results.

W4FID Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Really like mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the DX-EE on my vintage station -- mostly SSB. The 4 bands are a great match for the KWM-2A and I enjoy it thououghly. Mine is a text book inverted Vee with a 90* apex at 33 feet (1/4 wave for 40M and 1/2 wave for 20M). The end supports are 20 feet from the center mast and 13 feet high. So each "leg" is 20 ft vertical and 20 feet horizontal. This puts the wire part in the clear with the end insulators about 16 or 18 feet high. The wire run east/west --- but it radiates well in all directions due to the 90* apex. It's under several huge trees that are 2 or 3 times its height -- but I work lots of Qs on all 4 bands easily.

I did raise and lower it a few times and use an analyzer to get it resonant where I wanted it. The materials are first class quality in every respect and adjusting it was easy. It's been up over a year in FL sun and storms and shows zero signs of wear. I'm confident it will be up -- and my primary antenna -- for many years.

Due to the loading coils 40M is narrower bandwidth than a full length dipole would be -- so you have a choice -- either cover the phone band or the CW band. 20 and 15 cover the entire band. 10 (since it's such a wide band) you have to choose to favor CW or phone somewhat. I chose a compromise and got it resonant at 28.350. So it covers (my definition of "covers" is under 2:1 SWR without a tuner) 40 phone, all of 20, all of 15, and from about 28.1 to 28.6 on 10M.

Our county EOC has the "big brother" and it too is excellant. Several of us felt strongly enough about Alpha-Delta to insist the primary HF antenna be the 80 - 10 version. It's been up 6 months and working nicely and we have no regrets about choosing it.