Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Heath DX100 Help

Reviews Summary for Heath DX100
Heath DX100 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $free in cornflake pkts
Description: HF bands CW/AM Transmitter sold as a kit and also prewired during early 1960s. All tube construction running 100 W from 2 x 6146 in final.

You can write your own review of the Heath DX100.

F6CER Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2008 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Old Tank !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I found a British model (DX100U) last year for almost nothing . Restored it as original (somebody had put silicon rectifiers in HV with shorted filtre caps as a result )
Now it works like a charm : good power , good audio but .......weights a ton !

KB1OKL Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2007 15:18 Send this review to a friend
great, reliable transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine from an estate sale a few years ago, it had been in a cellar for who knows how long, checked the wiring, and tubes (put some 6293's in mine) brought it up on a variac and it hasn't let me down since and it is my main transmitter, got a lot of hours on it. I have no problems at all with drift, it easy to tune up and I get good reports almost every time I am on. Mine's an early one, found two letters from 1961 to and from Heathkit in the original manual, contacted the second owner, Ed K1SSH, who's call sign was on the letter and who was quite surprised to hear his old transmitter was still on the air. They are workhorses and last a long time.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2007 08:09 Send this review to a friend
A chunk of a rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing is great....built like a Sherman Tank, should last anyone a lifetime with just a little amount of care. Love the big components for AM plate modulation. Great, great rig......restore one, and you'll have a gem in your shack!

W6OM Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2005 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Sweet AM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have my DX-100 which my parents gave me as a kit to build when I was 18 years old. I upgraded from from my DX-20 which I also still have upon passing my general class license back in the days you had to sit in front of the FCC downtown LA and actually be able to send and recive CW and calulate voltage drops across resistors in power supplies and inpedence in tranmission lines.

I still use my DX-100 and NC-300 each week on 75 meters AM and must admit it is as much fun as my new Pro III.

K4WMP Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Praise for this venerable rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many of us "old timers" I got my ticket when AM phone was king. I remember Saturday mornings with the local hams ragchewing all morning on 3850. Two guys in town had BC-610's and lived less than a mile apart!! Breaking them was the challenge.The first ham rig I saw was a DX-100...we went to a ham's house for a demonstration while in the cub scouts. From that moment I wanted a DX-100. I couldn't afford the rig so I started with a DX-40.
Time passed ... I went to college...got married...became a MSEE ....but the "bug" was still biting. About 4 years ago I bought my dream rig. It was located in a barn in pitiful shape. But it didn't take long to get it going!!
I remember the price new.. $189.50 as a kit.
The rig gives no trouble. The 1625's are JAN from 1943 and the 6146's are orginal with a date code of August 1948. Most of the tubes are original. What a rig !! The receiver is a Hallicrafters S-76. And, I've noticed in my 45 year ham career that the guys and gals on AM are a civilized and interesting lot!.

KF6GOM Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2004 20:54 Send this review to a friend
My Start In Ham Radio  Time owned: months
my electronics teacher in High School let me use this beauty of a radio back in 1976.After getting my novice licence this was the radio we had in our lab.
gave me a loving feel for the hobby, very stable of a radio and when i made that first contact he said
"your broken in and your plates are hotter than a
6V6 Tube" . would love to purchase one if i see one
73 KF6GOM Bruno

WA2TAK Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2004 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first DX100 was back in 1964.
AM was Hot.
Operated until I joined "Uncle Sam" in 1965.
Forty years later, I've just finished a DX100 restoration, including new harness.
Turned it on, and 100 watt lightbulb radiated fine.
First QSO guy said it had "splendid audio".
Like being a young guy again on AM.
My Salute to the folks a Heathkit for designing, developing and producing one hell-of-a-fine rig for an Amateur to build and operate at an affordable price.

K6USI Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2004 23:45 Send this review to a friend
In 1956 was the best bargin around  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one of those, back in 1956 when I was waiting for my license from the FCC. It took about 2 weeks of careful wiring and soldering (no cold joints) If I made a mistake I would never find it.
When it was done I prayed, crossed my fingers fired it up using a light bulb for a dummy load, bingo !!! it worked. Well I worked all over the world on that sucker. It was a winner
I made about all the mods over the years that came out in QST and there were a lot..Now it's sitting in my garage along with a Collins 75A1 receiver, all too heavy for me to lift.
If you want to get into AM and find a good deal on one go for it.

KC8JX Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2003 22:23 Send this review to a friend
A very dependable AM Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a DX-100B used primarily on 10 AM and paired with a National NC-303. Uses two 6146's in the final and loads up to about 100 watts out on AM. The cw note is not too great but that can be fixed with some modifications. I have modified mine somewhat for wider audio response. I agree with another reviewer...this is an easy transmitter to work on...just be prepared for the weight of it. I use a D104 mike and have continually received great audio reports.

The DX-100's (DX-100 and DX-100B) were sold in the mid to late 50's and Heath probably sold thousands. Currently, these transmitters have a resurgence with vintage radio and AM; many of these transmitters are still used daily. For a radio that is almost 50 years old, it's interesting that mine still contains several tubes that say "Heathkit" (and mostly original parts). Many radios can still function after all these years; the vintage radio resurgence is still going strong....I hope to use mine for many more years to come.

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2002 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was one of only a few Grief kits I owned (out of about 20) that really worked well for its technology and price. This xmitter could last a 100 years if it was maintained properly. It didn't sound bad on cw and the am modulated 120 watts was good sounding too. If anybody likes am, I don't think anything can get you this power for the going price.