Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Ham Stick DB-5 High Gain Dual Band Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Stick DB-5 High Gain Dual Band Mobile
Ham Stick DB-5 High Gain Dual Band Mobile Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 3.7 dB Gain VHF
Free Vinyl Magnet Pad included
15' RG-58 Coax
Low SWR
More info: http://www.hamstick.com

You can write your own review of the Ham Stick DB-5 High Gain Dual Band Mobile.

KB3KAI Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2006 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Good value utility antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the antenna on my car roof for over a year. So far it is holding up well. I would say it works good in moderate signal areas; fringe area performance is marginal to poor. Overall I give it a high average rating. For the price it is a good value.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2006 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently ordered this antenna from Lakeview in SC. They are damn quick!! The same day they received my money order was the same day that it shipped. I really don't believe the gain figures that it mentions for the antenna, however it does perform well. I don't have an SWR meter that covers the 2m and 440 bands on my 706MKIIG, but all the reviews have stated that it's tuned right, so I believe it. The antenna is a champ. It equals and in some ways exceeds the performance of my Radio Shack 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna which is surprising seeing it's quite a bit physically shorter (being a 1/2 wave on 2 meters). I am disappointed a little bit though that I didn't notice much difference between the performance of this antenna and my Anli 15" old dualband flexable HT antenna which I was using previously on a BNC mount w/ground. But I still like this antenna. For the cost, it's defenatly worth it. I got the NMO version along with a 4 inch NMO mount costing just under $51 together (the price was about the same as the one with the 3/8 mount and antenna, but the 4" NMO MagMount was $19.95 and the dualband ant with NMO base was only $30.95). I mainly use this antenna outside on my limited space on the back porch. I can get into repeaters with it from Dillion NC (55 miles away) all the way to Hillsbough (65 Miles away past Durham) all from a poor QTH in Southern Pines, NC. Good Job Lakeview. BTW The antenna looks pretty classy too!

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2003 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Three bands in a compact size!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a review of the DBB-5, the base station version of the antenna, which is electrically the same as the mobile version. As others have noted, this is a very nice antenna to use in a low profile home installation or for portable use at public service events. It is essentially their 144/440 mobile antenna with a mount to put it on a TV mast. Officially this company is Lakeview.

I haven't installed this antenna yet, but I did put it on an AEA VHF/UHF analyst and confirmed that it has very low VSWR on the 2 m and 440 MHz bands. What isn't mentioned in the documentation for this antenna is that the SWR is also quite low on 220 MHz. How well it radiates on that band is yet to be determined, but with the good match I would expect it to be at least as good as a quarter wave and perhaps better.

This isn't a heavyweight antenna, either mechanically or electrically. But it's reasonably well built and fairly priced for what it is, and it should withstand moderately severe weather conditions because it is relatively small and light.

Jim Brown K9YC (ex-W9NEC)

KE4SKY Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2001 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Add radial kit for base!  Time owned: more than 12 months
www.hamstick.com also offers an inexpensive radial kit adapter to convert your mobile antenna into a small base antenna which is ideal for ARES / RACES use. We recommend to our operators that they get the mast clamp and radial it to keep with their "Go Bag" along with several 5' pieces of TV mast, a folding 3 ft. roof tripod and a handful of gutter nails or landscape spikes to anchor it onto the ground. For public service events or EmCom elevating the antenna as little as 15 to 20 feet makes a big difference compared to having the antenna on the vehicle. I also carry an adapter which threads onto the NMO base on the vehicle which converts it to SO-239 thread so that I can run coax directly from the vehicle to the antenna. This adapter is also good to have to check coax on mobile installs, by attaching a 50-ohm dummy load to the mobile mount via the adapter and sweeping the coax with an MFJ-259 or 269 analyzer to check for defects.

The modest mobile antenna and radial kit does very well in most emergency field deployment situations for simplex operations and the whole rig will fit in the average compact car trunk with little fuss. Alternately get a ten-foot section of 1-1/4" schedule 40 PVC rigid conduit, flared on one end, cut it into two 5' pieces with a tubing cutter and use these for a cheap mast for a light duty antenna.

KG4OIO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2001 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Very nice for the price...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For my needs this antenna is great. I was looking for something that would leave me a few dollars to spend on an actual radio (as I'm a new Ham), something that worked, something that was mag mountable and preferably something that was all in 1. This antenna is it. The SWR was flat right out of the box and I have tested it's mount at highway speed(70+) with no problems what so ever(your mileage may vary). All of my use thus far has been on an HT with a BNC adaptor so I have only been able to put 5 watts on it. I intend to provide another review after a year or so on the durability of the antenna.