Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | UI-View APRS Software Help

Reviews Summary for UI-View APRS Software
UI-View APRS Software Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $15.
Description: A reasonably priced software package for APRS. Runs under Win95/98/98SE/ME. There is a 16 bit shareware version available. The 32 bit version is register only (about $15)
More info: http://www.ui-view.net.

You can write your own review of the UI-View APRS Software.

KV4PW Rating: 1/5 Apr 22, 2013 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Useless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've downloaded it three different times and each time I've gone back to register, it says my call sign is invalid. So i can't even open the software at all. I've emailed "Andy" three times now with no response. Even though the owner has passed away I guess it's hard to keep the software up to date.
I tried. but either way I'll send a donation to the American Cancer Society in his name.

KE5BM Rating: 2/5 Dec 29, 2010 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Outdated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software was good when made but a lack of updates has made this program very difficult to use. Many of the links and sources for information are no longer accessible making one have to take the time to track down the new sources to use. When used in conjunction with Precision Mapping software, I found myself ready to take an axe to the computer. This program is full of bugs that need to be addressed for UI View to be a viable source of APRS information. Especially now when you can view APRS information on various websites and can transmit using an Android-based mobile phone.

KD8FJI Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2010 08:31 Send this review to a friend
The best free stuff available  Time owned: more than 12 months
When used in conjuction with MapPoint and UI-Point32, UI-View32 is fully capable of just casual tracking or accountability for disaster relief.

I use UI-View32, UI-Point32, and MapPoint 2009. Yes, the 2009 version works very well. I know the website says you need either 2002 or 2004, but 2009, and probably other versions, work just as good.

All of these applications run on an Apple MacBook Pro with Windows XP Professional SP3 installed in a BOOTCAMP made partition. For connecting the computer to my TM-D710A, I have some cheap generic USB->Serial adapter.

Yeah, there is better software out there that you have to pay for such as Depiction, but this will do. If you haven't tried it, do it now. If you tried it once and didn't get it working, that's a user error. Try it again and play around with it.

K9YS Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2008 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had difficulty getting it up and running, only because I didn't follow the instructions as written. I installed and unintalled the software 3 times before I realized I didn't do something correctly. I made a donation to Cancer research as the instructions requested, although it is not mandatory, but I recommend it- may help someone in the future and you get very good software. I also purchased Precision Mapping to have some great maps. One of the pluses- I got my my registration number in just a few hours. It took me over a week to get new registration for another well known APRS software. I recommend the UIView 32 if you are getting into APRS

KF7NN Rating: 0/5 Feb 3, 2008 10:13 Send this review to a friend
worthless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
not possible to register my callsign,
that was the message i got from them.

kinda pointless to have software you cant use
anymore.

M0CYP Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2006 02:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Support Community  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using UI-View for years now and it has remained very stable on both Win98 and XP Home, it also works on Windows Vista RC1

One thing that has stood out from the rest of the APRS clients is the user support group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ui-view/join ) which has thousands of members from around the world. This large support base means there is no problem which can not be solved

Also the 3rd party software support is great with lots of add-ons which can customise the program to your every need

For more information on the 3rd party support take a look at the following

Andy.

4Z5PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 19:15 Send this review to a friend
UI-View APRS Best software.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best and most convenient program for APRS with set of the most different functions!
The RigExpert2 S/D interface compatibility with program UI-View32 using Packet opportunities of program MixW2 for what is available the special driver. You can receive set of free-of-charge Maps and other information on a site www.mixw.co.uk

W8JAS Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2006 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Stay away from this orphan  Time owned: more than 12 months
UI-View once had a lot of promise. But the author became sick and died and wanted the source code destroyed so no one could continue his work. So now that APRS specs are changing, there is no way to update the program. No enhancements will ever come except through third party modules. There are already a few reports of people having trouble getting the program to install on the XP updated OS, but there is no help to fix them. Time to move to AGWTracker, APRSPoint, WinAPRS, APRS-SCS, or any other actively supported APRS programs. Yes UI-View might be free, but why waste your time on a program that will never go beyond where it is today? There are much better older and up and coming programs out there.

VR2VOI Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2005 18:49 Send this review to a friend
UI-View32  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use UI-View32 to connect to my TM-D700 for APRS fun. It has a pre-set option for this radio (and the TH-D7 handheld) so it works perfectly with it.

The registration procedure is simple and friendly. I got my keys within 2 days only and I am sending my donation to a cancer research organization on voluntary basis as requested.

Before using UI-View32, I tried WinAPRS. WinAPRS said my system ran out of memory (I've 1GB RAM only) in the APRS nodes mapping process. So, I turned to UI-View32. The mapping process was fast once you connect to the APRS server and no memory problem occured.

There are lots of things to read before I can master the functions. But for basic operations, it is easy to set up and the system is quite stable.

If you are new to APRS, consider UI-View32!

NA4IT Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2005 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For those who do not know, Roger, the author of UI-VIEW, passed away from cancer. His family decided to make UI-VIEW32 available for all who want it for a simple donation to cancer research.

There also is a new URL to get from, which is http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm.

Now to the review! This is an absoulutly must have piece of software. It has so many neat features it would take this ebtire website to review. But here are a few to "wet your whistle"!

(1)If you are a registered user, you can actually use UI-VIEW32 for APRS by hooking up to an APRS server. (NO RADIO OR TNC REQUIRED!) And it works perfectly that way.

(2)Get the UI-TERRA add on. It goes out on the Terra Server site and downloads maps of your choosing...FREE!

(3)Doing Skywarn? Hook it up to the APRS server, watch for the "Center of MAX Concern" WX Icons (or symbols). Right click one, and select "Finger WX Server". You instantly have the full text of the warning or statement on the screen!

Simple. Get it. NOW!