Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-6 - Dual Band Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-6 - Dual Band
Comet GP-6 - Dual Band Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Dual Band Antenna. 2 meter and 70 cm

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-6 - Dual Band.

WS3Y Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2018 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Astounding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had to revise my previous review to make certain Ive included all relevant information.

Like most other HAMs, Ive been using 2m and 70cm since I first got my ticket.

I was living in Dayton (residency rule) and my wife lived in Cincinnati. In the days prior to wide spread cell phone use, we appreciated 2m, and the Middletown DIAL amateur radio clubs repeater, as it afforded us a way to communicate each night with out incurring long distance phone rates.
The DIAL people were so gracious and and allowed us a generous amount of time to catch up on family news and issues.

After retirement we bought a house west of Cincinnati in a very hilly area with an abundance of trees, houses and buildings.
2m communication now became next to impossible; terrain and trees being the bigger issues.

Suddenly I could no longer hit Cinci repeaters and Middletown and Dayton repeaters were out of question.

I could hit a repeater in Indiana, one in Kentucky and one in Ohio.

I tried different radios and antennas, particularly antennas:
Tram Omni - 1-3 repeaters
Jetstream Omni - 1-3 repeaters
Home brew Omni - 1-3 repeaters

Other hams advised me that a directional antenna was the only answer, so I bought a Cushcraft A270 10 element dual bander and,
1 -3, occasionally 4 repeaters, and I could never get it to tune properly across the 2m band.

So after 15 years of frustration, I quit 2m all together.
I was in 2m prison!!!

Then comes 2018 and I decided to look at eham reviews again and came across the Comet GP-6.

Best thing that ever happened to me on 2m!
I was absolutely astounded! Not only could I now hit the DIAL repeater in Middletown (about 35 miles away - over a high hill),
I could hit distant repeaters in Kentucky and Ohio - some as far as 40 miles away!!!

Due to deed restrictions, the antenna is mounted on a fiberglass telescoping pole about about 7 feet above our rear deck which is 16 feet above ground level. The antenna itself is about 10 feet long (3.07m); so the top of my antenna is 33 feet AGL.

I tried the mast at 10 feet higher and saw NO increase in performance so I kept it at 7 feet to reduce wind load and mast bending and decrease visibility from the street.
The antenna is white and is nearly invisible against a grey sky, but is really visible against a blue sky.

Not perfect, but it is far better than what I had!
This is without a doubt, better than ANY dual band VHF/UHF antenna I have EVER used, and no tuning is required - low SWR across the 2m band!!! I have not used it on 70 cm.
I am no longer a 2 m prisoner!!!

The only negative comment is the poor quality of the directions and illustrations - which leave much to be desired! But after trial and error I was able to get the two sections mated (the only difficult part) and mount the antenna. Its best to assemble it on the floor or a long table or work bench.
The set screws that mate the wire connections are extremely small - if you drop one, be prepared for a long search with very good eyes!

If you are in wooded, hilly terrain, blocked by structures and must live within deed restricted rules, this just might be the antenna for you!

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2017 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This this is much stronger than my previous antennas. I did not have any of the issues mentioned in the review below. Will note that these are two 5/8 waves on 2 meters as Comet does not see to publish this spec.

I did paint mine green and scuffed the shine off it with a scotchbrite to blend in with the trees around my house. This should protect the fiberglass from the environment.

N7AY Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2017 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Great little Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my GP-6 2 years now and have moved it to a different location once. It's works nicely. Hasn't ever given me any trouble and has stood up to a couple of wind storms I didn't expect it to. I get great signal reports and it competes nicely with it's bigger brother the GP-9 if you're not in the mood to have 16' of antenna in the air.

Would recommend.

My only complaint, I wish the fiberglass was gray or dark blue. White looks nice but doesn't work well to hid the antenna against the sky.

W9YK Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2016 16:18 Send this review to a friend
tap the carpet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
glad I read the eHam reviews for this Comet GP-6
Rest assured, tap the antenna which hides the element far from reach - with some tapping, and twirling the center element did drop down (now get to the screws)
Otherwise easy to put together -

KM8N Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2016 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Check Workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased this antenna in the last several days. I agree this is a nice antenna and it is preforming well in it's temporary location. I didn't have any trouble retrieving the upper section from the fiberglass tube but the lower section was far enough into the fiberglass shell that the lower set screw was not accessible. I pull lightly on the couple and it came up easily so I was able to connect the two sections. Finished the assemble and installed it. Frist mistake not check the SWR on the ground. Once up the SWR was horrible 2 to 1 or more on both band. Checked the feed line which was new, no issues. Took the antenna back down SWR still the same but noticed that at times it would dramatically improve then go away. Long story short found that the first solder joint up from the load coil was defect and that all the internals above that where just floating in the fiberglass tube. Clean and repaired the joint. SWR well within specifications. Someone simply didn't completely solder the connection. 73,

K5HDA Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 17:13 Send this review to a friend
very good dual band ant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was very impressed with the quality of the hardware that came with this antenna. Aside from the "where is the other end" problem that others have had with putting it together it was easy to assemble and light to work with. The performance has been good and the swrs respectable.

K4TJO Rating: 2/5 Dec 20, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Fuzzy surface  Time owned: more than 12 months
OLD NEWS, BUT WORTH REPEATING: ANY FGLASS ANTENNA SURFACE (some more than others) WILL WEATHER FROM EXPOSURE.
THE GP6 IS NO EXCEPTION.
FOR SEVERAL YEARS OF ADDED SERVICE, JUST WIPE IT DOWN THOROUGHLY WITH ACETONE AND BRUSH OR SPRAY-ON A COAT OF CLEAR EPOXY, EVEN RUSTOLEUM CLEAR ACRYLIC MIGHT DO.
NO NEED TO REPLACE IT!!

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2013 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have found that the GP-6 works very nicely for me. Having assembled a Comet antenna like these before (GP-2?) I knew there was a bit more to it than just screwing everything together. The only 'trick' to it is to read the instructions and don't do anything obviously destructive.
Performance? It's certainly an increase in performance over a couple of previous antennas I've used. A 'hear-able' increase in performance, not just 'numbers'. The matching isn't good over the whole band (either of them) but how can you realistically expect that? The biggest difference between the first one I have and the last one put up was that connector in the middle, changed from metal to plastic. So far, I can tell no mechanical difference. The first GP-6 and the last one I bought are both still in service and doing well.
Would I recommend a GP-6 for average 'home' use? Yes, I would, and do.
How about for a repeater? No, it's just not designed for that, not 'heavy duty' enough.
I'm happy with the GP-6.
- Paul

KF5RGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2013 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Even recieves 800mhz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna right at a year now and its works great! I have it mounted to the eve of my roof which is approximately 15ft high and primarily it with my Icom IC-7000 in the VHF/UHF bands. I recently bought a Uniden HomePatrol police scanner and connected it to it to see how it would receive the local police frequencies in the 800mhz band. Needless to say I was amazed how well it worked! I didn't think a 2m/70cm antenna would pick anything up, boy was I surprised!

K9ASE Rating: 2/5 Apr 1, 2013 10:35 Send this review to a friend
poor instructions hurt it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should have come to Eham before I bought the antenna so that I was aware of the instruction issue. I ended up cutting down the fiberglass sleeve to reach the inner portion of the antenna. Now I have a weak antenna with poor SWR. It looks like I'll be replacing this with another brand antenna.