Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-969 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-969
MFJ-969 Reviews: 114 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Covers 160M to 6M, 300W
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-969

You can write your own review of the MFJ-969.

K5JXH Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2016 12:02 Send this review to a friend
used is used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine suffered UPS carrier damage.
lots.
When getting a tuner shipped by your avg. carrier.
expect damage.! (DHL has computer grade offering that is 100x better) but more $$$

open the unit and look for damage.
loose parts, missing parts.
burned up parts, (the main coil has a brass roller, it needs to be clean as does the coil silver plated coil.) the 2 springs for the roller must be active. (at bars end)
make sure the cap fins are not bent and shorted,
as you turn the 2 knobs.
Make sure the 2 main coil ground screws are still tight and the rear brass springs are tight and 100% clean.

Then test it at low power , to a real antenna.
make sure as you move the 3 knobs that you do not get some huge glitching of reflective power.
end to end, use the knobs and watch it.
on mine the shipper broke 2 meter wires off.
imagine the G-forces that could do that.

I'm now looking for a 500w+ tuner. PalStar AT500
But not because i don't like this one,
this one will be my backup.

I'd never give a used device a rating!, only new.
the above rating is based on a new tuner
it's just average at this price point.

Why rate a device dropped from 7 feet.?
be silly and unfair to MFJ.

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2016 02:34 Send this review to a friend
good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
works fine for me and it tunes the loop with no problem.
roller bezel is a bit stiff but I turn it by hand rather than try and use the finger indent to turn it.

M0KFO Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Decent for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always find some of the complaints on here quite strange. I just bought a s/h one recently and it was quite poorly.

Some wrong case screws were wrong and I almost had to drill them (the unit is probably 15 years old). I reckon a hammer had been used on some. The capacitor that dampens the meter had half a reel of solder on it (wasn't MFJ, would have been one of the previous owners), did the best I could to tidy it up, but with so much solder to heat, it was starting to melt the plastic.

Battery was all taped up and didn't sit in the compartment. There was a small amount of arcing on the roller shaft. The inductance bypass flap had broken off and as often complained on here, the inductance knob was tight.

Well, under the two screws with the counter wheel and move it, keeping it tight right as you tighten the screws up, then adjust and line up the large counter gear, maybe using a little 3 in 1.

I had to wait weeks for MFJ to send the inductance bypass bar, cam and flap, which apparently nobody has in the UK. But they did send it FOC.

So I basically did what this guy did, plus some more.

Up until this year, I had never touched an ATU, on 11m you don't need one, although I have been messing around with electronics for about 40 years since I was a kid.

I can now move the induction wheel with my baby finger at speed and only use my hand to fine tune it. If people really don't like MFJ stuff, stop buying it and pay more, but people seem to want to pay peanuts and get top quality gear. Maybe it was because I had a Meccano kit when I was a kid, then electronic sets. Personally i find MFJ stuff competitively priced and I'm quite happy to open a new item up, give it the once over and get a spanner, screwdriver or Iron out to finish anything off.

Those that can't fix a tough induction wheel, shouldn't call yourself amateurs.

2E0TPO

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
New meter lamp, tuner OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a prior review or two... Saturday, I attended a local hamfest and talked to the MFJ guys about the burned out meter lamp. The rep gave me two new lamps, no charge. Yesterday, I replaced the lamp and all is OK. I never got an answer from the rep as to why they burn out so quickly.

Looking back and not knowing better, next time I will go with another make/model/manufacturer. I have a 20 plus year old small MFJ tuner similar to the newer travel tuner, and liked that product, so I bought the 969 based on prior experiences. I will say this, the 969 will tune anything I hook-up to it.

W7MCK Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2015 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Works Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine for $120 out of Craigslist.
A month later I noticed the SWR meter jumping from
1:1 to over 5:1!
I was afraid I was going to blow my finals.
So, I opened it up and noticed that the open air inductor was burned in one spot and that is what was causing it when I would roll over that spot.
Be aware that this may happen from running too much power!
I also noticed that it was the original open air inductor.
Heck, the unit was 13 years old.
So, I replaced it, and never more a problem.
Other than that, it works good.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
A definite step up from coil switch type  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these several years ago and recently got another. My antenna is a 65' dipole at 30 ft, center fed with 75' of radio shack 300 ohm foam twin line (100 ft, $10). It comes into a Palstar 4/1 current balun, and then 2ft of RG-8 to the '969.
It tunes all bands, 40 thru 10 with no problem at all. Using 100 watts I've received very good signal reports and worked some nice dx.
I've used similar set-ups with the 'switched coil' tuners and there was always a band that wouldn't load up. Not so with the roller inductor. Once you get a few settings noted for each band, tuning is quick and easy - and the SWR is FLAT. The manual suggests starting points for the caps and the coil. And there is no RF in the shack.
The coil knob is large and turns with some friction, but it is not hard to turn at all.
The meter is big, and the 'peak reading' circuit is an excellent way to monitor your power output.
I really like this tuner. I'm sure you can get a very nicely built tuner of this type for $500 or $600. But for under 200 beans, I don't think you can beat it. Anyway, that's my humble opinion. I give it a solid 5 for doing a Mighty Fine Job.
Thanks for reading.

W8STU Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2014 08:28 Send this review to a friend
WORKS FOR ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second MFJ-969 I have owned. The first one I had to sell. I needed the money. I had so much good luck with the first one, I bought a second one. The tuner tunes about everything I throw at it. Yea, mine has the same tight inductance knob, but that does not bother me. The tuner works as it should. I love it. I would of rated the tuner a 5, but because of the tight inductance knob I rated it a 4... I would highly recommend the tuner. I got mine from WWW.HAMCITY.COM for $170.95. Best price on the net.

PE1FCH Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been working with the MFJ969 for a few months now. Yes indeed, the tuning process requires a bit of patience, but in my experience it will tune almost anything. No problems with the roller inductor, it does what is has to do: tune the antenna to the transmitter.

KD0OEC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 15:26 Send this review to a friend
great barefoot tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in a antenna restrited zone,so I have to use indoor antennas and low power.My antenna is a G5rv configured in a three legged loop.I tried other tuners with no luck and thought I might have to give up the idea of operating DX with a indoor antenna.The MFJ 969 worked great it tuned this indoor G5vr jr. on 40-10 meters with near perfect swr.I haven't tried 80 meter let because I just don't have the antenna. I also haven't tried the tuner on 6 meters because I don't have that band.I can switch from 40 to 20 meter and by just adusting the knobs to the proper settings for that frequency I can have it set perfect so that when I tune up no futher ajustments are needed.The only fault that I can find is that the roller inductor is a little stiff to operate.If you are operating 100 watts or less and looking for a good manual antenna tuner for around $200. this is it.

N1EE Rating: 2/5 Jun 4, 2013 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Hate it but still have it...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really hate this tuner. Like everyone else my bulb is out. And my roller inductor knob is stiff and the thumb indent needs a lot if pressure.

I hate that it wants to move around when I try to turn the roller inductor. I solved that by putting a heavy box on it and wedged it between some things. If you can mount I with brackets you will be happier--as long as you don't need to make changes to cabling.

It takes some experience to tune quickly, however, to go from 0 to 49 turns on the inductor takes a while and drive you crazy. I try to find the notch that drops the antenna side cap, then radio side cap and then scroll around with the inductor until the reflected power drops and then revisit the two variable caps.

It won't tune everything but it can tune most anything...which is why I have it--15 years or so now. That is a long time to hate something. To be fair, it tunes up to 6 Meters and is working with some amazingly bad feedline at the moment--something that an auto tuner could not handle and that might damage a radio.

What I should do it sell this and find a better quality tuner with a smooth roller inductor. Which is what you should do if you are thinking about this POS.

Better still, make sure you have good antennas and feedline and use a great auto tuner. It is worth the extra expense.