Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-969 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-969
MFJ-969 Reviews: 118 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Covers 160M to 6M, 300W
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-969

You can write your own review of the MFJ-969.

WQ6N Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2017 06:15 Send this review to a friend
A couple of Lessons Learned during first field trip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
- I purchased this tuner used and did a open and inspect. I found that the version that I have had a rubber O-ring connecting the roller inductor shaft to the counter. Also noticed that the slip compression ground connection was almost off the the rear shaft and the grease was dry and crumbling. (This connection failure has been a root cause of folks loosing their finals) I did a roller inductor slip connection mini-overhaul using MG Chemicals Silver Conductive Grease 7g Syringe and re-centered the slip connection over the shaft.

- Got it back together, applied 12vdc, and it did its job. I agree that the settings in the manual were not even close to what I ended up with (e.g. roller inductor called for 6.5 6.5 116 for 20m while I ended up at 6.5 2.0 008. It all depends on the impedance that one is trying to match.).

- To do - Remove the roller inductor back plate and polish the roller shaft and roller contact surface. I am waffling back and forth regarding using the Silver grease on the roller contact and shaft. I also want to order the geared counter replacement $15.00 from MFJ.

- Bottom line, for the price paid and time spent, I am happy with the unit. It did its job. Weight and size worked well for Go-Box storage and transport.

WT4P Rating: 2/5 Dec 3, 2016 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Low Price = Low Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's inexpensive and it works. However, the numbers that correspond with the roller inductor are nowhere close to the user manual's recommended tuner settings as per "Tuning Chart" in the manual. It's not that big of a deal, but it bothers me. Personally, I wish I would have spent a bit more a better tuner.

VA3WAO Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2016 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner for the Money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this tuner along with my transceiver last December after I got my certification, I was looking for something that would tune in anything down to a barb wire fence, this unit fit that bill. I have 100W to play with with my Yaesu FTdx1200 and most likely won't go up too much in power unless I have a rich dead relative leave me a pile of money to play with.

My intent was to play around with some antenna's particularly at 160 meters like the beverage and a couple other long wire's. This unit has a balanced line/random wire connector, which I plan to play around with some.

I bought my unit at Radioworld in Toronto Canada for around $300 Cnd. The unit seems to be decently constructed, everything was tight and worked correctly. Using the chart in the instructions, it was easy to tune in up to 160M on my vertical, the SWR was well over 50:1 as I did not have the vertical tuned in yet. Was able to make a contact down to Florida on it, but I suspect there was a bit of ducting involved on that one.

Yes the inductor roller is stiffer than all get out like everyone complains, the two variables are touchy and when you open up the box, it could be done a little nicer inside, but it works! It Works well and can pretty near tune in nearly anything you want to flap in the breeze as an antenna!

You get what you pay for, this is NOT a $2000 plus unit, it's just over $300 here in Canada, but for entry level from 160 M to 6 M you will be very hard pressed to beat this unit.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2016 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner along with an Icom IC 718 for 300 bucks and that was quite a few years back. They both work absolutely perfectly and I run 250 watts through it with the Icom at 15 watts out. I have a small SS linear which matches up well with this tuner. Since I am primarily a CW op 250 watts is as good as a full gallon as far as I am concerned so this tuner will be in the radio room until I end up horizontally polarized. It seems to like my bug and straight keys too so no personality conflicts to worry about.

K5JXH Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2016 12:02 Send this review to a friend
used is used.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine suffered UPS carrier damage.
lots.
When getting a tuner shipped by your avg. carrier.
expect damage.! (DHL has computer grade offering that is 100x better) but more $$$

open the unit and look for damage.
loose parts, missing parts.
burned up parts, (the main coil has a brass roller, it needs to be clean as does the coil silver plated coil.) the 2 springs for the roller must be active. (at bars end)
make sure the cap fins are not bent and shorted,
as you turn the 2 knobs.
Make sure the 2 main coil ground screws are still tight and the rear brass springs are tight and 100% clean.

Then test it at low power , to a real antenna.
make sure as you move the 3 knobs that you do not get some huge glitching of reflective power.
end to end, use the knobs and watch it.
on mine the shipper broke 2 meter wires off.
imagine the G-forces that could do that.

I'm now looking for a 500w+ tuner. PalStar AT500
But not because i don't like this one,
this one will be my backup.

I'd never give a used device a rating!, only new.
the above rating is based on a new tuner
it's just average at this price point.

Why rate a device dropped from 7 feet.?
be silly and unfair to MFJ.

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2016 02:34 Send this review to a friend
good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
works fine for me and it tunes the loop with no problem.
roller bezel is a bit stiff but I turn it by hand rather than try and use the finger indent to turn it.

M0KFO Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Decent for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always find some of the complaints on here quite strange. I just bought a s/h one recently and it was quite poorly.

Some wrong case screws were wrong and I almost had to drill them (the unit is probably 15 years old). I reckon a hammer had been used on some. The capacitor that dampens the meter had half a reel of solder on it (wasn't MFJ, would have been one of the previous owners), did the best I could to tidy it up, but with so much solder to heat, it was starting to melt the plastic.

Battery was all taped up and didn't sit in the compartment. There was a small amount of arcing on the roller shaft. The inductance bypass flap had broken off and as often complained on here, the inductance knob was tight.

Well, under the two screws with the counter wheel and move it, keeping it tight right as you tighten the screws up, then adjust and line up the large counter gear, maybe using a little 3 in 1.

I had to wait weeks for MFJ to send the inductance bypass bar, cam and flap, which apparently nobody has in the UK. But they did send it FOC.

So I basically did what this guy did, plus some more.

Up until this year, I had never touched an ATU, on 11m you don't need one, although I have been messing around with electronics for about 40 years since I was a kid.

I can now move the induction wheel with my baby finger at speed and only use my hand to fine tune it. If people really don't like MFJ stuff, stop buying it and pay more, but people seem to want to pay peanuts and get top quality gear. Maybe it was because I had a Meccano kit when I was a kid, then electronic sets. Personally i find MFJ stuff competitively priced and I'm quite happy to open a new item up, give it the once over and get a spanner, screwdriver or Iron out to finish anything off.

Those that can't fix a tough induction wheel, shouldn't call yourself amateurs.

2E0TPO

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
New meter lamp, tuner OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a prior review or two... Saturday, I attended a local hamfest and talked to the MFJ guys about the burned out meter lamp. The rep gave me two new lamps, no charge. Yesterday, I replaced the lamp and all is OK. I never got an answer from the rep as to why they burn out so quickly.

Looking back and not knowing better, next time I will go with another make/model/manufacturer. I have a 20 plus year old small MFJ tuner similar to the newer travel tuner, and liked that product, so I bought the 969 based on prior experiences. I will say this, the 969 will tune anything I hook-up to it.

W7MCK Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2015 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Works Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine for $120 out of Craigslist.
A month later I noticed the SWR meter jumping from
1:1 to over 5:1!
I was afraid I was going to blow my finals.
So, I opened it up and noticed that the open air inductor was burned in one spot and that is what was causing it when I would roll over that spot.
Be aware that this may happen from running too much power!
I also noticed that it was the original open air inductor.
Heck, the unit was 13 years old.
So, I replaced it, and never more a problem.
Other than that, it works good.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
A definite step up from coil switch type  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these several years ago and recently got another. My antenna is a 65' dipole at 30 ft, center fed with 75' of radio shack 300 ohm foam twin line (100 ft, $10). It comes into a Palstar 4/1 current balun, and then 2ft of RG-8 to the '969.
It tunes all bands, 40 thru 10 with no problem at all. Using 100 watts I've received very good signal reports and worked some nice dx.
I've used similar set-ups with the 'switched coil' tuners and there was always a band that wouldn't load up. Not so with the roller inductor. Once you get a few settings noted for each band, tuning is quick and easy - and the SWR is FLAT. The manual suggests starting points for the caps and the coil. And there is no RF in the shack.
The coil knob is large and turns with some friction, but it is not hard to turn at all.
The meter is big, and the 'peak reading' circuit is an excellent way to monitor your power output.
I really like this tuner. I'm sure you can get a very nicely built tuner of this type for $500 or $600. But for under 200 beans, I don't think you can beat it. Anyway, that's my humble opinion. I give it a solid 5 for doing a Mighty Fine Job.
Thanks for reading.