Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 969 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 969
MFJ 969 Reviews: 111 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Covers 160M to 6M, 300W
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-969

You can write your own review of the MFJ 969.

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2012 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Works FB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this tuner for a ladder line fed inverted vee dipole. One must be patient in the beginning and follow the instructions until you're honed in to your desired frequency. Then simply log the setting. The one real issue everyone seems to have is the "burns out right away" meter lamp. Seriously MFJ .. you can do better than this with an inexpensive flat top white LED and the appropriate current limiting resistor.

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2012 14:31 Send this review to a friend
one year later  Time owned: more than 12 months
After lots of knob twisting, I got tired of the squeaky & rubbing antenna selector knob so I took the cover off and saturated a Q-tip with light weight oil (3n1)and rubbed it around the shaft on the inside of the tuner while holding the unit with the rear end up. Otherwise, no problems with the tuner.

ZL1SQV Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Bad News  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine was faulty out of the box . The only mode that worked was the dummy load. It is a pity MFJ have such poor quality control. I suspect that the balun is the faulty component in this case. Parcelled up and sent back to dealer!!
Stan ZL1SQV

VE3BDE Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Just Purchased MFJ 969 works fantastic you can tune any thing perfect.
I tried them all, I have to say this one hit 5 stars!

K3DOS Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2012 04:12 Send this review to a friend
I Like It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this tuner better than my ATR30. From some of the other reviews I thought that maybe I'd have to get a crank knob for it, but that's not the case. The finger indent works fine for me. Maybe the other guys got a lemon. Anyway the 969 is a perfect match for my Mark V.

I find the large meter and peak function to be especially valuable. The only drawback so far is that the tuner is somewhat limited on 160M. It tunes my DX-B sloper OK between 1.84 and 1.94 MHz, but to go above or below that range I have to use the ATR30 which is in an adjoining room.

The bottom line is that I should have bought a 969 years ago!

K2ADK Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 17:01 Send this review to a friend
An excellent antenna tuner.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read scores of negative comments about MFJ products while waiting for my MFJ-969 to be delivered. Thus I became hesitant about accepting delivery -- but I'm glad I didn't. This machine can't turn a coffee can into an antenna, but anything reasonably close to resonant will match down to 1:1 with ease.

A local Elmer buys all his measurement equipment (and that means a ton and a half) from MFJ, and swears by that company's products. With his and my experience in mind, I recommend this 969 wholeheartedly.

N4ZAW Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2011 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Bulky, but it works.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner can make a dog cage safe to transmit out of! The only drawback is it's low RF handling capability when compared to it's size. The thing is a real bench-hog, taking up more real estate than my Yaesu FT840 does. But it never failed me -- and I've accidentally SPANKED it with 500Watts a couple times with no ill effects... Knock on wood for the next time, huh?

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
New addition to the shack and I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced my old MFJ 901 versa tuner with the 969. I like the bypass switch positions on the 969 which lets me listen to a tuned antenna and as-is without tuning, having the built-in dummy load, and two coax input connections. It seems reasonably solid built. The roller inductor knob is large and a bit tight but functional. It seems to have a slight wobble while turning but nothing objectionable. The manual is easy to understand. I have never used the crossed needle configuration and find it very easy to use. Since I only run 100 watts, it is more than I need in that area. I think its a good product for the price. I've read many negative comments about MFJ products but everything I've bought from them since 1992 has served me well.

W0GLB Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2011 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently added to the shack lineup, taking the place of an MFJ-945E (which performed admirably, as well). Does what I want from a tuner--gets me more bands, and bandwidth, from my limited antenna farm. The fit and finish are very good, the inductor knob turns very smoothly right out of the box, and will only get better with use. For all you get: antenna switch, balun, 300w dummy load, wide-range tuner, SWR/Power meter; in my book, it is a clear bargain.

K7NNG Rating: 0/5 Apr 22, 2011 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Not good at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 3 of the 969. all were pieces of junk.
IMHO the 986 is the best of the lot