Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 969 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 969
MFJ 969 Reviews: 111 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Covers 160M to 6M, 300W
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-969

You can write your own review of the MFJ 969.

GM7USC Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2005 10:28 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 969  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I just recently recieved mine and the only thing that i can say on doing a visual QC was that the 4:1 balun was loose no poor solder joints etc for that i can't knock a full point as that may have been due to transit. It only took two seconds to tighten it up. otherwise it unes my G5RV quicker and to a 1:1 on all bands. The item I really like about this tuner is the actice watt meter on SSB, very nice to see an indicated 100 watts from my FT 857. i used the presets in the manual and found them to be a good starting point, the settings for my situation weren't far from them. So can't say that i'm dissapointed with the ATU at all it certainly does what it say on the box. I was even able to tune the G5RV up on 6 meter's but I know have nearly completed the installation of my 6 meter delta. So looking forward to getting going on six over the next few days.
Gary G(M)7USC

WB1DJC Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2005 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Okay  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I opened the box shook it no rattles. I used the presets but they were way off for my wire antenna, so I tuned for best signal level and went from there like a swl would do and it tunes my 130 foot wire to 1:1 except on 80 which is 1;2 otherwise it works fine for me

WB5KCM Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2005 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Decent tuner for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my new MFJ-969 antenna tuner a few days ago. When I got it out of the box something was loose inside. Found a #8 screw and lock washer inside the box. Removed the cover from the tuner and found that the dummy load resistor was rolling around inside! Found a few bent wires and moved these back to the correct position. Inspected all the other components and all looked good. Very fortunate! Remounted the resistor and replaced the cover. Connected the tuner to my antenna and rig and tuned it on several bands with good results. The roller inductor is very stiff and needs a large spinner type knob with a crank. The meters work well and seem to be accurate. The paint finish on the cabinet looks a little cheesy but not too bad. Overall I would have to say its a decent tuner for the price.

KJ5FS Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2005 23:46 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The tuner functions quite well (I use it with indoor antennas at present), but the inductance counter stops working occasionally, requiring removal of cover to reposition the little drive band on the pulleys, which is a hassle. But other than that it's good. MFJ needs to redesign the counter drive.

VE2XQQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2004 14:53 Send this review to a friend
BIG antennas need BIG tuners  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took it out of the box new, shook it and no loose parts. Hooked of the cables and did it my way.... READ the FLIPPEN MANUAL!!!

Now I follow the presets by the book to get me into the ball park and tune up with no effort at all.

I did not buy the big multi kw model as I run 100w max in a residential area. The tuner, being new, the controls are tight but not overly. This item will load my 80m fullwave horizontal loop on 160m where the MFJ-901 tuner failed (took that one back pronto). The box is bigger, yes, but the inductor is much larger thus all my loads are effortless. On 160 the range of R varies from 3-218 ohms (as per mfj-259b) and the 969 takes it all in stride.

The case for the tuner is bigger than my ICOM 718 rig, but then my loop is bigger than lot. YES BIG IS BEAUTIFUL!!

Bottom line; you need big coils to load up on 160 and smaller is not really better.

Frank

VE3XYD Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2004 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Not the best but Good!  Time owned: months
I use this tuner mobile belive it or not. It works very well. I tunes almost any band without any problems. The only think I notcied is, the main roller dial its a little hard to move. Other then that, I would recommend this tuner to anyone.

VE9KAR Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2004 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tuner works well on most antennas, I had one problem, while tuning my TS-530sp into the dummy load, I BLEW a capacitor, scared the h*** out of me, Was only putting 100w into it, I now have a real dummy load, so not a real prob, and some day I'll get around to replacing that cap, Good tuner other than this prob.

KI4AFO Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2004 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well let me put my two cents in here. I have had my 969 for over a year. As a new ham operating an FT-920 I was prone to make mistakes and try to do things that no God fearing ham should The tuner has held up wonderfully. I did check it out when I first got it and made sure that nothing was amiss sicne with MFJ QC is a bit of a problem. The tuner has saved me from myself many times and hs kept on soldiering. I have been able to widen my 80M window through the use of this tuner sicne the GAP Titan that I have does not lend itself to a very large 80M window.

I find it rather interesting the the reviewer 2 reviews ago said he had the 969 "for two years running a Yaesu 920 on AirForce MARS Freq. at around 50 to 100 watts but after 2 months the unit started to smoke". Which one is it 2 years or 2 months.

Mine has helfd up wonderfully under coax, balanced line and plain old wire.

M0HDX Rating: 0/5 Jun 26, 2004 07:28 Send this review to a friend
NEVER AGAIN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
my mfj969 arced out and smoked on me with 100 watts...same happened to a friends mfj 3kw tuner when he took it out the box from new it rattled like a old bag of spanners (loose parts inside) WHERE THE QUALITY CONTROL AT MFJ ??? i am avoiding mighty fine junk from now on...by the way he sent the mfj 3kw tuner back for a full refund. we both learnt the hard way so dont make the same mistake.

jim.

N2WNF Rating: 0/5 Jun 26, 2004 00:46 Send this review to a friend
Don't Waist your time on Junk!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not big on long talk So I will be very brief
had this unit for 2 years running a Yaesu 920 on AirForce MARS Freq. at around 50 to 100 watts after 2 months the unit strted to smoke then sparks flew out the sides so it now resides in the trash.

73 de Tony