Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-969 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-969
MFJ-969 Reviews: 116 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Covers 160M to 6M, 300W

You can write your own review of the MFJ-969.

G0KDJ Rating: 1/5 Oct 23, 2007 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Sad Effort.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very dissapointed with the quality build and action of what appears to be a roller coaster inductor. I appreciate newness can sometimes attribute to stiffness, but from the outset this action is dreadful.

All comments below relate to the roller coaster knob and build quality.

1/Finger cup wobbles about in it's recess within the roller inductor knob.
2/ When turning the roller intuctor knob it has inconsistant weight resistance with no free roll what so ever
3/ Grinding sound and course movement.
4/ Uncomfortable and impossible to get a steady turn rate.
5/ Regarding a wearing in period, I feel this product would wear out before then.

On the upside, this tuner does does tune the antenna.
KE5HJO Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2007 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Get One  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I echo those with good experiences. However, I did have to work on mine as the tuner stopped tuning and the inductor knob became very difficult to turn. I opened it up and resolved the issue. In a nut shell, I have a fix for the stiff knob problem if anyone is interested.

I'd purchase another one.

KC9KSA Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2007 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The MFJ969 is a very good unit for someone on a budget.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been out of ham radio for 30 years and I didn't know any of the current brands of equipment. I had a limited budget and I did look at the reviews for the MFJ969 and I was a little concerned at some of the reviews. I bought the tuner and its working just fine. No loose parts, paint is ok. I can turn the roller inductor with one finger (However, it does not turn as easy as a VFO dial on a transceiver). The SWR/power meters work just fine. No arcing on 100 watts. It does take a little practice to learn how to tune my multi band dipole. The 3 digit counter on the roller inductor is very accurate and repeatable.
I feel that this is a good buy for a tight budget and you want the added tuning ability of the roller inductor.
KM6DE Rating: 0/5 Jul 23, 2006 13:19 Send this review to a friend
JUN K!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this new, and it was bad out of the box. The rolling inductor did not function at all-no meter movement whatsoever when adjusting the inductor from one end to the other (I am convinced that it wasn't even connected internally, but did not want to open it because I took it back). Also, it was so hard to turn that you had to use one hand to hold the tuner down to keep the whole box from moving when you turned the inductor dial. The power meter had poor connections because it would work one moment, then would not move at all the next moment. Workmanship was bad as well (scratches on the box, rubber feet glued on crooked, etc.). Never completed one successful tune. Took it back for a full refund & bought a fully-automatic LDG AT-100 PRO (which, by the way, works great & also allows manual tuning) for only $10 more. I will NEVER buy anything from MFJ again. KM6DE
K4KKJ Rating: 0/5 Dec 14, 2005 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Save your cash !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my MFJ-969 new from MFJ in May of this year. I intended to replace an aging AEA ET-1 tuner with a better tuner. This was a bad plan . The AEA is back on line, and the MFJ is on a shelf junked out. I will not even bother to send it back to have it checked out. Lesson learned. The tuner would not tune my 80 dipole fed with homebrew balanced line . It does not seem to like balanced line antennas . The AEA tuner tunes the same antenna flat with no problems. It also would not tune my coax fed dipole as eaisly or as flat as the old AEA. NO more MFJ products for me. I am planing on buying a Palstar ATK1M as my next tuner shortly . It is about $100 higher but who cares, you get what you pay for. I should have bought the Palstar to start with !

GM7USC Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2005 10:28 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 969  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I just recently recieved mine and the only thing that i can say on doing a visual QC was that the 4:1 balun was loose no poor solder joints etc for that i can't knock a full point as that may have been due to transit. It only took two seconds to tighten it up. otherwise it unes my G5RV quicker and to a 1:1 on all bands. The item I really like about this tuner is the actice watt meter on SSB, very nice to see an indicated 100 watts from my FT 857. i used the presets in the manual and found them to be a good starting point, the settings for my situation weren't far from them. So can't say that i'm dissapointed with the ATU at all it certainly does what it say on the box. I was even able to tune the G5RV up on 6 meter's but I know have nearly completed the installation of my 6 meter delta. So looking forward to getting going on six over the next few days.
Gary G(M)7USC
WB1DJC Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2005 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Okay  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I opened the box shook it no rattles. I used the presets but they were way off for my wire antenna, so I tuned for best signal level and went from there like a swl would do and it tunes my 130 foot wire to 1:1 except on 80 which is 1;2 otherwise it works fine for me
WB5KCM Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2005 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Decent tuner for the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my new MFJ-969 antenna tuner a few days ago. When I got it out of the box something was loose inside. Found a #8 screw and lock washer inside the box. Removed the cover from the tuner and found that the dummy load resistor was rolling around inside! Found a few bent wires and moved these back to the correct position. Inspected all the other components and all looked good. Very fortunate! Remounted the resistor and replaced the cover. Connected the tuner to my antenna and rig and tuned it on several bands with good results. The roller inductor is very stiff and needs a large spinner type knob with a crank. The meters work well and seem to be accurate. The paint finish on the cabinet looks a little cheesy but not too bad. Overall I would have to say its a decent tuner for the price.
KJ5FS Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2005 23:46 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The tuner functions quite well (I use it with indoor antennas at present), but the inductance counter stops working occasionally, requiring removal of cover to reposition the little drive band on the pulleys, which is a hassle. But other than that it's good. MFJ needs to redesign the counter drive.
VE2XQQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2004 14:53 Send this review to a friend
BIG antennas need BIG tuners  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took it out of the box new, shook it and no loose parts. Hooked of the cables and did it my way.... READ the FLIPPEN MANUAL!!!

Now I follow the presets by the book to get me into the ball park and tune up with no effort at all.

I did not buy the big multi kw model as I run 100w max in a residential area. The tuner, being new, the controls are tight but not overly. This item will load my 80m fullwave horizontal loop on 160m where the MFJ-901 tuner failed (took that one back pronto). The box is bigger, yes, but the inductor is much larger thus all my loads are effortless. On 160 the range of R varies from 3-218 ohms (as per mfj-259b) and the 969 takes it all in stride.

The case for the tuner is bigger than my ICOM 718 rig, but then my loop is bigger than lot. YES BIG IS BEAUTIFUL!!

Bottom line; you need big coils to load up on 160 and smaller is not really better.