Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-580 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-580
Alinco DJ-580 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: 2 meter/440 Mhz handheld

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-580.

BG6LVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 20:02 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice radio, I have used it for a long time.
The quality is really good!

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Incredible radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the DJ-580 for five days, but it has already become the best and favorite HT I have ever had! First off, it is the easiest HT to program, so much so I didn't have to look up ANYTHING in the manual except the function button location. I will go as far to say it is the easiest radio I have ever had to hand program period.
Yes it only has 42 memory positions, 20 for each UHF and VHF but for most people that isn't a big deal. It is a great sounding radio on both transmit and receive, and has a very intuitive key layout. I love the fact that for a radio of it's age, I can still find new batteries for it as well as I only got one with it but it is new.

I got the drop in smart charger a new battery and the manual with it and only paid a pittance for it. I would even go as far as buying another one if I ever find one in this shape. I have had five other HTs and have a new Wouxun, and two other HTs other than this one and for normal daily carry, this has become my go to radio.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the dual VFO's, cross band repeat, GREAT (very sensitive) Air band receive,and of course the greatest thing on an HT I have ever seen, the dual volume and squelch controls one for each band! Never saw that on an HT before!

WA4RVB Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2010 13:08 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this rig for 17 Years & still going strong...

KC2IJI Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2010 18:05 Send this review to a friend
simple, rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my very first ham radio, bought used. I used it mobile in the car and as usually goes, went to a 'real mobile' rig. The 580 didn't see much use after that for a few years..until I began working Rally events with Rally New York. Pros-tough radio. Programmable, good battery life. The standard antenna works well in band. With a remote speaker mic this rig has great audio for both RX and TX. The cons are few. The lettering has worn off the keys, and intermod can be a problem in some places with a mobile antenna. There are only 20 memories, but you can re allocate them VHF/UHF. It is slow by today's standards so it makes a very poor scanner. I have a VX-2r which scans well, but for any public service event, the toy stays home and the Alinco comes out. While time has passed this radio by, it is still a solid performer and a worthwhile buy if you see one used.

W1NEW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2009 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my 2nd ever HT, bought new in 1994. It still works great, is easy to program and use, has great audio and XMIT O/P, and takes LOTS of abuse. I have dropped it, kicked it, and drop-kicked it over the years. Runs like a charm nonetheless. Negatives (but understand, it is 15+ years old) are that the squelch button is beginning to stick, and the lamp has been burned out for some years. I would like to find out how to open it and replace the lamp, plus clean it.

NX8P Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2009 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Very, very good HT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DJ-580 since about 1992. It has been a very good radio, well constructed, good engineering, very easy to use and has features on it well beyond the time it was manufactured. If you can get one of these radios I would grab it. The only draw back is the small number of memory channels. Great radio. I wish Alinco still made them.

KC4GMY Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Twin-bander!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These radios have loud audio to be so small. It is so easy to program and use that you can figure out most features without referring to the manual.

The cross-band repeater function works great!

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2006 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but Goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at least 15 years ago. The original battery pack went south very early but a replacement from a vendor at a Hamfest still works. I don't do any 2 meter work anymore but I found this in a box a few weeks ago and decided to charge it up. IT still works as good as new. The air band and 800 mhz mods were done right after I got it. Newer HTs have more features but this oldtimer gets the job done.

N7YG Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2006 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio, brand new back in 1995, in Seattle, while on a military assignment from, Japan. This radio has been bounced around the world, 3 times, on various military and commercial aircraft while residing in a military helmet bag. It was dropped off the wing of a C-130 in the Phillipines, and drenched in a rainstorm in Thailand. While it looks a little "used", it still functions just as it did when I first purchased it. The original battery packs have just recently died and the OEM slow charger I think is bad. Purchased one of those packs that takes 6-AA, along with some 2100 ma NIMH batteries and it is back on the air after storage of 8 years. The only problem I have had is that it is quite prone to picking up computer hash on both 2 meters and some areas of 440. The original rubber duck is useless unless you are standing next to a repeater. I have replaced that with an MFJ-1717 dual band flexible antenna and I�m finding repeaters in the area that I was never able to access with any of my other HT�s. The back of the radio does get quite hot to the touch when running high power.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Best HT I've ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I simply loved this radio. I bought it used back around 1997 and got the extra life large rechargeable battery with it. I use to use it mobile too with an amplifier. Loved it loved it. It did suffer sometimes to interference, but wasn't much of a problem. Receiver was quite sensitive. Radio did get hot on prolonged TX on high power, but wasn't much of a problem. I would like to get another one of these. Great Crossband repeater function, which most HTs nowadays don't have. I would still have this today if someone hadn't broke into my car back in 99 and stole it. I was crushed. Currently I have a HTX-202 and a HTX-404, but would love to go back to a decent 580. I've also owned Icom T81A, Alinco DJ-s11, Alinco DJ-196, and still think that the 580 was cream of the crop.