Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-580 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-580
Alinco DJ-580 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: 2 meter/440 Mhz handheld

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-580.

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Best HT I've ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I simply loved this radio. I bought it used back around 1997 and got the extra life large rechargeable battery with it. I use to use it mobile too with an amplifier. Loved it loved it. It did suffer sometimes to interference, but wasn't much of a problem. Receiver was quite sensitive. Radio did get hot on prolonged TX on high power, but wasn't much of a problem. I would like to get another one of these. Great Crossband repeater function, which most HTs nowadays don't have. I would still have this today if someone hadn't broke into my car back in 99 and stole it. I was crushed. Currently I have a HTX-202 and a HTX-404, but would love to go back to a decent 580. I've also owned Icom T81A, Alinco DJ-s11, Alinco DJ-196, and still think that the 580 was cream of the crop.

KE7CWB Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2005 22:20 Send this review to a friend
good but has its quirks  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought this rig for the XYL about a year ago. the battery that came with it was pretty much DOA. it did come with the fast charger. my wife has since gotten a Vertex VX-150 and I now use the alinco. replaced the dead battery with a 12v 1650mah NiMH battery.

reciever is good though it picks up interference from the computer modem on 440 when im connected to the internet. speaker is quite good and from what ive been told the transmit quality is good.

bettery life is great with the NiMH battery. well over a week between charges on medium power.

easy to program and operate.

my major issues with it are it gets rather hot when transmitting even on medium power. the 12v battery has some issues with the fast charger (it gets really hot during charging and both charger and radio will go into thermal shutdown until they cool down). also it has an issue when using the dualband recieve that it will NOT shut off the reciever of the band your not transmitting on when transmitting (got one hell of a suprise once when transmitting on 440 and a 2m station broke in) so make a habit of turning the volume all the way down on the band your not transmitting on when transmitting in dualband mode.

the battery latch works OK. had to fix it to get the battery to stay in.

still have the factory duckie which works decent for a duckie. I normally use a 2m/440 whip which works much better.

KB9BPF Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2005 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Has served me well  Time owned: months
I haven't had most of the problems that are listed by other reviewers. Mine isn't too hard on batteries, the keypad is in good shape (due to the fact I use the optional vinyl cover), it's survived a few spills and falls over the years (probably the seams of the vinyl case helps a LOT toward reducing the acute shock of impact on a corner), it's easy to use, it's been reliable.

Only problem I can recall is that I had to redo the connection from the PC board to the antenna in such a way as to provide a bit of strain and shock relief.

N2CTZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2004 22:40 Send this review to a friend
good radio poor materials  Time owned: more than 12 months
the radio functions great but the quality of the materials is why alinco is referred to as astinko by my ham friends

bought 2 of these new in my 20s now in my 40s they still work great

KB7UYR Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2004 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HT. I've dropped it, modded it, beat the crap out of it. The keypad numbers were no longer visible but the keypads are only a few bucks and still available! So I replaced the key pad. The radio has been used in cross band mode for hours on end, run on 12~14v constantly and the antenna disconnected/re-connected more times than I can remember. The BNC connector on the inside of the radio did break once but a quick touch with a soldering iron took care of that. I to can disassemble and reassemble this radio blind folded. I've only had two batteries and the second one is now dead but the radio still works fine on external power. For the price, this radio was well worth the money. I like most of Alinco's older products and am very happy to still be using this radio today. I also now own a Yaesue VX-7R which of course blows the DJ-580 away but then again the radio's have 10 years difference. I'm in need of one more dual band radio and if I find a used working DJ-580 at a fair price - I'll buy it. For a new HAM a used DJ-580 is ideal.

KB7UYR Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2003 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my DJ-580 since 1994. Radio has been dropped, torn apart (I can pull it apart blind folded), modified (air band and 800MHz mods made), ran off of 12v on high power with packet and voice, stored for years and was recently pulled out of storage. The radio has been run for hours in cross band repeat mode. The rubber accessory jack cover is long gone and the print on the front control buttons have worn off. I have purchased the larger battery (EBP-28N) which is only the second battery ever on this radio. The original small battery lasted about four years and this one is still going strong, even after years of storage. Taken care of, this radio is strong and will last a long time. I enjoy using it and just recently jumped back on the bands.

W4BDG Rating: 1/5 Oct 13, 2002 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio in 1996 and other than using up batteries, rapidly, I had no trouble until recently. Now the push to talk will not unkey and ALINCO says it cannot be fixed so I will have to scrap it. I won't buy another Alinco product.

KD4AMG Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2002 11:03 Send this review to a friend
4 out of 5 rating  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought it NEW in 1996, have NO problems with operation ( easy to go from memory channels to vfo is some times a slight problem ). Always use the big batteries, sold the small one that came with the rig, ( ran out of power in less than one hour with small pack )....the radio does not get consistent useage, some times sits on shelf for months at a time before use, always ready to go, batteries stay charged while sitting unused for months ( 3 of the BIG batteries)..very easy to program ( dont have to drag out the owners manual to do that)...would rate it a 9 out of 10 if possible and if the price was right would buy another USED one !!

KD4JJQ Rating: 2/5 Apr 1, 2002 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Subpar Durability, Great Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio has great receive allowing one to operate in close proximty to another xmiter in the same band. Descent audio out on rcv . But if dropped , a interal xtal oscillator is easily damaged, & into repair she goes, to the tune of $ 150.00. I should know it happened to two 580's I owned & a DJ 160. Also the finals will burnout quick if operated from a 12v source for extended amt. of time esp @ hi power.
Too bad , otherwise it is a great radio,a far better rcvr than my Yaesu FT-530, but the 530 on the other hand is much more durable & has never given me problem & yes has been dropped on the pavement , rocks, etc. & continously ran on ext. 12v.
All my Alincos now rest in a parts bin.

VU3SCD Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2002 06:40 Send this review to a friend
2 band in one Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello Everyone,
Well I am a late commer in this rig, but to be clear It have brought at 210USD and I think it is the best in dual band. I am very much happy and I have so far not encountered any problem execpt that due to my mistake I lost the handi original dual band antenna.

With Cross band on its self I don't think it so band.