Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-G71 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-G71
Kenwood TH-G71 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: 144/430 MHz Dualband FM handheld transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-G71.

W4SEX Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2015 19:11 Send this review to a friend
I'll never sell this one  Time owned: more than 12 months
My brother in law N7TW sent this to me from NV so that I could have a radio after getting my Extra. The only other HT I would ever buy now would be the new Kenwood 72 model with the GPS. This turned me into a Kenwood fan as I now have a 281mobile and a TS-2000 HF rig.

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Little H/T!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Can't think of any more accolades to add to those here! I've added a Diamond RH77CA for a little more punch on transmit/receive.

Didn't like any of the cases made for the H/T, so I went to my local Big Lots store. Found a nicely padded, narrow camera case with a zippered flap.

The case has a 2" wide Velcro belt loop sewn on the back, a zippered front pocket for the PB-38 NiCd and an adjustable shoulder strap...for $5. The H/T fits inside nice and snug, even with the PB-39 installed.

Can't decide which was the better buy...the case or this great, little 6 watt H/T.

Should you find one...buy it.

N0WYO Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2008 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great little dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough about this radio. I got it from my son as a fathers day present three years ago. The radio has a control function that runs my v7a by remote control which works very well.

To fix the problem of the belt clip, I purchased a 'pouch'. That turned out to be a good investment for a friend of mine...

He left his radio on the roof of a car and it fell off on the side of the interstate. He'd been without it for about a month, not knowing where it went when someone called him and asked him to identify the radio. He got the radio back without a scratch on it. It had been sitting in a snow drift for about a week when someone found it. He was lucky to get it back, but this speaks well not only to the 'pouch' for protecting the radio, but to the radio itself for it's durability.

Kenwood has outdone themselves with this little radio.

Information on this radio from kenwood can be found at: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/thg71.html

WD8BPT Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Best HT I have ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
With the ability to cross band, long battery life, simple controls, and compact, this little radio does everything. I use it almost 99% of the time on cross band, using my mobile as a cross band repeater. It is like having a 50 watt hand held. I can run all day long at a public service event using low power and not worry about battery life. Wish they stll made it so I could get another one.

PA1XL Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2006 10:28 Send this review to a friend
A keeper!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This great little transceiver has served me for more than 3 years now. I am still impressed by its ease of use, ruggedness and receiver sensitivity. Highly recommended!

KG6UEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2005 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Small & Easy to Operate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This little dual band radio knocks the socks off Icom's IC-W32A in tests I ran. For one thing, the Icom feels like a brick. The Kenwood is just the right size and actually has more features.

NA5XX Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2005 16:03 Send this review to a friend
repalaced my kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
Went to hamfest and bought an Icom IC-W32A. About same (new) cost. More features

NA5XX Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2005 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TH-G71a used some 5 years ago. I have been very happy with it all this time. It came with the TX/RX mod which I have enjoyed playing with.

Recently the "6" has started going out on the DTMF pad and I have the elusive volume bug with the radio. The cure for this is that I will either get the radio fixed or buy a new one. I am VERY happy with the radio for the price.

If I changed anything on it it would be to make itcapable of cross band operation with simultanious TX/RX. But I guess that would price it higher. The price is one of the radios great features.

YEPSURE Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2005 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood's Finest & Simplest  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my G71A because of it's simplicity as well as it's reliability. Very easy radio to use with a great track record. I love the large backlit keypad, great audio, easy-to-read display, and a very good battery that lasts an appreciable amount of time. Aside from having great receiver performance, I noticed the 800 & 900 MHz reception is also very good, which is very useful since I use my G71A to listen to the local 900 MHz amateur repeaters.

If someone has a G71A that doesn't work properly then you got one of the rare units that made it out of the factory with any problem at all. No matter how good anything is there will always be a very few that sneak by and hit the buying public. Doesn't mean the model is no good, but merely that people make mistakes from time to time and that particular unit just happened to get by them. If you have the extremely rare problematic G71A just ship it to Kenwood Service Center East for warranty repair and you'll have it back in your hands within ONE WEEK.

The TH-G71A has proven to be one of Kenwood's best selling and most favored dual-band portable radio's. It is well priced and has enjoyed extremely high marks here on eHam.net and other online rating forums worldwide.

I highly recommend the G71A if you desire a simple-to-use, moderately priced, highly reliable amateur VHF/UHF portable radio.

KB1KVL Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2005 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I bought it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this 1 yr ago and the volume knob is starting to give me trouble.It sticks loud now & then no matter where I turn the knob. I have an external mic w/volume control that will save me from fixing it right away.This HT is big for today's standards too.I'd buy the Icom triband if if I were to do it over again.