Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-G71 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-G71
Kenwood TH-G71 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: 144/430 MHz Dualband FM handheld transceiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-G71.

M1RAL Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2003 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: more than 12 months

For those who want a superb HT then look no further. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of the other leading HTs, it does have everything you need to establish reliable communications, either simplex or via the repeater network.

As a former military communications operator I know what I am looking for in a radio and the G71E fulfills the criteria of reliability, durability and performance. It'll be a long time before I replace this radio.

Rick M1RAL

KG4YUV Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2003 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm 14 years old, and when I first became a ham (March 2003) I received the TH-G71A shortly after my birthday. I was first using a RadioShack HTX-202 that was being lent to me. The TH-G71A opened up alot of doors for me on 2M and 70cm. It has great receive, and as most other users here have figured out, the factory rubber duck isn't worth two craps. That duck broke (yes, it BROKE) shortly after I had it. I later got a Pryme RD-98/SMA flexible duck. It has worked great until the SMA connector has worn loose on the TH-G71 from the flemsiness of that duck. As far as I can see, the 2 downfalls for the TH-G71 are that it (#1) loves to hear computers and other electronic devices, and (#2) that SMA connector. It seems to come loose itself, but can be repaired so I've heard. Other than that, the Kenwood TH-G71 HT is one of the best darn decent HT's I do believe I've seen.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2003 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Now I Know  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now I know what I've been missing. I was never enthusiastic about getting an HT--never thought you could do much with 5 watts and a short antenna. But this past spring I thought it might be worth having one for my bicycle so I researched them all and bought the TH-G71 based on that research. Now I wonder how I ever got along without one. All my mobiles and base rigs are ICOM so I was entering new territory with Kenwood, but I was not disappointed. The receiver hears things that my BC200XLT pocket scanner never could. I've even run it along side my IC-2100 in my van (2100 on a 5/8 wave, TH-G71 on an MFJ dual bander) and it hears just as well as the bigger rig. I bought the PG-4P computer cable and downloaded the programming software and "loaded-up" the radio successfully on the first try. I do recommend the MAHA battery and charger (as others here have). My only negative is the the TH-G71 doesn't like to be near computers, since I work around them both on the job and at home. But given a choice, I'll take the hot receiver on this little HT any day. Oh, did I mention I can hit a UHF repeater 35 miles away while I'm walking the dog??

KC8MJX Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2003 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent H/T  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this radio shortly after the Christmas holiday. I don't believe I could've purchased a better radio! I'm a strong Kenwood customer.

I would recommend this radio to anyone wanting a good dual band transceiver. It has excellent performance and is simple to operate even for beginners.

73 Chad (KC8MJX)

FIREMT Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2003 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Like A Charm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I feel kind of out of place here, since I'm not a real Ham Radio operator. I bought the TH-G71 off of a friend of mine for $100.00. I had heard nothing but good things about it and thought it would be a worthwhile investment. And it was. I use it at the place I work. I work for an Emergency Medical Service in East-Central PA. The regular FM radios that my company supplies us with don't work all that well in certain areas of our coverage area. The TH-G71, however, works better than any of the mobile radios we have in the ambulances! I can always count on it to provide me with constant contact with my dispatcher throughout my 12 hour shift. It really works like a charm.

K2SDD Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2002 09:20 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked the Icom IC-24AT so much that it took me 12 years to find an HT that I liked better, (buy it--try it--sell it) until the TH-G71 came along. When I first took it out of the box I though, "What an ugly little wort." But in time I came to see it as beautiful. So many wonderful, yet easy to use features. With strong receive and transmit audio. Long battery life, but even longer when I purcased an aftermarket NiMH pack. It didn't take long to descover that the supplied Kenwood rubber duck antenna is worthless. A call to Kenwood produced the ever popular, "Why this is the first complaint that we've received." Well just junk it and buy yourself a Pryme/Premier RD-9/SMA for $20 and your TH-G71 will really come to life. I use an Icom FA-1443B duck from my old IC-24AT with a BNC-to-SMA adapter. It is the best standard size (8 inch) rubber duck that I have tried, and I've tried many. It is a good idea to thicken the adapter with several layers of heat-shrink tubing to give it extra support where it touches the radio. Now, in side-by-side comparison tests with other radios, my TH-G71 can hear signals that the other radios do not know exhist. This radio is HOT! The radio, however is easily overloaded by stray RF sources such as store cash registers and alarms, causing the squelch to open and produce an embarassing burst of static noise that really gets the attention of the people around me. Of course I can eliminate this problem by replacing the rubber duck with the terrible one supplied by Kenwood, but I don't want to do that. It's a trade off. The bright side to this is that many people who buy a TH-G71 descover it to be deaf and dumb, and never knowing that this wonderful radio only seems dead because Kenwood supplied it with such a poor antenna sell it cheap. I own five of these beauties thanks to this little phenomonon. Most of my friend now own TH-G71's also and they love theirs as much as I do. So keep an eye out at the next Hamfest Flea Market and maybe you will spot a used '71 before I do.

KG4IHJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2002 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for almost two years. One night at work about a year ago, I dropped it about 12 feet down an elevator shaft. The belt clip cracked off of the battery, and the cover on the LCD display came off. I knew that I had demolished the thing, and thought about just leaving it to rest at the bottom of the elevator shaft. I thought to myself I had better go check and see if the thing is really dead. To my complete surprise, It was still on, and I put out my call on the local repeater, and I heard the repeater reply, and I carried on a ten minute QSO on it!!! It might be ugly now, but the thing is built like a tank, and I will be buying Kenwood for life. If you do any satellite work, that's what I use to listen for the bird. You simply can't buy a better radio!

W2CZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2002 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Hard to find a better Handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second TH-G71 and it is by far the best for the money. I have gotten great audio reports and the tiny speaker on this handheld has a full and deep recieve audio...nice since it's a small radio.

One suggestion is to dump the rubber duckie supplied by Kenwood as I did. I use a Pryme Antenna and it works like a charm

KC0IZV Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2002 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio by Kenwood!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this radio for over 7 months now, purchased it out of HRO. This is my first HT I?ve owned, and I have nothing but good to say about this radio. I use it all the time; I work the 2-meter repeater 8 or so miles from my house using the factory antenna without to much trouble. Also have used it for satellite communications on the AO-27 and the UO-14, receiving great audio and signal reports. And use it mobile from time to time, but mostly use it for monitoring several local repeaters. This radio has excellent receiver sensitivity, super audio from the speaker and the factor antenna works great with the radio, no need to upgrade. Not sure what else to say about this radio but buy it if your looking for a good quality HT!!

KC0IZV

VE4GWN Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2001 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My wife (VE4YYL) and I both have one of these radios. We both love them. My wife hardly ever leaves the house without hers. The only flaw is the belt clip. There are other members of our ARES group that also have this radio, and all speek very highly of it.