Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil HMM-Y Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HMM-Y
Heil HMM-Y Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $78
Description: Heil Mobile Microphone for Yaesu Radios
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil HMM-Y.

DD3LY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2005 02:23 Send this review to a friend
DX-sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this mic with my FT-890. When I used this mic the first time and was I listening to the SSB-signal of this trx through an external receiver. I was astonished HOW crisp the sound was. My own voice has not so much low frequency parts and therefore sounds not SOOO very male. This mic gives the right punch for a razor sharp dx-sound for my voice. ALL stations gave me good reports and mentioned the crisp sound when I asked to tell something about it. If I even use the integral compressor of the radio, nobody is able to tell WHO is speaking, hi! The sound is VERY crisp then, this then this mic-trx-combo is a real dx-driller! I can recommend this mic, especially as it is not really expencive and I just needed to plug it into my radio. By the way, I own it for 2+ years now.

OH5HZW Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2005 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Great sounding mike!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I get my Heil HMM couple days ago and I´m very pleased to purchase mike.I use mike with FT-897D and ADM-817 adapter.Yaesu´s own mike are very poor sounding mike.I recommend this to all who want to bye good sounding microphone.

N3DPL Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2002 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Great for DX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ordered mine directly from Heil and they were nice enough to wire it special with a 4-pin connector for my Yaesu FT-7B at no extra cost. This is the perfect mike if you are trying to work DX at low power (50 watts). The moment I put it on the air it turned my FT-7B into a new rig. I was punching though pile-ups that I never dreamed of working before. The audio reports were not hi-fi but I was clearly understood and getting through. If you want to rag chew, just flick the switch. This is two mikes in one. I gave it a 4/5 because, out of the box, it had solder blobs rattling around inside. When I opened it up to shake them out, I saw wiring and soldering workmanship that was nothing to get excited about. The plastic construction is also nothing special. It works great though.

KA7PLE Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2002 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone for the FT-817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered mine directly from Heil. The young lady who helped me was professional and knew her product. Because I am using it with the FT-817, I also ordered the ADM-817 adapter. The microphone arrived in 2 days. Before I had a chance to use it, while I was unpluging the mic from the adapter, pin 1 disloged itself from the mic connecter and stayed on the adapter. I called Heil and told them about the problem, the same young lady said she was very sorry for this, and that a new Microphone would be on it's way that afternoon. She called me back about 10 min. later and said she had talked to a technition who said pin 1 was not used so having it missing would not affect the Microphone.
On air review of the microphone, I had a ham buddy of mine help me compair the Heil against the stock mic. He told me of course there was no comparison. The Heil out performed the stock mic in every way. He said the HC-4 had very good audio with lots of punch, and the HC-5 was a rich and full sound. The noise canceling abillity was not realy put to the test because I was in a quiet room during the test.
I will say that you will have to adjust the mic gain for the element you are using. If you adjust it for the HC-5 (full range) then switch it to the HC-4 (DX), the mic is just a little hot. Especialy on FM. I use the HC-4 most of the time so that is what I have it set for.
My overall impression of this mic is; it is built very well and fits into my hand nicely. The reports about the audio quality from people I talk to on the air are excelent. I would highly recommend this microphone to anyone who uses an FT-817 on SSB. With only 5W the HC-4 will help you be heard.

Michael
KA7PLE

N7KKR Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2002 02:11 Send this review to a friend
FT-817 Versitility  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I discovered a jewel with the HMM-Y. Given I run both SSB and FM on my FT-817, using the HC-4 element on SSB and the full audio element on FM brings the best of audio in one mic to the rig. The HC-4 on SSB get 1+ S Unit improvement and greater clarity over the stock mic. That made a huge difference on 5 watts. The wide range element which Bob Heil describes as a "Baby Goldline" is an improvement over the stock mic.

If you do obtain this mic, make sure to adjust the mic gain for SSB, AM, and FM to the primary element you use. Checking the ALC level will confirm you are where you are supposed to be.

Happy Hamming, Kevin N7KKR

KG6EPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2001 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the HMM-Y hand mike one week before the CQWW SSB contest. Really love it so far, the DX element seems to really work well, never moved thru the pileups so fast before! it was nice to get Bob on the phone too, nice guy. I use mine on an FT-847. I would definitely buy it again! 73 de KG6EPV

KD4HPD Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2001 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Microphone for Yaesu Radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this new Heil mike about 2 weeks ago and am using it on a Yaesu FT-900 mobile. I like the feel of the mike and the way it looks. The one I bought is all black, not black and grey like the picture on the Heil web site. But what I really like about this mike is the signal reports and comments I get when using it on the air! Everyone I have worked since putting this on the FT-900 says what a great mobile signal I have and how great the audio sounds! I have a very deep voice and the DX setting works best for me on HF. But everyone also says the other element sounds good also, but they like the "punch" that the DX element gives. I would recommend this mike to anyone wanting to upgrade the signal from your mobile rig. Also I am told that the noise cancelling feature works very well from those I have chatted with on the air.

Lee Flack