Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-746 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-746
ICOM IC-746 Reviews: 249 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ICOM IC-746.
Description: HF+6M+2M Multi-mode transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-746.

KC3DWC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Okay, I am new to the ham radio world. I will say that, I took a technician class at Montgomery College, in Rockville Maryland and, passed the test on November 8th, 2014. I was given an ic746 for free and, I am still playing around with it and I, am not in any way an expert on the radio. I will say this though, I have a 43 foot vertical antenna which, I bought from zero five antennas. I only have the antenna set to the 144 mhz. I have just bought a, three way antenna switch so, I guess that I will try the other frequency. I have one other question, and that is, what do I need to or, can't this radio be hooked up to my computer or, the keyboard. I really can't wait, to try the HF bands. Any help or ideas would be very helpful.
Glenn
KC3DWC

K9TH Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2014 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig - ahead of its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just recently purchased my second IC-746. I purchased my first one new in 1999, used it daily, and loved it. Unfortunately, when 9/11 hit, I lost my job,was out of work for over three years, and ended up selling just about all of my accumulated radio gear just to make it through, including my IC-746.

This radio is simple and intuitive to operate and has a boat load of features, especially for when it was introduced back in the '90s. The large digital display introduced on this radio is still featured on all of Icom's high end rigs. The built-in DSP filters are amazing in their ability to filter out unwanted signals. The band scope is very functional and a great addition.

What I find very telling is that many features that were included in the IC-746, which at the time was not a high-end rig, are now only included in their high-end radios. The IC-746 has all HF bands (except the ones not available at the time of original manufacture) plus 6M and 2M. The equivalent model today, the IC-7410, has 6M but does not have 2M. You have to jump to the IC-9100 which sells for nearly $5,000 to get their high-end rig that includes both 6M and 2M all mode capability.

If you find one that is in good condition buy it. It is a lot of radio for the money. For the average Amateur working HF on the weekends or evenings with a limited budget. this radio is unsurpassed.

KF5TIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Old Workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a new General class ham in early 2013, I was desperate to find an HF radio to enjoy my new privileges with. While looking through the state newspaper, I saw an add for ham radio equipment for sale. I called the gentleman who told me what he had for sale, among which was a IC-746.
I called my elmer to ask if this was a good radio, as the price was very reasonable. He was quick to tell me it was a deal. A 5 hour round trip drive later, and it sat on my desk, looking like new. In the nearly two years I've had it, it has been absolutely flawless. I've made WAS and DXCC with it, plus many more, and ragchewed to my heart's content. Having full 2 meter capability is an added bonus.
I'm quick to recommend to anyone this radio, and in fact assisted another friend in acquiring one recently as well. I may very well upgrade someday to a 756 Pro3 or the likes, but this little rig will stay with me. I'd give it ten stars if I could.

KB8DNS Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2014 02:36 Send this review to a friend
Owned Two, great rigs!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just received my second IC-746 yesterday, an Ebay win for 450 dollars. Supposedly had low power but I have yet to see that! My first was bought new in mid 2000 with a trade of my dying Kenwood TS-440S. I was given 500 dollars for the old rig! So I bought the Icom IC-746.... worked great for 9 years but developed a problem with the auto tuner. Still works fine in all other ways but not cheap to repair, $350 plus shipping. Both rigs are in my shack now and the 'new' 746 seems better then my memory of the original one when it was new! I still may have it repaired.
If you find one, buy it! (I also have the Kenwood TS-2000 and it is great!) 73!

SV1JRF Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this transceiver used from a Amateur Radio Store in Northern Greece. The radio is amazing in general and totally user friendly. The internal tuner of the radio can tune my long wire antenna without problems in all bands!!!i already made some qso's and "bam" while calling my callsign i had an answer!Also the DSP of the radio ,even that it is not so sophisticated as in 7400, is working perfectly.

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Still supported by ICOM, apparently  Time owned: more than 12 months
ICOM's midwestern service center repaired my 746 this week, and did it quickly, with low cost. While the problem - a faulty backlight supply- was a fairly minor and well-known one I didn't have the time to dig in myself. This rig still delivers after all this time and has had plenty of use.

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Super coverage - Bug-out approved   Time owned: more than 12 months
ICOM 746 (Non-pro) is a SUPER RADIO

Great bug-out/survival radio if that's what you're looking for.

Maybe the best considering it's coverage.

Purchased new in September of 2000 and not one single issue. Not one!

The Icom IC-746 covers 160-10 meters plus 6 and 2 meters AND general coverage AM.

And it will power up with 12 or 110 volts.

This radio has been my choice for all-around base station use since 2000. Scott Malcom up in WA former ICOM technician will service these units and he is extremely helpful. If mine ever needs service, it will go to him. He has a website called MTS http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2013 10:20 Send this review to a friend
13 years and counting-no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 13th year with the IC-746. No problems to report from my side. All buttons and the light still work. The high stability chrystal and the filters make a big difference in performance. For the new ham, if they are looking for a starter rig, I would recommend one. Does not have DSP, so what! Reliability and less to worry about in terms of computer stuff.

KB0ROC Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2013 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Great old Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this great desktop rig for over 10 years. Not only has it given me WAS awards , but I have contacted well over 300 World Stations. I live in the Midwest and with a simple 20 meter dipole stick antenna worked the world and reached easily every state. I switched to 40 meters stick dipole and did just as well. About 5 years ago I finally built an end-fed dipole 5 band and got into digital. Worked perfect with an old laptop and a Rig Blaster Plus. I have worked all digital modes.
The Reviews Ive seen are simply reviews compared to the latest brand new radios. This radio is easily over 15 years old and it works like a champ. The CW filters I originally purchased for cw narrowed down the noise level significantly. Besides HF, the 6M and 2M make for one exceptional old transceiver all at 100 watts. I just happened to look at the new receivers and for $1200 or more, mine is not only a winner, but it sure is great having an old classic that I picked up for just under $500 in its hay day!

N0RRS Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2013 17:04 Send this review to a friend
RX PRE AMP is an issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these rigs brand new back in 2002. My first impressions were pretty good, but as time went on the radio developed an audio MosFET overload problem that completely killed the RX of the radio in the SSB mode. Strangely it seemed to work fine in all the other modes, just SSB was affected. Of course this didn't manifest itself until AFTER the one year factory warranty had expired. Icom wanted $100 plus parts and shipping to fix it. I sold the rig instead of fixing it. Several years later a fellow ham friend of mine had the same problem and found out that it was due to an extremely sensitive (i.e CHEAP) MosFET transistor being used in the audio PRE AMP section that could not handle strong signals, especially below 20 meters. It was fixable with a new part from Mouser for less than $10. Overall these are good rigs, but BE CAREFUL not to use the audio PRE AMP unless the signal is barely readable. I gave it a 3 for this reason.