Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-746 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-746
ICOM IC-746 Reviews: 246 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ICOM IC-746.
Description: HF+6M+2M Multi-mode transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-746.

N1HWQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 16:13 Send this review to a friend
ICOM still supports the IC-746  Time owned: more than 12 months
ICOM still supports the IC-746, despite claims on this thread to the contrary. I had a nearby lighting strike just last week that knocked out the ATU. I called up ICOM tech support and they told me to send it to the regional service center, which I did. They even gave me the name and number of the tech who would be repairing it! I called him up and explained the situation and he said "no problem at all". Expected turn around time is 10 days.

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2012 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for it's value and performance...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this 746 radio used from one of the ham radio web sites and I am impressed by it's performance,quality and user friendly of the control menu's,I'm not going to waste my time by others that really is not telling you of it's value and ratings on how it should be voted on its rating.I can't believe the un-intelligent persons that leave negative reviews on this radio.I found that the 746 is really a better radio than others for its value per price.After working and making contacts with other stations,it is really a great receiver as well and the transmit is on par,in other words they sound great,even with the stock filter 2.4khz on SSB.As for the CW side,the stock radio settings is not a problem when going in some break ups and the Twin PBT adjustment settings really does helps on those days.The DSP unit really shines from others that I work on ....Sure it has it's problems and I believe that this radio and other radios have their problems as well,you can't tell me that yours is better,it will be years to get a perfect radio that you want,I'm just happy that this radio has met my expectations and more some.The only problem that I encounter was that,every time that I would press the transmit button or the tuner button,the radio would loose power and shut down,than turn back on,even when the SWR was set to it's lowest settings and when I would key up on the mic PTT button,the radio would shut down,than back on .I got frustrated and started to check everything from the coax's,and the dummy load when hooked up.The only part that I didn't check was the power connector to the radio. When removed and inspected,I found that the standard 2 wire was ok,but when looking at the split wires that connects to other pin connectors and it Y's into other pins,the wire from that was so small in gauge and seems like someone has used small gauge wires and the pins were open as if it would just fall off by itself.So I slid off the cover to expose the connector on the 6 pin socket and straighten the wires that was heat shrunk and remove the female pins with a removal tool that I bought and closed each female pin connector and re-install the rest of the wire pins back in.Re-installed the power connector and pulled on it to make sure that it had a good grip.Tuned on the radio and did the same procedures that was having problems from shutting down.Ala,the problem was fixed,No More Power Shut Downs ....Was I in a relief to find out that all this time it was the power plug connectors being loose and under-sized gauge,now I know that it was the major problem and not the radio itself.....If you encounter this problems or have power shut downs,please check this power connectors and save yourself a trip to the repair shop.........Other than that,this radio has out perform my big radios that I used to owned.I am happy to own this 746 and it wil be the main stay station for quite awhile till it dies and find another if I have to to replace it.Like the other commented from the person that said : ( "Sadly though, Icom will no longer support the older 746 rigs so you are on your own if something happens to it." ) come on guy get real...any old radios that they manufacture cannot support (some) of the rigs,but you never try to see if they would repair them,their are other companys that will repair any make of radio's that has not been on the production line for quite some time now.....So I say,if you are looking for a great radio,get the 746 non(PRO)....you'l like it and more some.....For the other remarks from others,eh....they don't know a thing or two...73's........

K9FON Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2012 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Good but no more parts support from Icom  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a sweet rig!! Love the receiver on HF and the fact that it has 2 and 6 is an added bonus. Sadly though, Icom will no longer support the older 746 rigs so you are on your own if something happens to it..

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2011 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine since 2003. I also own other ICOM, Kenwood and Yaesu HF rigs and the IC-746 is my favorite. It has great receive and I have no complaints at all with this radio. ICOM hit a home run when they came out with the 746.

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2011 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this used off of original owner. Have installed some Filters for CW and nothing else. This rig is great, receive is outstanding. If I can hear it I can work it, with 100 watts. With the help of the Ameritron there is not much I can't work with the 746. Been in some huge pile ups and I find not more than a few calls and log the DX. I would suggest this rig to anyone, just add some filters and your all set.

SV8FMV Rating: 1/5 Jun 20, 2011 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Nothing-Nothing-Nothing.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This transceiver is not for Amateur.
Sick DSP.
Very strong receiver on VHF.
Giant noise (on HF).
No good QSO.
Realy rubbish.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Eleven years and not a hint of trouble  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig since the last week of June 2000. Had a couple of the ICOM filters installed and also did the crystal modification. I have not had one hint of trouble with this radio. Alignment is still good and works very well in all modes. Would not change it for anything out there.

K8TAH Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-746 for over ten years and it is just a great rig. The feature I like most is that it covers 2 meters. If you look at the multi-thousand dollar rigs offered today, they only cover HF+6 meters.
The audio is great and the internal tuner will match about anything. I did a mod so I can also work 60 meters.

MW0LDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 02:02 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive owned my second hand 746 (7400 here in the UK) for just over a week now. I bought it primarily as a 2 metre rig for the shack but have ventured down into the HF bands.
As a VHF rig it certainly matches the IC-910H in performance. A sold 100 watts, CTCSS, DTCS, very nice pre-amp stage in both HF and VHF. Even from the standard mic Ive received great audio reports.
The suprise for me came when I worked it for HF. For sensitivity, it certainly gives my FT-1000MP a run for its money with its excellent front end and very efficient filters.
The IC-7400 is never going to hands down beat a mid-range dedicated HF rig but I would certainly recommend the IC-7400 for any Foundation holder as a superb 1st rig that can offer the licence required 10 watts for M3 and M6 holders. Its a radio that will grow with you as you gain more ham experience. As for experienced hams, this radio will provide an excellent 2nd radio or a DX trip radio. I'm looking forward to trying the 6m band when it lifts.
Also, with Icom recently introducing the IC-7410, there are bargains to be had on the IC-7400..

WI0H Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2010 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm (4.5 out of 5)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this rig now for going on three years now, and I am very happy with it. Its proven to be a good forgiving 1st rig that's grown with me as my experience as a ham has increased. The audio is solid on both transmit and receive, especially when paired with the optional Icom desk mic. I'm also a big fan of the band scope feature, which is very handy when you're looking for activity on the band.

The only real drawback of this radio is that it is pretty drifty when using digital modes like PSK31. Of course, that can be remedied with the high stability CR-282 filter, but that's going for about $120 on ebay right now. You might also want to consider the 6kHz AM filter if you're an AMer as well, but I am not.

All in all, this is a pretty great little radio that's served me well so far. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if its in good condition.