Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hygain Explorer 14 Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain Explorer 14
Hygain Explorer 14 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $549.95
Description: Broadband Tri-Bander Beam with 40 or 30 Meter Option. Covers 10/15/20 Meters. EXP-14 has a
unique Para-sleeve concept that optimizes edge-to-edge bandwidth.
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/products.php?prodid=EXP-14

You can write your own review of the Hygain Explorer 14.

N8ILU Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2006 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the first beam I ever owned. Took some time to assemble but once up I have had no problem. It is up about 45 ft. in the air and I canít believe the signals I get. I do not have the 40 meter add on but hope to in the future. I would recommend this antenna to anyone. If you are looking for a smaller tribander try this one!

N9QZD Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2004 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna rocks! It is kind of a bugger to assemble compared to other designs, but it is well constructed. I have the 40 meter kit and it works fantastic. Antenna at 65 feet. If you need a smallish tribander, this one is worth a look.

VA6MJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2003 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna used in November 2002. Put up a tower on a city lot, Dec. 17th 2002. As a new HAM I was excited to get to working DX. Exactly one month (not contesting) I worked 130 countries. I run 100 watts and the tower / antenna is 42' high. I do not have one complaint with it however some of the neighbors seemed to find one (smile). Even as a used antenna (like new still in box), I tried to get new copy of manual off the Hy-Gain website. They had removed this model, I e-mail Hy-Gain. The next day received a reply asking for address. Two weeks later brand new manual arrived at no charge to me. I am impressed with Hy-Gain because this was not a new purchase and they did not owe this for no charge. I am impressed and will support Hy-Gain in the future of my antennas because of that.
Good quality hardware holding this together and I know I will have many years of dx'ing.
I am happy with this antenna and have done comparisons with others in the city and fair as well. Great antenna.

AA4XR Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2003 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an avid DX'er, and big fan of KLM yagi's, I put up the Explorer to hold me over while rebuilding my KT-34XA. After a couple of days on the air with it the KLM was sold!
The antenna is at a very modest 40 ft and has been maintenance & trouble free since it was put up. With it I've pushed my confirmed country total to 343 with relative ease and have cracked most pile-ups with one call. As a further test I decided to work QRP DXCC and managed to log 116 countries in a mere 25 hours while running 4 watts into the Explorer.
A beautiful antenna for the city lot DX'er!

W6WF Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2002 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for about 20 years...works quite well 10-40m and on 12 and 17 thru a tuner....good sigs reports on 12m off the "back" of the beam. If I can hear them I can work them.

N2ERN Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2002 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Honor Roll with this antenna at 40 ft. (Yes, I run a linear). I have the 40 M add-on also, and it works great, plus I have a Hy-Gain DB-1217 12 feet above it. which ceates a very small increase in SWR on 20 M, but is not objectionable. I have owned this antenna since 1984. It was originally installed on an old chimney and I worked my first 280 with that setup.

It's a fine antenna!

KL7IPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Explorer 14 antenna in the air for 18 years now. It resides in the heat of the Vegas area now but also spent 16 years in extreme heat and cold (+95 to -20) in the Colorado Springs area. It has never failed to get me a station I really wanted to work. It has gotten me thru pile ups to stations even when the calling stations were numerous. I have never run over 100 watts and with this antenna I see no reason to in the future.
Frank
KL7IPV

N2ETJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2001 17:51 Send this review to a friend
A well kept secret  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 15 years with no mechanical problems other than the BN86 balun being a piece of junk...... replaced using a choke wound from RG-8 and no problems since..... this antenna blows away most of the competition. As all antenns, it is getting a little pricy, but still one of the best values for someone looking for a hi gain, great f/b ratio and solid construction. This is a very heavy antenna, 45 lbs., but works great on my roof top tripod with Ham 4 rotor. I highly recommend this antenna for anyone looking for a small profile, big performance tri-bander. I did not install 40 meter add on kit but others I have talked to didnt think it was very good. If you have any questions, feel free in contacting me via e-mail.

VA3DJL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2001 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Beam on 20 and 40M  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna is very large! However it has a nice tight footprint on 20M and 40M (if you add the optional kit). Worked great for us at field day and CQWWDX.